Are Fev in trouble?

Thankfully only eggs , Fev do have a problem with the attitude of a small minority of their fans , hopefully it won't be dismissed and they do accept it and try to get through to them , at Leigh we have a small group who insist on singing one particular song , this despite the club owner repeatedly asking them to stop 

It is a problem within the sport albeit a minor one , all clubs need to be vigilant and take any indiscretions seriously 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It does seem these incidents are carried out by very small groups of yobs that I would like to think are not true, dedicated supporters of rugby league. They certainly do not reflect at all the attitudes of the vast, vast majority of fans. RL will always pride itself on its community and friendliness between groups of supporters and we should not let these isolated incidents detract from that. 

Even when football hooliganism was at its most prevalent it was only ever a small percentage of the total and look how that panned out.

We're nowhere close to that by the way - but constant downplaying isn't helpful either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don’t know what has gone wrong at Fev re some supporters, many years ago My dad and me were at a game stood amongst the Fev fans and a couple of young lads in front of us started swearing, an old guy,a Fev  fan, tapped them on the shoulder and said, ey lads, none of that it’s Sunday and women and kids are here, I have never forgotten that, the last time I went, with my wife, we were subjected to vile abusive language, albeit from a very small group but enough for the wife to say she wouldn’t go there again. It is such a shame  as it was a ground me and my dad liked to go to.

• Like 3

Imo some of the causes are linked to Free season tickets to Kids, parents who don’t give a poop what their kids get up to and very poor stewarding.

Fev have some fantastic fans but have a lot of over zealous kids who in todays society have no fear of the law or parental direction.

If the club ain’t going to steward it properly it will be left to fans who give a poop about their club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Imo some of the causes are linked to Free season tickets to Kids, parents who don’t give a poop what their kids get up to and very poor stewarding.

Fev have some fantastic fans but have a lot of over zealous kids who in todays society have no fear of the law or parental direction.

If the club ain’t going to steward it properly it will be left to fans who give a poop about their club.

I once stopped a group of youngsters 13/14 ish at Leigh from ' stoning ' a Barrow coach as it was leaving , I knew a couple of the lads ( and one knew me ) and my assertion that if they continued with their actions they would be banned and in trouble made them abandon their plans 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I once stopped a group of youngsters 13/14 ish at Leigh from ' stoning ' a Barrow coach as it was leaving , I knew a couple of the lads ( and one knew me ) and my assertion that if they continued with their actions they would be banned and in trouble made them abandon their plans 

There's a useful management phrase along the lines of "what you walk past is what you're prepared to accept".

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Most clubs have a small minority of undesirables who they wish would stay away.

Whether that is Warrington 'Fans' smashing windows of Cas coaches, Wakefield and Castleford fans having pitched battles throwing bottles or 4 eggs thrown at a coach by pre-pubescent scrotes.

I am sure most clubs will have similar problems, but hey, if it fits your narrative that it's only Fev then wake up and smell the coffee.

Then we, as Supporters and the clubs we follow as well as the administrators of the sport should be doing all we can to flush these scumbags out, if it means shaming them on social media and having discussions about it to put a stop to it then that's what it takes.

But then we can bury our heads in the sand, claim your club is being picked on and shift the blame/ accept it because apparently every other club have these kind of problems.

This issue is a Featherstone problem primarily*, not for the first time, it's also a RL problem and by shifting the focus on to other clubs is just crass and more or less condones the actions rather than try and put a stop to it.

*Also Wakefield and Castleford have had problems with anti social behaviour from their fans, is there something wrong in that part of the world?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I can't quite think of how to phrase this so apologies if it comes across badly.

It's one thing about the lack of media attention and reach our sport has that this probably won't put us in a bad light because no one outside the hardcore fan base will ever find out about these incidents occurring. I will just clarify, I do not condone these incidents at all and am not making excuses for them.

It does seem these incidents are carried out by very small groups of yobs that I would like to think are not true, dedicated supporters of rugby league. They certainly do not reflect at all the attitudes of the vast, vast majority of fans. RL will always pride itself on its community and friendliness between groups of supporters and we should not let these isolated incidents detract from that. 

That is also true of football but plenty of people, RL fans in particular and posters on here (not necessarily aimed at you btw) are quick to pin the yob label on football fans when there's just as much bad behaviour at RL.

I've seen and been inadvertently involved in far less trouble at football than I have RL over the years.

Far too often RL fans are very quick to blame football fans for any trouble at any of our games.

RL has a problem with certain elements of certain clubs' support base, and even though you rightly say the sport isn't big enough for it to attract mainstream coverage it doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, meast said:

That is also true of football but plenty of people, RL fans in particular and posters on here (not necessarily aimed at you btw) are quick to pin the yob label on football fans when there's just as much bad behaviour at RL.

I've seen and been inadvertently involved in far less trouble at football than I have RL over the years.

Far too often RL fans are very quick to blame football fans for any trouble at any of our games.

