No more underselling the game says Rhodri Jones

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that has to be caveated with "at Warrington".

Leeds or London could host the mens game at far more "normal" prices. York should be a no brainer for the Women's game. £7.50 for an England mens test match is simply far too cheap.

Its low effort for low, if any, returns. 

Yeah that is the issue. The price is just reflective of little effort and is where you end up when you decide to play this match at at a normal SL ground and essentially just try to appeal to RL fans, who in the main have shown little enthusiasm for this fixture.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that has to be caveated with "at Warrington".

Leeds or London could host the mens game at far more "normal" prices. York should be a no brainer for the Women's game. £7.50 for an England mens test match is simply far too cheap.

Its low effort for low, if any, returns. 

I'm not convinced. We have no evidence that London crowds will pay more. 

We got 67k in 2013 at Wembley on the back of dirt cheap double headers. The going rate for an RL test in London is still dirt cheap. 

There will be modest variances, but this isn't a Warrington issue, or a Huddersfield issue, or a Leigh issue, or  London issue. It's an RL issue. 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Evidence, even from RLWC2021, suggests that fewer games in the heartlands would have delivered BOTH better results in the heartlands and better results outside of them.

Its a small passionate area. It can sustain a lot, but evidently there was too much in some places this Autumn. 

What evidence is that? Anyway as we know even if that was the case there was Northern Powerhouse funding so most games had to be in the North. 

Just now, Eddie said:

What evidence is that? Anyway as we know even if that was the case there was Northern Powerhouse funding so most games had to be in the North. 

Higher attendances in 2013, higher attendances for 2021(2) in places like Leeds where you didn't have multiple games on a single weekend, and higher attendances outside of the Heartlands in 2021(2) too.

80% had to be in the North, we chose to push that to well over 90%.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Higher attendances in 2013, higher attendances for 2021(2) in places like Leeds where you didn't have multiple games on a single weekend, and higher attendances outside of the Heartlands in 2021(2) too.

80% had to be in the North, we chose to push that to well over 90%.

The Coventry, Middlesborough and Newcastle attendances weren’t especially impressive if you exclude England’s opener. Even the London semi final crowd was disappointing as it was the only game there and involved England.  I do agree however that there were too many games in Warrington, St Helens and Doncaster.  

19 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The tickets were way overpriced to watch Kearball.

Whilst I accept the John Kear teams do not play the most entertaining rugby, they gave their all in the WC and had some good games as an underdog. I enjoyed their game against PNG at Doncaster and at 10/15 pounds then if that is overpriced then the whole game is in trouble.

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Coventry, Middlesborough and Newcastle attendances weren’t especially impressive if you exclude England’s opener. Even the London semi final crowd was disappointing as it was the only game there and involved England.  I do agree however that there were too many games in Warrington, St Helens and Doncaster.  

Out of interest, which crowds weren't disappointing? England games excepted.

46 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Out of interest, which crowds weren't disappointing? England games excepted.

The final. Other than that I’d say they all were, which is primarily due to the ridiculously high prices.  Anyone who thinks they’d have got better crowds at Ashton Gate, Home Park or wherever at those prices is wrong imho. 

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The final. Other than that I’d say they all were, which is primarily due to the ridiculously high prices.  Anyone who thinks they’d have got better crowds at Ashton Gate, Home Park or wherever at those prices is wrong imho. 

That's fair, if maybe a bit harsh. Though it could be argued the same crowd at a place like Ashton Gate would have been a better thing. Though that's probably not a discussion for this thread. 

On 14/12/2022 at 12:41, RigbyLuger said:

Nail on head. It shouldn't be cheaper to watch the national team play than it is for a regular Super League game. I assume it's less than for some Championship and L1 games too. 

The point is that for the first round games the prices locally was more than double SL games.

19 hours ago, Eddie said:

Middlesborough got 8,300 in a completely non-RL area, which was better than many of the crowds in so-called heartland areas.

That included some of the games in Warrington - a supposed hotbed for Rugby League which was rewarded for pathetic WC crowds by being given the next England game

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

Still, I'd expect any World Cup game (especially when there are the World Champions) to sell out in the so called RL towns. 

Why? 

We have done very little to sell our international game. And pretty much nothing to sell the likes of Lebanon, Jamaica, Cooks etc. 

It's the most arrogant thing we've ever done to just stage what was not far off a standalone series of random games with little build up and stick the price tags we have done. 

There is a fair argument that the attendances were exceptionally strong considering the absolutely amateur way we scheduled, staged, priced and sold the games. 

We can't just keep sticking some games on every few years and expect fans to turn out in numbers. We have to actually put then effort in. 

• Like 4

On 14/12/2022 at 18:52, Dave T said:

I'm not convinced. We have no evidence that London crowds will pay more. 

We got 67k in 2013 at Wembley on the back of dirt cheap double headers. The going rate for an RL test in London is still dirt cheap. 

There will be modest variances, but this isn't a Warrington issue, or a Huddersfield issue, or a Leigh issue, or  London issue. It's an RL issue. 

To be fair, the London thing is probably because you get folks from the "heartlands" whinging that they have to pay to get there. You can't win!

1 hour ago, zorquif said:

To be fair, the London thing is probably because you get folks from the "heartlands" whinging that they have to pay to get there. You can't win!

Well no, if people say London brings a crowd that pays more, the Northern fans are not a factor. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zorquif said:

According to IMG, as well as previous surveys after "London" events, a great many of the spectators are actually from the Capital and surrounding counties.
Personally, I'd have liked to have seen the France double header played in the capital, maybe somewhere like Craven Cottage. 25,000 would be a fair target for IMG to gauge the "importance" of the capital.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2022 at 11:10, glossop saint said:

Whilst I accept the John Kear teams do not play the most entertaining rugby, they gave their all in the WC and had some good games as an underdog. I enjoyed their game against PNG at Doncaster and at 10/15 pounds then if that is overpriced then the whole game is in trouble.

I paid £30(?) to sit on the halfway line and feel able to comment however I like on Kearball. I'm one of the unfortunates who have had to watch it for several years. If he was still at Odsal, I wouldn't have renewwed my season tickets for this season.

In fairness, I've only been  going since 1975

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I paid £30(?) to sit on the halfway line and feel able to comment however I like on Kearball. I'm one of the unfortunates who have had to watch it for several years. If he was still at Odsal, I wouldn't have renewwed my season tickets for this season.

In fairness, I've only been  going since 1975

Comment however you like, but that doesn't stop me disagreeing with you that I thought Wales were good value for money at the world cup. Not free flowing attractive rugby but plenty of heart and fight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1