1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/22 at 15:00

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I thought we were shocking yesterday, it really did look like they had fallen in love with themselves, but what’s more disappointing is even playing so poorly we had a chance to win the game but that golden point performance was absolutely diabolical.

Its a missed opportunity but not the end of the world like some are going on about.

This.

This proves this Samoa side - with all due respect - was beatable. If we played like yesterday against NZ or Australia, we'd have lost with a cricket score.

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

23 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

So we can't criticize them cause they're in the England setup.

You and anyone can and do criticise them as individual players, as a team, as team management, as an organisation.

Indeed, without such criticisms, the forum would hardly exist.

However, the critics need to accept that they will also be criticised.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

You and anyone can and do criticise them as individual players, as a team, as team management, as an organisation.

Indeed, without such criticisms, the forum would hardly exist.

However, the critics need to accept that they will also be criticised.

Somebody said "moan like babies". 

Edited by MatthewWoody

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

No more so than losing against NZ though.

Not sure about this. 

Still, a failure. 

In football terms, I'd say yesterday's (for how bad we played) loss is more a 2012 Euros vs Italy on penalties than a 2021. I mean, in 2012 in Kiev was still a matter of inches but England had been embarassing. Like yesterday in rl. 

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

Not sure about this. 

Still, a failure. 

In football terms, I'd say yesterday's (for how bad we played) loss is more a 2012 Euros vs Italy on penalties than a 2021. I mean, in 2012 in Kiev was still a matter of inches but England had been embarassing. Like yesterday in rl. 

You are moaning about losing against Samoa instead of a tier 1 nation. That is your premise regardless of performance.

On 12/11/2022 at 14:29, shrewsbury roughyed said:

The mascots have been amazing all through the tournament. Really look as though they’re enjoying the occasion 

The World Cup event has, I was told yesterday, engaged 3,500 youngsters in the mascot, flag-bearing and dancing etc. That's a really important part of bringing people into the game.

Yesterday, the kids from our club had the absolute privilege of being mascots for England. (apologies; copied from the RLWC Legacy thread)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm losing the plot here.

We lost very narrowly in a thrilling game: a game that had us on the edge of our seats. Any neutral supporter, or potential  fan of the game watching for the first time, would have loved every minute. If Samoa had won like that against Australia or NZ, we'd be eulogizing about it.

But they beat England instead. It was still an amazing game. England lost; the sport of Rugby League didn't.

(The result may have dented the potential for the growth of the game in this country, but only may. I'm not sure, even if we'd won the tournament, that the sport in the UK would have been able to capitalise on it.)

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Its not a defence. His age and experience just illustrates how ridiculous it is writing off a 21 year old with a good 10 years left in the game. We did pick our more experienced players and they were our worst, the likes of Watkins, Tomkins, McIlorum, Williams.

Williams, you must be crazy. He was our only threatening player. 

I've only just pulled myself to being able to post on the forum, since yesterday.

For my money, we just don't have the level of intensity and frequency of the highest caliber rugby league games to become conditioned to playing the occasions. Our game management lost us the game yesterday. We were poor in certain areas, but should have had enough to take the game in extra-time. We need to ensure we play the best teams in the world as often as possible. It sounds like we are going to need to jump on a plane more often that not, sadly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Williams, you must be crazy. He was our only threatening player. 

Nope as a half he was terrible. Constantly running down blind allys and stifling any attack. He must have gone himself at least 5 times on the 4th tackle and he lacked the creativity to set up his outside backs. That meant he continually did what Williams resorts to, stupid kicks at stupid times, and his kicking game was attricious too. He was the George Williams I was glad to see leave Wigan.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Nope as a half he was terrible. Constantly running down blind allys and stifling any attack. He must have gone himself at least 5 times on the 4th tackle and he lacked the creativity to set up his outside backs. That meant he continually did what Williams resorts to, stupid kicks at stupid times, and his kicking game was attricious too. He was the George Williams I was glad to see leave Wigan.

Sounds a little bitter, pity few agree with you. 

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I will need to find the will to watch the game back again but from the first viewing I thought a lot England's problems stemmed from distribution - either the dummy half or the middle forwards looking to link.  There was no accuracy and no urgency at all.

Williams was reaching over his head to catch a ball or always having to adjust his body position to collect.  This led to him having to change the play as the edge defence had come in.  Not every single time but enough for it not to have been just Williams looking lost.

When he did run the ball he was dangerous, as he proved in setting up both the Whitehead and Farnworth tries.

I thought he was one of a few who could come off with his head up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Charming 

Apologies if that sounds harsh, and I don't mean to be personal (and I havent followed your posts so I'm not aiming it directly at you), but don't suggest that being able to be pragmatic about a loss means in any way that people weren't bothered about winning, or are accepting of failure. 

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I will need to find the will to watch the game back again but from the first viewing I thought a lot England's problems stemmed from distribution - either the dummy half or the middle forwards looking to link.  There was no accuracy and no urgency at all.

Williams was reaching over his head to catch a ball or always having to adjust his body position to collect.  This led to him having to change the play as the edge defence had come in.  Not every single time but enough for it not to have been just Williams looking lost.

When he did run the ball he was dangerous, as he proved in setting up both the Whitehead and Farnworth tries.

I thought he was one of a few who could come off with his head up.

Williams runs himself and kicks, that's what he does. He will always make half breaks because he runs time and again. Some people rate that but I want a half who offers a little more than constantly going himself on the 4th tackle and then leaving no kick option on the 5th. He tries hard but that is part of the problem, he tries too hard to make it happen himself.

As an experienced half he should have been directing the play and showing some composure but instead he was part of the problem. That is compounded when Tomkins and Welsby aren't offering that either.

Edited by Damien

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Apologies if that sounds harsh, and I don't mean to be personal (and I havent followed your posts so I'm not aiming it directly at you), but don't suggest that being able to be pragmatic about a loss means in any way that people weren't bothered about winning, or are accepting of failure. 

I was just being honest if that qualifies me of being a "spoilt brat" fine it's a forum and I'm viewing my opinion without name calling.