The curious case of David Fifita

At the Titans, he usually does more minutes than that, whether he's effective or not.

I don't think he's anywhere near 100% and was included in the squad as a gamble that didn't pay off.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

A superstar of the game, I was really looking to see his destructive impact for Tonga.

But he played a bit part in all Tonga games, playing limited minutes from the bench and had limited impact....................was he not fit?

Is he a superstar of the game though,he certainly has the physical attributes & potential to be but he’s nowhere near that status at this present time.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Is he a superstar of the game though,he certainly has the physical attributes & potential to be but he’s nowhere near that status at this present time.

That's subjective, his salary and status indicates he is...........whether he produces on a consistent enough basis to justify it is debateable. Hence my question

What David Fifita needs is to be coached by a Craig Bellamy or a Trent Robinson.

He catches the ball stood still most of the time for the Titans and again for Tonga this World Cup.  He is either incapable of being coached into playing in decent attacking structures or his coaches are incapable of getting the most out of him.

Which is a shame because the raw talent is immense.  He scores freakish tries picking the ball up from dummy half, imagine if he were given the running options of Kikau, Angus Crichton or Kenny Bromwich.

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The new Dave Taylor.  Size, power and skill.  Got all the big wraps then absolutely nothing. 

Bryce Cartwright is another recent example that was hyped to the hill then produced very little. Jamall Idris another.

Some players never live up to their potential.  Plenty of time for  Fifita yet but something somewhere needs to drastically change

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

The new Dave Taylor.  Size, power and skill.  Got all the big wraps then absolutely nothing. 

Bryce Cartwright is another recent example that was hyped to the hill then produced very little. Jamall Idris another.

Some players never live up to their potential.  Plenty of time for  Fifita yet but something somewhere needs to drastically change

“Jamal Idris” I’d forgotten about him. Didn’t he quit the game at a young age to go travelling around Asia?

43 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

exactly what I posted on the match thread - the new Dave Taylor 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

For those comparing Fifita with Dave Taylor it is worth remembering that Taylor scored 42 tries in 181 appearances in Australia while Fifita is already on 37 in 84 appearances.

(Other comparisons are difficult to come by but I would be amazed if Fifita wasn't ahead).

Fifita may or may not live to his full potential.  But to be clear that potential is a lot more than Taylor.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Let me put last season for David Fifita into context.

I will start by saying that I don't think he is playing anywhere near the level he can and part of that is that the Titans don't seem to be able to get the most out of him... whether that is him or the team/coaching staff is an unknown I guess.

Viliame Kikau is widely regarded as one of the best players in the world.  In fact, on here, he was named by at least one poster as one of the top 5 players in the world.  He played last year for the champion team, the Panthers.

So Kikau is one of the best players in the world and Fifita the next big flop.

But, last year...

- Fifita scored more tries per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more line breaks per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more tackle breaks per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more runs per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more run metres per game than Kakau.

- Fifita missed fewer tackles per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made made fewer errors per game than Kakau.

So, my question is... if Fifita is a flop and kikau one of the best in the world, just imagine how good Fifita would be in a top team with a top coach and he actually lived up to his potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

I can see where the Taylor comparison comes from,both huge humans who could produce periods of play that opposing players/teams couldn’t defend against albeit inconsistently.

Fifita is probably more talented & doesn’t come up with the brainfarts Taylor did but both are/were frustrating to watch.

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

There's a thread in this lol.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Let me put last season for David Fifita into context.

I will start by saying that I don't think he is playing anywhere near the level he can and part of that is that the Titans don't seem to be able to get the most out of him... whether that is him or the team/coaching staff is an unknown I guess.

Viliame Kikau is widely regarded as one of the best players in the world.  In fact, on here, he was named by at least one poster as one of the top 5 players in the world.  He played last year for the champion team, the Panthers.

So Kikau is one of the best players in the world and Fifita the next big flop.

But, last year...

- Fifita scored more tries per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more line breaks per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more tackle breaks per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more runs per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made more run metres per game than Kakau.

- Fifita missed fewer tackles per game than Kakau.

- Fifita made made fewer errors per game than Kakau.

So, my question is... if Fifita is a flop and kikau one of the best in the world, just imagine how good Fifita would be in a top team with a top coach and he actually lived up to his potential.

Its always easy to compare stats but equally wrong. Kikau plays a roll in a double grand final winning side, he is not required to do more than his role is in the team. Fifita is in a lower level side whoch would require him to be more involved over the game. 

A recent interview with Mark Geyer he stated how Fifita was at the moment under utilising his talent, i think its with James Grahams bye round podcast. 

4 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Its always easy to compare stats but equally wrong. Kikau plays a roll in a double grand final winning side, he is not required to do more than his role is in the team. Fifita is in a lower level side whoch would require him to be more involved over the game. 

A recent interview with Mark Geyer he stated how Fifita was at the moment under utilising his talent, i think its with James Grahams bye round podcast. 

So you are agreeing with me then?

6 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I’d take Kikau over Fifita any day of the week.

Just now, Dunbar said:

So you are agreeing with me then?

Far from it, just highlighting stats don't always give a true picture. And I don't think Fifita would (at this moment) provide Penrith with a better option than Kikau, but kikau has left them so we will see if he is as effective out of that side . 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Far from it, just highlighting stats don't always give a true picture. And I don't think Fifita would (at this moment) provide Penrith with a better option than Kikau, but kikau has left them so we will see if he is as effective out of that side . 

Next year will be interesting for Kikau as we will see his contribution outside of a top 8 (top 1) team.

Equally, Fifita shows that despite playing poorly in a poorly coached side, he is more than capable of breaking tackles, making breaks, scoring tries and everything else you would want from an edge forward.

I would love to see what a top club and a top coach could turn him in to.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

Nothing wrong with big Dave Taylor, he produced some great for for South’s 

Some players it’s mostly mental, he was a different beast big Taylor, he had to be happy in his surrounds to fire, when he was at South’s he lived next to my mate at Cronulla, he had his boat & spent all his time out fishing, he’d walk over to the beach for a surf, he was pretty happy, you disrupt that & things soon go pear shaped

i suspect Fifita needs to find his happy place