RL has a problem with certain elements of certain clubs' support base, and even though you rightly say the sport isn't big enough for it to attract mainstream coverage it doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

The " it's football fans " excuse does have some credence , but only usually at bigger , sometimes derby or big cup matches , when non regular locals come to the sport and bring with them the football mindset , I'm not making an excuse , all clubs and fans of those clubs should do all they can to prevent this happening 

But when we see it at essentially run of the mill league fixtures it is RL fans , to say otherwise is disingenuous 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Saw Mark Campbell trying to stop their fans attacking our bus, think he must have wanted to sell the eggs they were throwing. Desparate 

Edited by Fevrover
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fevrover said:

The idiots on film don't even go to the Fev games BUT they need weeding out and something doing about it. Why they do it I've no idea.

Indeed , it's a problem , as you put , this is outside the actual stadium footprint , we once had a group waiting for us , we assumed they were golf balls , might well have been eggs , the only real solution might be for the local ' plod ' to get a squad car down just before the final whistle , should give out the message hopefully , I can't really see any other way 

Best of luck with it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, daz39 said:

They've always had idiots at their games, obviously some make it to board level too.

I've found thier fans that come to London are livelier than most and by that I mean more drunk. Not seen anything other than some inappropriate shouting etc.....however at PO road I was surprised at how many gangs of teens just roam around not really watching the game 

I assume they get in for free or next to nothing which I think is a good thing. There needs to be better stewarding of them though....last season I ended up telling off some kids for shouting swear words across the stadium at each other right next to my young ones  

Hasn't put me off going but it doesn't help ...I might be less inclined to bring my young kids though 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 2

Indeed , it's a problem , as you put , this is outside the actual stadium footprint , we once had a group waiting for us , we assumed they were golf balls , might well have been eggs , the only real solution might be for the local ' plod ' to get a squad car down just before the final whistle , should give out the message hopefully , I can't really see any other way 

Best of luck with it 

Not a bad idea that about having some Police there before match ends, something needs to be done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've found thier fans that come to London are livelier than most and by that I mean more drunk. Not seen anything other than some inappropriate shouting etc.....however at PO road I was surprised at how many gangs of teens just roam around not really watching the game 

I assume they get in for free or next to nothing which I think is a good thing. There needs to be better stewarding of them though....last season I ended up telling off some kids for shouting swear words across the stadium at each other right next to my young ones  

Hasn't put me off going but it doesn't help ...I might be less inclined to bring my young kids though 

The stewarding in PO rd is pretty good , we had a ' loon ' come over shouting abuse the other year , one of our female fans belted him 😂 , and the stewards/security quickly removed him from the area , it can be a bit ' warm but I've never seen anything inside , it's outside on the car park and PO rd itself that's the problem 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

The stewarding in PO rd is pretty good , we had a ' loon ' come over shouting abuse the other year , one of our female fans belted him , and the stewards/security quickly removed him from the area , it can be a bit ' warm but I've never seen anything inside , it's outside on the car park and PO rd itself that's the problem 

Exactly, but some away fans but mostly them who DON'T  come tar us all with the same brush sadly but some just like to bash Fev.

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The stewarding in PO rd is pretty good , we had a ' loon ' come over shouting abuse the other year , one of our female fans belted him 😂 , and the stewards/security quickly removed him from the area , it can be a bit ' warm but I've never seen anything inside , it's outside on the car park and PO rd itself that's the problem 

That wasn't MC was it?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Thankfully only eggs , Fev do have a problem with the attitude of a small minority of their fans , hopefully it won't be dismissed and they do accept it and try to get through to them , at Leigh we have a small group who insist on singing one particular song , this despite the club owner repeatedly asking them to stop 

It is a problem within the sport albeit a minor one , all clubs need to be vigilant and take any indiscretions seriously 

Are the club able to get them on camera singing so they can ban them? I know other clubs have done similar in the past. (why football clubs don't do that with chanting about people dying is beyond me, and we all know the chants at Elland Road for example have been around for decades.)

45 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

What for trying to stop some idiots from doing wrong 😔?

Obviously not that incident no.

1st time i ever went to Fev we were 'attacked' for changing ends at half time, apparently they knew away fans would go round the back of the side terrace and waited there for them, sounds like 30 years on not much has improved in the fan base mentality.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a cost implication to that for Fev to consider though.

As I recall ( I might be wrong ) but the police station is literally half a mile away , I'm not suggesting a match long presence , just a squad car parked up beside the car park with a couple of yellow vests stood within eyesight for 30 minutes as the games end , really shouldn't need a cost 

45 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Are the club able to get them on camera singing so they can ban them? I know other clubs have done similar in the past. (why football clubs don't do that with chanting about people dying is beyond me, and we all know the chants at Elland Road for example have been around for decades.)

It is being looked at 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Obviously not that incident no.

1st time i ever went to Fev we were 'attacked' for changing ends at half time, apparently they knew away fans would go round the back of the side terrace and waited there for them, sounds like 30 years on not much has improved in the fan base mentality.

Yes it has , no changing ends anymore , as an away fan you now get your own dedicated stand with seats and a roof ( unlike Wheldon Rd ) and a muddy car park as well 😂

As I recall ( I might be wrong ) but the police station is literally half a mile away , I'm not suggesting a match long presence , just a squad car parked up beside the car park with a couple of yellow vests stood within eyesight for 30 minutes as the games end , really shouldn't need a cost 

If it takes the police away from other duties for a set period of time on a regular basis then Fev should pay for it

• Like 1