1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 15:00

1 minute ago, The Legend said:

In normal time they actually drew. They lost the penalty shoot-out. 

If it were a 3 games series we'd have a win and a draw going into the last game. 

They drew and lost a game they should have won fairly comfortably in spite of Samoa’s improvement, that’s the point!

They came into the game flat and complacent then found themselves struggling in a battle they should have been able to win without too many scares.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

We can add Whiteheads offload with 1 PTB remaining in drop goal position with George Williams in your team as a huge howler too. They are quite a range of pretty big errors that usually wouldn't happen. I think the occasion got to some of them. 

I understand people being OTT yesterday, emotions are high, maybe a few beers etc. but in the cold light of day, perspective is needed. 

If you're prospective is to accept loosing to a team that you were expected to beat then I guess that's fine. Personally I wanted to take my Son to the final and watch England lift the trophy 🏆 that's all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

If you're prospective is to accept loosing to a team that you were expected to beat then I guess that's fine. Personally I wanted to take my Son to the final and watch England lift the trophy 🏆 that's all. 

First game Samoa were favourites with the bookies. Clearly they'd been on the lash for a week before. 

34 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

I'm sure every England fan there wanted to go to the final and see us win. 

We don't all act like spoilt brats if it doesn't happen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, WN83 said:

Left the house at 7am and got back about half an hour ago. What can you say?! We just put ourselves in a bad spot and couldn’t quite pull it back. We should’ve won the game, even playing like that but we just couldn’t settle and find the patience needed. 

What I hate on days like today is how the fingers start pointing, based on your club loyalties-It’s Watkins fault, Wanes fault, Tomkins and Micky Macs fault, Welsby’s fault, Whiteheads fault, Radleys fault, a mixture of them all and everything in between. It was the teams fault, not any individuals. We started slowly and got no intensity going until the last 15 mins and even then, we couldn’t stop panicking. 

Pretty gutted tbh, I thought we’d at least get a day out next Saturday. In the main the players and coaching staff have been great in the tournament. We need more internationals and we personally need to regroup and come again. I think we’ve a very decent side forming, with some big players to come back in and young lads to break through. It’s tough to keep putting these disappointments behind us but I’ve seen 2 amazing games in the last couple of days and I want more of it. 

Good fair post. We simply did not turn up on the day. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

Still devastated. 

Home World Cup...

Am I the only one with the impression that England should have kept it simple, instead of always looking for the extra pass, the moneyball etc? 

By the way, the way we "played" extratime was embarrassing. The forward pass itself...why? There, you just have to advance tackle by tackle, then kick and have Samoa start from deep. Instead, after getting out of prison free the first time (thanks to Whitehead's miracle), you just gifted them another chance. 

Kicking game and game management was unacceptable at test level. The lads were just unable to play under pressure. And I won't start talking about defence...

Who's responsible for all this? Can it mean (some of the) players aren't good enough? Is the "being used to the intensity of the NRL" really a myth (as most of us forumers think)? Cause yesterday it was clear out players had something less. 

Whenever Samoa attacked, I had a feeling we were vulnerable. Whenever they "opened" their game and were quick and expansive. 

Why do I have a feel we've been backwards? 

Australia would have beaten us by 40 points and I won't be surprised if they keep snubbing us.

Looking too much into it. As I pointed out on another post the lads simply failed to turn up on the day. Think that’s what will hurt them the most. Too many boys had an off day and as a result came off second best in a one off game. Shaun Wane visibly gutted during after match press conference. He knew a capable team had failed on the day. It happens.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, SUPERSTUD said:

Looking too much into it. As I pointed out on another post the lads simply failed to turn up on the day. Think that’s what will hurt them the most. Too many boys had an off day and as a result came off second best in a one off game. Shaun Wane visibly gutted during after match press conference. He knew a capable team had failed on the day. It happens.

Yes, let's celebrate.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Just now, SUPERSTUD said:

It’s simple. You can never revisit the past. It’s gone forever. Let’s keep on the move and see where life takes us.

So why discuss sports events on a forum. 

It's was a proper failure and we keep losing in World Cups.

4 hours ago, Damien said:

He's 21 and playing in his first World Cup ffs. He has played a total of 5 games for England, all in this World Cup. He also has played pretty well until yesterday. To dismiss him as a flat track bully when far more experienced internationals lost their heads is ridiculous.

