1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/22 at 20:15

3 hours ago, UTK said:

Interesting statistic about the Kangaroos in this match - If Reuben Cotter makes the final 17 (assuming Mitchell, Addo-Carr and Wighton are locked in) then 4/17 (24%) of the Kangaroos will be Indigenous Australians, for reference Indigenous Australians make up 3.8% of Australia's total population.

To put some further perspective on this, there have only been 14 Indigenous Australian Wallabies in their entire history and 4 of those converted to RU when they were fully professional RL players, a few more of those 14 were similarly poached while playing for junior RL representative sides.

12 of the Kiwis 19 man squad are Maori (63%) with Maori individuals making up 16.5% New Zealands population.

This is interesting about NZ. 

Are the other 7 of Pacific or European origin? 

I noticed some are both, Watene-Zelezniak and Rapana have Polish and Italian ancestry I think. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

This will be interesting because this Kangaroo side is pretty poor relatively to the sides of previous era's but also the Kiwi side looks poor. Going life and death with Fiji is a little telling.

But historically NZ do seem to play at the level of thier opposition. 

As always we either underestimate the Kangaroos or we try and talk ourselves into underestimating them (usually at our peril).

This Kangaroo team doesn't look nearly as strong as previous one's but they have played well.

The Kiwis on paper look as good as they have ever done but haven't really performed yet.

But in a one off game, it could be, and I am hoping for, a great contest.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 09/11/2022 at 16:51, Exiled Wiganer said:

I have read your post above, and can’t work out what you’ve decided to do.

Are you going to any games or not?

If not because of web site issues, why didn’t you pick up the phone? 

We won’t have a World Cup over here for another 11 years. 

TBH I'm not betting against it being back here in 2029.

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

6 hours ago, Niels said:

This is interesting about NZ. 

Are the other 7 of Pacific or European origin? 

I noticed some are both, Watene-Zelezniak and Rapana have Polish and Italian ancestry I think. 

Yeah I think there's a few with mixed heritage, from the rest you've got mostly Samoans (Brown, Asofa-Solomona, Papali'i, Leota, Liu, Mulitalo) alongside Foran who is presumably of European descent.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Black Country Wire said:

TBH I'm not betting against it being back here in 2029.

I dont think it will be either, nor do I think we deserve it after the disappointing way it's been organized this time.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think Australia will win and in some ways i hope they win as I want to beat them in the final and I think we can 

I want them to lose but to smash NZ to pieces whilst doing it

We'd gobble up a bruised NZ easily 

More important we win WC by any means than think we have to beat the convicts doing it 

22 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As always we either underestimate the Kangaroos or we try and talk ourselves into underestimating them (usually at our peril).

This Kangaroo team doesn't look nearly as strong as previous one's but they have played well.

The Kiwis on paper look as good as they have ever done but haven't really performed yet.

But in a one off game, it could be, and I am hoping for, a great contest.

If both carry on as they have done then it's going to be a comfortable, if uninspiring, Australia win.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think Australia will win and in some ways i hope they win as I want to beat them in the final and I think we can 

Yep, if we do become world champions and we don't beat the Aussies to do it they will just deny we are the best team for the next 3 years - the history books won't though.

I would love to see the aussies get binned by NZ but I know it won't happen.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Two points I will make about this match

Firstly, this is a good but not vintage Kangaroos line up

Secondly, Maybe due their soft schedule, the Kangaroos will suffer "All Black syndrome" tonight where a side who has had comfortable wins in the opening rounds of a global tournament chokes under pressure from a better opponent.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Secondly, Maybe due their soft schedule, the Kangaroos will suffer "All Black syndrome" tonight where a side who has had comfortable wins in the opening rounds of a global tournament chokes under pressure from a better opponent.

Can't say I think that holds any water - NZ's two toughest games have come against Lebanon and Fiji.....Australia have played both of them sides as well. They just hammered them, where NZ struggled. Aus by 16 for me. 

2 hours ago, jacksy said:

I would love to see the aussies get binned by NZ but I know it won't happen.

On paper they’re reasonably evenly matched sides. Maybe the Aussies would be 60/40 favs on talent, so if the Kiwis actually play up to their potential then we could have a good game on our hands.

Unfortunately thus far NZ have performed worse than the sum of their collective parts by some distance.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I ruddy well hope so.

22 hours ago, UTK said:

Yeah I think there's a few with mixed heritage, from the rest you've got mostly Samoans (Brown, Asofa-Solomona, Papali'i, Leota, Liu, Mulitalo) alongside Foran who is presumably of European descent.

Apparently Foran's dad is one of the richest men in New Zealand. He was the CEO for Woolworths in Australia for years.

Just googled it. His Dad was CEO of Walmart USA... Must be swimming in cash.

Edited by Welshleaguelover
Fact check.

9 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Apparently Foran's dad is one of the richest men in New Zealand. He was the CEO for Woolworths in Australia for years.

Just googled it. His Dad was CEO of Walmart USA... Must be swimming in cash.

To be fair, it is not difficult to be one of the richest men in New Zealand.  It is mostly a jewellery based economy and if you have one of the Nine Rings then you are immediately in the top 1%.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris