Viaplay Championship coverage

Tubby

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe they want customers to pay the full price? £15 a month is decent for four or five games of championship rugby league. 

I'm sure they do, but it's not unusual for marketing budgets to be used in such a way to persuade new customers and if there's a deal available, it would be churlish to not take advantage.  Apologies if this offends.

Since Premier became Viaplay there have been zero offers for supporters/followers of any sports. It really doesn't seem to be their model to offer lower or introductory offers.

It's £14.99 a month and that seems to be that.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I'm sure they do, but it's not unusual for marketing budgets to be used in such a way to persuade new customers and if there's a deal available, it would be churlish to not take advantage.  Apologies if this offends.

Not offended, it’s just that RL fans (myself included) seem to think everything should be discounted and cheap, for what we also know is a quality product. It’s a strange situation. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Since Premier became Viaplay there have been zero offers for supporters/followers of any sports. It really doesn't seem to be their model to offer lower or introductory offers.

It's £14.99 a month and that seems to be that.

if you had subscibed last year [like me] you would have been offered a deal.

14 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

They have emailed me today to say that my subscription has lapsed but no offer of a discount. They have told me to phone them so perhaps they are going to offer me one then.

Has any one been offered anything?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not offended, it’s just that RL fans (myself included) seem to think everything should be discounted and cheap, for what we also know is a quality product. It’s a strange situation. 

I don’t think it’s necessarily just RL fans. We’re all feeling the squeeze and I can’t justify £15 a month for extra TV. We all Hebe our own priorities. 

39 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

They were Premier last year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily just RL fans. We’re all feeling the squeeze and I can’t justify £15 a month for extra TV. We all Hebe our own priorities. 

It’s always been that way with RL though, people on this forum expecting challenge cup final tickets for a tenner etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Don’t explain yourself. There’s no need. 

Hope the people who subscribed and then unsubscribed when the season finished, get themselves a decent deal. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s always been that way with RL though, people on this forum expecting challenge cup final tickets for a tenner etc. 

Discounts are standard in all forms of entertainment. Does anyone ever pay full price for Sky or Virgin? I'd be surprised if they do. 

Not everything is down to RL fans being tight.

TBH, Viaplay doesn't really offer much value for me. Showing four lower division matches on a Monday evening for £15 a month is poor value. I subscribed last year but won't be doing so this year. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Don't forget there is another vociferous group of RL fans who complain when there are discounts, because they feel the game's cheapening itself. 

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Discounts are standard in all forms of entertainment. Does anyone ever pay full price for Sky or Virgin? I'd be surprised if they do. 

TBH, Viaplay doesn't really offer much value for me. Showing four lower division matches on a Monday evening for £15 a month is poor value. I subscribed last year but won't be doing so this year. 

Do BT ever do discounts these days? I got some excellent deals for a few years - partly by being a BT customer - but now the offer is basically, "This is the cost. Here you go." Whereas, as you say, Sky will offer discounts.

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Do BT ever do discounts these days? I got some excellent deals for a few years - partly by being a BT customer - but now the offer is basically, "This is the cost. Here you go." Whereas, as you say, Sky will offer discounts.

I get BT included in my Virgin package, so have never looked for an offer tbh. 

A quick search shows some offers, they do seem a bit stingy....

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A quick search shows some offers, they do seem a bit stingy....

They really are. Mind you, I think they are meant to be doing a proper relaunch of the sport channels now that they are in the joint venture with Eurosport and (?) Discovery.

Viaplay's model is just really weird. I can't believe there are too many people subscribing because of more than one of its products TBH.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’m in a contract with them. At the time it was cheaper than Sky for what I wanted included. Now it’s not, 12 months on regretting the two year commitment ☹️

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

They really are. Mind you, I think they are meant to be doing a proper relaunch of the sport channels now that they are in the joint venture with Eurosport and (?) Discovery.

Viaplay's model is just really weird. I can't believe there are too many people subscribing because of more than one of its products TBH.

Nordic Noir carrying them 😜

£80 for a full year when you only want the RL

or £15 a month for, say, 5-6 months when you only want the RL (and you can cancel when you want)

It's basically the same thing.

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Out of interest - that is £3.75 a game.

What would be your price point?

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Out of interest - that is £3.75 a game.

What would be your price point?

It's more the fact that I wouldn't watch 4 games a month. You don't really get a choice of games, and if you miss one or two then you find yourself paying £7.50, or maybe even £15 per game - I have no interest in anything else they broadcast. 

I subscribe to Sky Sports, showing at least 5 live RL games a weekend, plus we get games on C4 and the BBC. £15 to top all this up with 4 lower division games isn't good value imo.

Half that price would probably do it, but in reality, it's probably a doubling of that content, two games a week with a little bit of choice. But that's just personal preference, I accept that.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's more the fact that I wouldn't watch 4 games a month. You don't really get a choice of games, and if you miss one or two then you find yourself paying £7.50, or maybe even £15 per game - I have no interest in anything else they broadcast. 

I subscribe to Sky Sports, showing at least 5 live RL games a weekend, plus we get games on C4 and the BBC. £15 to top all this up with 4 lower division games isn't good value imo.

Half that price would probably do it, but in reality, it's probably a doubling of that content, two games a week with a little bit of choice. But that's just personal preference, I accept that.

To further quantify it - £15 per month for a maximum of 8-10hrs content is expensive when I look at c£30 for Sky Sports with maybe up to 100hrs per month.