I think some posters have been waiting for an opportunity to have a go at Jack Welsby for a while. IMHO he does not endear himself to opposition fans with some of his antics on the pitch. Gobbing off and throwing himself to the floor etc. However so far he is well ahead of his time and is undoubtedly a good player. I am not a Saints fan. I prefer him at fullback for his link up and attacking play. He like others had an off day yesterday but was not the reason we lost. Let’s give him some respect and hope he continues to prosper in the future.

Samoa are a very good team with a number of top NRL players, so not a surprise that they won. England have been a very accomplished efficient side up until yesterday but tbh they lack game breakers. Welsby was very quiet, Williams tried hard, but would you describe anyone as would class? Would any of the team make the Australian side? 

Much as I am gutted England didn't win as I'm going to the Final, I think Samoa have an outside chance of beating Australia. I didn't think England had any chance.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's weird how some of the posters that have pushed heritage teams then spit their dummies out when we actually lose to one and think it's an outrage that we lose to a tier 2 team.

Losing at home against a team that is not Australia nor NZ is an outrage indeed. Heritage or not.

16 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

So why discuss sports events on a forum. 

It's was a proper failure and we keep losing in World Cups.

We can discuss on here but we can never physically revisit and change yesterday’s result. What we can do is all stick together in times of massive disappointment and hope that we eventually end up with rich pickings in the future. It will taste so much sweeter if we do. Yes it’s been a long time but we will get there one day. Just believe.

2 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

We can discuss on here but we can never physically revisit and change yesterday’s result. What we can do is all stick together in times of massive disappointment and hope that we eventually end up with rich pickings in the future. It will taste so much sweeter if we do. Yes it’s been a long time but we will get there one day. Just believe.

Let's hope so...

Still, we had a huge chance yesterday and failed.

7 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I think some posters have been waiting for an opportunity to have a go at Jack Welsby for a while. IMHO he does not endear himself to opposition fans with some of his antics on the pitch. Gobbing off and throwing himself to the floor etc. However so far he is well ahead of his time and is undoubtedly a good player. I am not a Saints fan. I prefer him at fullback for his link up and attacking play. He like others had an off day yesterday but was not the reason we lost. Let’s give him some respect and hope he continues to prosper in the future.

I just don't understand the club centric mentality when it comes to England. It is clear some have been dying to slag off players like Welsby or Wane as coach. For me I can honestly say I don't care what team someone plays or is associated with when they are in the England setup. Welsby is a cracking player who doesn't deserve to be singled out as some are trying to do. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Losing at home against a team that is not Australia nor NZ is an outrage indeed. Heritage or not.

This is 2022 not 1995. There is little difference between Samoa, Tonga, NZ and England these days. We either embrace a more competitive international scene, and be happy with that, or moan like babies. I personally think Samoa joining Tonga and Fiji in beating a tier 1 nation is great for Rugby League.

Edited by Damien

Just now, Damien said:

This is 2022 not 1995. There is little difference between Samoa, Tonga, NZ and England. We either embrace a more competitive international scene, and be happy with that, or moan like babies. I personally think Samoa joining Tonga and Fiji in beating a tier 1 nation is great for Rugby League.

But as England fans, we can be outraged. It can be good for the game (down under) but not for us.

After 50 years of failures and humiliation, we have the right to be outraged if we lose a World Cup sf at home. 

We were very bad and didn't honour the badge. 

The way we "played" the extratime was amateurish.

Otherwise if we want to say it's ok to lose to Samoa at home and go backwards (final away in 2017, sf home now), well it's ok.

But imho England fans have every right to feel down and ask people to take responsibility for their failure. Players and coach.

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

But as England fans, we can be outraged. It can be good for the game (down under) but not for us.

After 50 years of failures and humiliation, we have the right to be outraged if we lose a World Cup sf at home. 

Otherwise if we want to say it's ok to lose to Samoa at home and go backwards (final away in 2017, sf home now), well it's ok.

But imho England fans have every right to feel down and ask people to take responsibility for their failure. Players and coach.

As usual you reply with something quite different than the point you had made.

5 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I thought we were shocking yesterday, it really did look like they had fallen in love with themselves, but what’s more disappointing is even playing so poorly we had a chance to win the game but that golden point performance was absolutely diabolical.

Its a missed opportunity but not the end of the world like some are going on about.

• Thanks 1