Knights v Eagles cup tie.

spanishknight

4 hours ago, andyacko said:

Never ceases to amaze me, the quest to know how many were at the match - why?

It's the first thing I look at when I get League Express. It's gives an indication how the sport in general is doing. For instance if it said York v Sheffield Attendance 136. I would think blimey the game is on a slippery slope in the York area. I keep a few facts and figures at home and sometimes I compare the figures from previous seasons. Sad maybe to you but everyone's different.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andyacko said:

Never ceases to amaze me, the quest to know how many were at the match - why?

Probably it's tradition Andy or bragging rights , I think us as fans have always had this information and taken it for granted , but on the other hand why do most clubs post their attendance but we don't, are we ashamed ,other clubs don't appear to be , not expecting the real answer so I will leave it there.

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

Probably it's tradition Andy or bragging rights , I think us as fans have always had this information and taken it for granted , but on the other hand why do most clubs post their attendance but we don't, are we ashamed ,other clubs don't appear to be , not expecting the real answer so I will leave it there.

Sadly georgeb1 it's becoming a disease by a few clubs not to announce an attendance. Statisticians of the game like this sort of information. York in particular are improving upon their support base from their few years in the doldrums and should be proud of where they've come recently. Its a big city is York with lots to do rather than watch rugby league whereas for my club Fev for instance is more  community  based where attendances tend to hold up better. Well done by the way of your win against a very in form team especially after two recent set backs.

• Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

Anyone else watched on the tele & heard Robbie Paul call the pitch an 'island'! You must stay on the island he said when someone got pushed into touch.

Thought I was hearing things. Hope the lad who went in touch didn't get his feet wet!

Enjoyed Robbie Paul's commentary (sorry  Andy for not listening to you but the lure of the visuals was too much). However, Robbie hadn't done all his homework, wished us luck for the next round draw when of course it was already all done and dusted. Robbie was absolutely incredulous when Danny Kirmond was red carded, if a guy like him thinks it was a bit harsh then there's a good chance it was. Hope the LNER crowd enjoyed the spectacle even if we don't know how many of 'em there were (see other posts). Onwards and upwards.

WWE

11 hours ago, William Webb Ellis said:

Enjoyed Robbie Paul's commentary (sorry  Andy for not listening to you but the lure of the visuals was too much). 

Although I've been a neutral since Bramley folded, York are now my nearest club and having enjoyed my visits over the last year (I'll be there again on Friday), I've started listening to the Radio York commentary when I'm doing something else.

On Sunday I decided to watch the match on mute and have @andyacko's commentary playing at the same time.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 4

I think it’s a good indicator of where we are as a club - if it wasn’t, why just a few seasons ago at Bootham were the club shouting from the rooftops about opening 4 stands against Featherstone? Or telling everyone about our record Knights attendance against Bradford? Something I’ve noticed particularly about RL but also most kinds of entertainment is the need to create a buzz, we manage it on occasions, people are afraid of missing out and all kinds of industries play on that be it Prime energy drinks, an emerging band playing a tiny venue (my mates still go on about seeing Arctic Monkeys in a 100 capacity venue in Wakefield early on), Black Friday, or closer to home Wigan-St Helen’s which looks like it will sell out. 

As for attendances themselves there’s 2 points to make.

Firstly I’m a big believer in being honest and straight with people - if the club for whatever reason don’t want to release the figures (be it due to low attendances or not believing the stadium group) just say so and have done with it. Don’t have people in  a professional capacity (owner/general manager etc) saying they will be announced the day after and then not doing so, that shows an element of distrust when as a club I’d love us all - fans, staff, players, various supporters groups - to work together. There’s I believe 12 people working in the office, it takes 10 seconds to tweet the figure the following day.

Secondly, why are some people so concerned with the attendance? Well on a similar theme the club recently posted about Will Jubb being the 6th most capped Knights player. This is not to take away from Jubb’s achievement, he’s been a true professional for us and does some great things on and off the pitch. But are we all concerned about milestones? How’s about shirt numbers, is that really important other than to the ref? Try scorers - as long as we win does it matter who’s scored? For me I like to hear and see all that stuff. We could probably ditch announcing everything and really streamline it, but then you lose a part of the match day experience. IMO of course. 

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

Anyone else watched on the tele & heard Robbie Paul call the pitch an 'island'! You must stay on the island he said when someone got pushed into touch.

Thought I was hearing things. Hope the lad who went in touch didn't get his feet wet!

20 hours ago, Jimmy DoNut said:

Ah! That explains the Odsal pitch then. The tide must have come in.

Edited by JonT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, AB Knight said:

I think it’s a good indicator of where we are as a club - if it wasn’t, why just a few seasons ago at Bootham were the club shouting from the rooftops about opening 4 stands against Featherstone? Or telling everyone about our record Knights attendance against Bradford? Something I’ve noticed particularly about RL but also most kinds of entertainment is the need to create a buzz, we manage it on occasions, people are afraid of missing out and all kinds of industries play on that be it Prime energy drinks, an emerging band playing a tiny venue (my mates still go on about seeing Arctic Monkeys in a 100 capacity venue in Wakefield early on), Black Friday, or closer to home Wigan-St Helen’s which looks like it will sell out. 

Firstly I’m a big believer in being honest and straight with people - if the club for whatever reason don’t want to release the figures (be it due to low attendances or not believing the stadium group) just say so and have done with it. Don’t have people in  a professional capacity (owner/general manager etc) saying they will be announced the day after and then not doing so, that shows an element of distrust when as a club I’d love us all - fans, staff, players, various supporters groups - to work together. There’s I believe 12 people working in the office, it takes 10 seconds to tweet the figure the following day.

Secondly, why are some people so concerned with the attendance? Well on a similar theme the club recently posted about Will Jubb being the 6th most capped Knights player. This is not to take away from Jubb’s achievement, he’s been a true professional for us and does some great things on and off the pitch. But are we all concerned about milestones? How’s about shirt numbers, is that really important other than to the ref? Try scorers - as long as we win does it matter who’s scored? For me I like to hear and see all that stuff. We could probably ditch announcing everything and really streamline it, but then you lose a part of the match day experience. IMO of course. 

I do like your posts AB.  We should celebrate all success, big crowds, milestones, the lot. 

Edited by White Knight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

9 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Very well said

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

20 hours ago, White Knight said:

I do like your posts AB.  We should celebrate all success, big crowds, milestones, the lot. 

They are just a bit long. I need to develop a way of making my point in less than 10,000 words 🤣

• Haha 3