Its Handley not Hanley. Ellery hasn't played for Leeds for nearly 30 years....🙂

Its utter nonsense to say Smith doesn't want a hooker with a rugby brain. What he seems to want is a hooker who first and foremost delivers quick ball to the halfbacks and can defend. I'm sure Roby would agree that is the first job of a hooker. That doesn't mean Smith thinks the hooker should never run the ball or pass to someone else if they see a chance.

The problem with Leeming is that he uses his 'rugby brain' to kill plays too often by going on his own (several times running on the last and getting tackled, which I thought most would agree is generally considered the opposite of smart rugby). Dwyer was even worse for that and can't pass properly, which is why he left first.

Leeming was first choice in the first two games this year. You can easily make a case that he didn't deserve to start there given O'Connor was first choice at the end of last season, including reaching a grand final. We were awful against Wire when Leeming's defence was as bad as anyone, and after a second loss vs Hull he was dropped to the bench. He got injured vs Sts and missed Wakey because of it. It seems he has just decided he isn't going to fight his way ahead of O'Connor and wants to leave.

Its not great for Leeds that Leeming wants out. But he hasn't exactly shown a lot of fight when it comes to winning back his role.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd rather have McShane in a team every day of the week over Leeming

Mcshane is way off form at this time. 

Id take leeming for his ruck speed

6 hours ago, redjonn said:

O'connor does scoot occasionally. Leeming overdoses it at times and sometimes just runs into a wall.

Obviously Leeming has the better overall game given his experience. Then again he does give penalties away with his arm stuck in the attacker. Don't know if it's deliberate in trying to show down ptb or a technique issue. Nevertheless it happens a lot.

As an outsider looking in oconnor is a small loose forward playing hooker. 

Oconnor tackles and is a defensive 9, whereas leeming is an attacking 9

Its kruise leeming for me every day of the week

• Like 1

8 hours ago, redjonn said:

O'connor does scoot occasionally. Leeming overdoses it at times and sometimes just runs into a wall.

Obviously Leeming has the better overall game given his experience. Then again he does give penalties away with his arm stuck in the attacker. Don't know if it's deliberate in trying to show down ptb or a technique issue. Nevertheless it happens a lot.

It’s deliberate he’s one of those players who stares a the ref while he does it. 

9 hours ago, redjonn said:

Anyway I think leeds have more issues than hooker/dummy half duties. On that though its about balance as what's best with your half backs you have. Leeming, Sezer, Austin don't gel that well.

I still don't think leeds have a strong set of props plus they tend to play with a soft/passive defence with some jumping out the line when patience keeping yer shape is more needed. Against saints they played a more aggressive defence and looked better for it.

Apart from Hanley they don't have good winger options. Centre winger combinations are not their yet, although newman back will help one side. If myler gets injured and Hanley drops back that will make issue worse.

If only Hanley was playing for Leeds. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The storm said:

As an outsider looking in oconnor is a small loose forward playing hooker. 

Oconnor tackles and is a defensive 9, whereas leeming is an attacking 9

Its kruise leeming for me every day of the week

O'Connor for me...they nickname him super glue or something as he never misses tackles...strong carrier too for his size ....Kruise signed his Leeds death warrant with those silly fifth play runs near the line earlier.in the season ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

O'Connor for me...they nickname him super glue or something as he never misses tackles...strong carrier too for his size ....Kruise signed his Leeds death warrant with those silly fifth play runs near the line earlier.in the season ...

Only 21, as tough as they come, never misses a game, a tackling machine whose offensive game is starting to improve.

Leeming's seen the writing on the wall, I reckon.

• Like 1

It’s going to be interesting how it pans out for Leeming.

Smith will not pick him anymore so unless he can get something sorted he could end up sat not playing.

He must have had something in the offing? Although it can’t be in SL they can’t talk to other clubs yet can they?

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Smith will not pick him anymore so unless he can get something sorted he could end up sat not playing.

He must have had something in the offing? Although it can’t be in SL they can’t talk to other clubs yet can they?

Unless he was given permission to. 

I imagine he's been given permission to talk to other clubs. But that doesn't mean Leeds will release him. They probably will, despite Hetherington's talk of a fee, but they don't have to make it easy for him to go elsewhere, and nor should they as he signed a contract which he now wants out of.

13 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Dual reg him....send him to Odsal

14 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes I agree he must have something in the offering and no doubt Australia.

4 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

We could do a swap for Flanagan Snr. Seriously though Smith saying he doesn't want to replace Leeming so that tells you his opinion of him Zero. 

My opinion of Leeming has dropped also.

When Brian Mcdermott was coach at Leeds, Rob Burrow was told he would be playing a bench role going forward and Burrow and McDermott clashed heavily over this - he could easily have spat his dummy out as he would have been in far more in demand than Leeming is,  what was Rob's attitude? I'll show you!! That year he went on to win MOM in the GF scoring probably the best try ever in a GF.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

When Brian Mcdermott was coach at Leeds, Rob Burrow was told he would be playing a bench role going forward and Burrow and McDermott clashed heavily over this - he could easily have spat his dummy out as he would have been in far more in demand than Leeming is,  what was Rob's attitude? I'll show you!! That year he went on to win MOM in the GF scoring probably the best try ever in a GF.

Spot on Leeming doesn't want to be at the club and the club doesn't want him, im guessing that's the stance of the club going forward I think a few other players will be looking over their shoulders now you either toe the line or off you pop.

1 hour ago, Tippytoe said:

Spot on Leeming doesn't want to be at the club and the club doesn't want him, im guessing that's the stance of the club going forward I think a few other players will be looking over their shoulders now you either toe the line or off you pop.

Weve needed this to happen for years

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just because Burrow did that, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for Leeming to do. Different player with a different relationship with the club, different coach, different situation, different clubs interested…literally everything’s different. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Just because Burrow did that, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for Leeming to do. Different player with a different relationship with the club, different coach, different situation, different clubs interested…literally everything’s different. 

A m just using it as an example if a player in a similar situation and how Leemings attitude is different 

To be honest I think he had the NRL thing lined up before all this, I wish him all the best, and simply if he doesn’t want to play for us he’s better gone.

Edited by Chrispmartha

I suspect he's been looking at the NRL for a while as well.  It has the feel of someone who made up their mind they'd leave as soon as a better offer came in, which really doesn't work in a contact sport where effort and commitment is vital. 

Reading some of Smith's comments it sounds as though Leeming has barely been in contact with the club.