1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/22 at 20:15

45 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

English fans are just as critical of the decision to use an English ref for England games as we are for using Australian referees for Australia. 

Maybe, but not the person I was responding to.

I was drawing attention to an individual poster that only made sole reference to the ARLC as if they were bullies and sole beneficiaries of such appointments.

Edited by Sports Prophet

1 hour ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Don’t know but why can’t they pick neutral refs when they are available based on the matchup. NZ v Aus = English ref. What’s difficult about that?

In this occasion, there isn’t. There are a good few English referees that could blow the whistle for this match.

The ARLC aren’t appointing the referees. Stuart Cummings is I believe as acting MO Coordinator (or a title of similar standing) for the IRL.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

In this occasion, there isn’t. There are a good few English referees that could blow the whistle for this match.

The ARLC aren’t appointing the referees. Stuart Cummings is I believe as acting MO Coordinator (or a title of similar standing) for the IRL.

Ok explain to me why Stuart Cummins hasn’t selected an English Ref for this match?

10 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Ok explain to me why Stuart Cummins hasn’t selected an English Ref for this match?

That's not a particularly fair question to ask.

Rugby League has had a policy of non-neutral referees for some time.  The appointment of individual referees is not something that we can see.  If we suggest that the Australians had a part to play in an Australian refereeing Australia then the same could be suggested of an English referee for England.

Personally, I think the whole mess could be avoided by just appointing neutral referees for each game.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

I agree, but then again I suspect both Oz and NZ would rather play with a ref that refs NRL-style week in week out.

This is an optics issue but it also plays both ways unfairly on the referee. On one hand if a call goes to the aussies he’s viewed as siding with his country but also he can over compensate by giving lenience to the kiwis to not look one sided. It puts the ref in an unfair position. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

This is an optics issue but it also plays both ways unfairly on the referee. On one hand if a call goes to the aussies he’s viewed as siding with his country but also he can over compensate by giving lenience to the kiwis to not look one sided. It puts the ref in an unfair position. 

I completely agree that you pick a ref that is perceived to be neutral.  I'm just saying given the choice the teams would probably select an NRL ref and that would probably be an Aussie.

And of course any Aussie will claim an English ref isn't neutral anyway because we all want them to lose.  Which we do.

7 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

I agree this all can be overcome easily. The issue raises itself especially though when England plays Australia. There are no stand out referees of neutral nationality to appoint.

In saying that, any individual who thinks a WC referee favours or disfavours their nation of birth in a match is an ignoramus.

The real issue that needs addressing is where are all the Kiwi and French referees?

I agree this all can be overcome easily. The issue raises itself especially though when England plays Australia. There are no stand out referees of neutral nationality to appoint.

In saying that, any individual who thinks a WC referee favours or disfavours their nation of birth in a match is an ignoramus.

The real issue that needs addressing is where are all the Kiwi and French referees?

Agreed we need more French and kiwi refs.

• Like 1

If we have an SL ref doing australia they’re awestruck and favour them … but we don’t want an NRL ref doing australia … or a SL ref doing England … or an NRL ref doing England coz they give us nowt . We have a very limited pool unfortunately and they pick the best person for the job as they see it and rely ( obviously) on them just doing the job as they see it . I don’t see the alternative . Whoever it is gets picked apart anyway by us but they’ll be impartially doing their best of that I’m sure .

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Remind me please who refereed Eng v PNG?

Yes, and I called that out also. As did others.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Good on ya Jacksy. Cut from a similar cloth you and I 👍

To be fair most posters on this forum have criticised the lack of neutral references at international level for a long time now,we really need a development program for non Aussie/England officials.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

To be fair most posters on this forum have criticised the lack of neutral references at international level for a long time now,we really need a development program for non Aussie/England officials.

I know they do. I was responding to one post that got the response it deserved.

Development programme, we sure do. If we can create a pathway that gets a woman to referee at the WC, then the odds and history in the sport seriously suggest we should always have at least one Kiwi and one Frenchy capable for top level refereeing.

15 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Australia look in form, New Zealand don't. On that basis, Australia by 15 and more.

Can't argue with this. Aussies have cruised through to the semis while NZ have looked unconvincing. Would love the Kiwis to turn them over but think it's the Aussies by 2/3 scores.

Hopefully they knock ten bells out of each other so their potential final opponents reap the benefits as the Aussies did after the Eng-NZ semi in 2017.🤞

2 minutes ago, The_Gun said:

This will be my first live game of rugby since the 2013 semi-finals at Wembley and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Going with some mates who live in Leeds, but anyone got suggestions for best pubs around Elland Road?

Not been round there for many a year but from recollection if you stick a Man Utd shirt on the locals will give you a warm welcome.😁

• Haha 1