Scenes in Apia, Samoa after win

rlno1

This is great. The first 30 seconds I was thinking ‘nothing really extraordinary about 20 people scattered along the side of the road’ but when they get to the main road it’s brilliant.

I’m in Brisbane and apparently in the Redbank Plains area which has a big Pacific Islands community, police were called today to break up all the crowds of people this morning. I think the local Samoans were basically doing what they are doing in this video - hooning around, beeping their horns, letting off fireworks.

remember the game started at half past midnight here so I don’t think some of the locals were too happy being kept awake all night by the celebrations 😆

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DiH68 said:

This is great. The first 30 seconds I was thinking ‘nothing really extraordinary about 20 people scattered along the side of the road’ but when they get to the main road it’s brilliant.

I’m in Brisbane and apparently in the Redbank Plains area which has a big Pacific Islands community, police were called today to break up all the crowds of people this morning. I think the local Samoans were basically doing what they are doing in this video - hooning around, beeping their horns, letting off fireworks.

remember the game started at half past midnight here so I don’t think some of the locals were too happy being kept awake all night by the celebrations 😆

Add South Auckland to that, the Samoans have been partying from the early hours  and  continued all day

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Casually scanning some Samoa news pages and I came across one that began with, "They should readying themselves for Mass but instead they are celebrating Toa Samoa's famous victory."

And I still can't work out if they were pleased or angry about that.

Fantastic scenes though. Absolutely joyous.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, DiH68 said:

new rise.jpg

Fantastic to what their national team mean to them. Heartening to see the effects it's having on the nation. The Samoan team will see these scenes and it will strengthen their resolve and make them have a real go at the Aussies. Regardless of the outcome they can go home with their heads held high and be very proud of themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s a great example of how “heritage” teams are perfectly acceptable to some nations/cultures.

You clearly do not speak Samoan.

They are driving round in fury going, "HAVE YOU SEEN, ONLY TEN PER CENT BORN ON THE ISLAND, LOOK AT HOW I COMPARE IT TO THE RUGBY UNION SQUAD ON WIKIPEDIA?"

• Haha 10

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, iangidds said:

Great to see , send the Lions there for a tri nations with Tonga ! Guaranteed full houses and great advertisment for RL

Please don't send the lions anywhere.. just let England go over if you want to send anyone... 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Casually scanning some Samoa news pages and I came across one that began with, "They should readying themselves for Mass but instead they are celebrating Toa Samoa's famous victory."

And I still can't work out if they were pleased or angry about that.

Fantastic scenes though. Absolutely joyous.

They were both pleased and angry at the same time.

• Haha 1