Match thread: Championship Round 5: Featherstone v Bradford. Monday 6th March 2023.

marklaspalmas

Best described as workmanlike, that performance. And boy did we lack composure in the second half, trying to force things, how many times did we turn the ball over through unnecessary offload attempts? When coaches talk about "building pressure" that was the one thing we just didn't do.

Still, we got the win, and if we needed a wake-up call then that was it. I did think we looked the stronger team for most of the game, but we need to be more ruthless and clinical than that. .

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 3

I always thought pickersgill had been overlooked as I rated him but tonight he may as well had a bulls shirt on overall a poor fev performance with a shed load of basic errors but a wins a win however up and under training for the next month is desperately needed it may be partly due to playing in the dark with the terrible lighting.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Best described as workmanlike, that performance. And boy did we lack composure in the second half, trying to force things, how many times did we turn the ball over through unnecessary offload attempts? When coaches talk about "buiulding pressure" that was the one thing we just didn't do.

Still, we got the win, and if we needed a wake-up call then that was it. I did think we looked the stronger team for most of the game, but we need to be more ruthless and clinical than that. .

It's looking like a slow process, after all it's a Marathon not a sprint.

• Like 1

Yes Briscoe was poor defensively. but he can finish. We just about won the arm wrestle, and a wins a win. Poor goal kicking from Patton for them. I thought most of the team had an off day with some poor ball control at times but I think that our defence overall was a big improvement on Mcds.

• Like 1

Everybody kicks there kicks was a 8 point ball game and how the game went overall probably would have been fair. You did edge us I was pleased to see us stay in the fight last year that been another 40-50 beating. 

ref was poor for both teams gave stuff one set same stuff happen other way which he just ignored but he wasn’t the difference,

any idea on the crowd?

4 minutes ago, Bullmania said:

Everybody kicks there kicks was a 8 point ball game and how the game went overall probably would have been fair. You did edge us I was pleased to see us stay in the fight last year that been another 40-50 beating. 

ref was poor for both teams gave stuff one set same stuff happen other way which he just ignored but he wasn’t the difference,

any idea on the crowd?

4000+   ,141  from Bradford. 

• Haha 1

That was a very moderate performance from Fev although i do give the defence credit for keeping  Bradford to under 14 points which i put down as my marker.Both  tries from kicks too which are difficult to defend.As stated in an earlier post Pickersgill was very poor at full back can't even get the basics right.Holmes was not much better for Bradford.I said after the first game Ford and Cozza needed to play better .Well they are doing and i am very impressed by Cozza's work rate.He deserves his place on merit.He will not get mentioned for player of the match because he will only score the odd try and not get too involved in the passing plays but i admire his whole round effort.Briscoe has had problems with  defence and catching kicks for the last couple of seasons and tonight i thought Gale looked our best winger.Bradford can take more out of the game than us .They defended very well and stifled our attacking flair.Highlight of the night for me was seeing The Big Fella Neil present the Peter Fox Trophy he must be 83 and looked in fine fettle.

• Like 1

One of the rare occasions where I think all of our props had poor games and made unforced errors. Briscoe poor under kick pressure but a brilliant finish made it one each way for him. Couldn't do much about the Holmes try with him being at least 2 yards offside. Gale back to the 2021 version of himself which is great to see. Ford's bullet pass for his try was class.

First 10 of the second half we came out and turned the screw, then for some reason we tried to be Harlem Globetrotters. I think Yei knocked on every time he got the ball, or it seemed that way. Their third try was a shocker to give away. Letting a man who was laying on the floor get up and make 10 yards before offloading with 3 in the tackle was pretty poor.

All in all a win is a win against a confident, but disappointingly followed Bradford side.

P.S Dec Patton is terrible. 

Edited by Michael Bates

The defence is way better than last season, otherwise we might have lost last night. 
My main concern is how poor we were when they kicked it high, particular Briscoe and Pickersgill. Teams are going to look at that and kick it to Luke all the time. Personally, I’d give Evans a run out against Fax, but give Pickers the benefit of the doubt as it was his first match back. I just can’t see how we can go into crucial matches with such a big issue.

• Like 1

I agree with much of these posts. I thought the turnout from Bradford was very poor , I would say around 150. We like to sit in the railway stand but why gave away a complete stand for 150 speccies ?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, haskey said:

I agree with much of these posts. I thought the turnout from Bradford was very poor , I would say around 150. We like to sit in the railway stand but why gave away a complete stand for 150 speccies ?

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

What is the 141 based on?  Bradford's direct ticket sales?  Just for completeness, I was standing with a couple of Bradford fans who bought tickets on arriving, and there were others in the queue at the ticket office when I bought mine.  I'm  not saying it was vastly more than 141, but there were those buying tickets in Featherstone, not from the Bradford club.

11 hours ago, Daft old hooker said:

Someone said 4000 but not seen an official announcement 

According to our favourite reporter 4012

10 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

Couldn't do much about the Holmes try with him being at least 2 yards offside. 

When tindell challenged briscoe he knocked the ball to the ground so knock on for their second but no video ref so  like holmes you just have to get on with it 

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

The defence is way better than last season, otherwise we might have lost last night. 

True M you could see unlike last season we've definitely let that genie out of the bottle especially when we have to defend extra sets on our line 

10 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

First 10 of the second half we came out and turned the screw, then for some reason we tried to be Harlem Globetrotters. I think 

AGREE MB I think we got it into our heads if we score then it's game OVER and started offloading for offloadings sake unlike in other games when we just kept piling on the pressure resulting in a multitude of tries 

Any way interesting what sean had to say and would hazard a guess next week against the panthers all the globetrotting stuff will not be  making  an  appearance

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 11:08, POR said:

According to our favourite reporter 4012

When tindell challenged briscoe he knocked the ball to the ground so knock on for their second but no video ref so  like holmes you just have to get on with it 

True M you could see unlike last season we've definitely let that genie out of the bottle especially when we have to defend extra sets on our line 

AGREE MB I think we got it into our heads if we score then it's game OVER and started offloading for offloadings sake unlike in other games when we just kept piling on the pressure resulting in a multitude of tries 

Any way interesting what sean had to say and would hazard a guess next week against the panthers all the globetrotting stuff will not be  making  an  appearance

Attendance 4809