FEV and IMG

POR

An update to the club grading criteria was announced to the clubs today. Main thrust of it seems to be that the 2 points for location is now down to 1.5, partly to accommodate a rating worth 1 point for community work/foundations.

On paper that ought to be in our favour a little you'd think (though I have no idea how the excellent and wide-ranging work done by our foundation compares to other clubs), certainly any reduction of the points for location should help us.

Still think though that the detail which really counts is whether or not the grades are weighted depending on the division of the club. If they're not, it's going to work out heavily in favour of the status quo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wakefield Trinity chief executive Michael Carter – who will step down from his role at Belle Vue after a decade at the end of the 2023 season – has outlined why the West Yorkshire club will be voting AGAINST the proposals on Wednesday.

“We have the IMG grading issue upon us. We still have some reservations about the things that are in there,” Carter said in his program notes.

25 minutes ago, POR said:

Wakefield Trinity chief executive Michael Carter – who will step down from his role at Belle Vue after a decade at the end of the 2023 season – has outlined why the West Yorkshire club will be voting AGAINST the proposals on Wednesday.

“We have the IMG grading issue upon us. We still have some reservations about the things that are in there,” Carter said in his program notes.

Nowt like relegation to concentrate the mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, POR said:

IMG or not, they'll be a championship side next year and for the foreseeable future.

I’d kind of go along with this, if for instance Championship Clubs didn’t have to getting a better rating than the team at the bottom of SL. Surely this is totally unfair.

I think that minimum standards, if properly enforced, is a good thing, as it will drive the sport forward.  But is this just another exercise in self interest, where the assessments with be fixed. 

I'll be disappointed if we vote against.  Personally, I think we'll score really well - certainly better than either of our neighbours.  If we play this right, we could become the premier team of the Wakefield district.

I broadly support IMG's proposals.  Let's face it, something has to change.  This is about so much more than P&R, which naturally we fans tend to focus on.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I'll be disappointed if we vote against.  Personally, I think we'll score really well - certainly better than either of our neighbours.  If we play this right, we could become the premier team of the Wakefield district.

I broadly support IMG's proposals.  Let's face it, something has to change.  This is about so much more than P&R, which naturally we fans tend to focus on.  

You are deluded if you think they will admit Fev into SL without earning the right on the field.

• Like 1

Disappointed we either opposed or abstained.  Think it's very short sighted of the club, especially as it passed with such a massive majority.  We'll be lumped in with the awkward squad like Keighley.  It'll do us no favours at all.

We already have an image (unjustly) as a small time pit village, we've just given our detractors more firepower and increased our chances of being stuck in the championship forever.

The worst of it is, we've spent 15 years improving the club to get to where we are, we're already doing all of the things that IMG are looking for.  I'm certain we will score well and be there or thereabouts when the grades are announced.

18 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

You are deluded if you think they will admit Fev into SL without earning the right on the field.

Until proved otherwise, I'm working on the basis that a globally renowned sports management company, with a strong track record will not put their name to a corrupt process.  I expect the grading will be done transparently and professionally. Looking in detail at the published criteria, we score very well as far as I can see.

8 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I'm certain we will score well and be there or thereabouts when the grades are announced.

If that were the case why would we have voted against? I'm still concerned at the apparent lack of any weighting. Remember, Wakefield will score significnatly more for finiishing 10th and 12th in SL than we have for finishing second in Championship, their crowds will probably average 1-2k more than our simply because they were in SL, and there are other areas where they will have scored more highly simply because of their SL incumbency too.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If that were the case why would we have voted against? I'm still concerned at the apparent lack of any weighting. Remember, Wakefield will score significnatly more for finiishing 10th and 12th in SL than we have for finishing second in Championship, their crowds will probably average 1-2k more than our simply because they were in SL, and there are other areas where they will have scored more highly simply because of their SL incumbency too.

And that trend will no doubt be reversed next season.  They're pretty much relegated and we look likely to finally get promoted.  Next year matters too.

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Club statement.

Would have voted yes but for one minor detail

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/board-statement-img-vote-gA3Nh/

One detail but the most important. The criteria is heavily skewed in favour of existing super league clubs and clubs with bigger catchment areas. It’s a closed shop in all but name. If Fev don’t get promoted on the field this season then that’s our chance gone. You happy to watch meaningless games in the championship going forward? I’m not, it’s my last season then I’m out. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rarefrith said:

One detail but the most important. The criteria is heavily skewed in favour of existing super league clubs and clubs with bigger catchment areas. It’s a closed shop in all but name. If Fev don’t get promoted on the field this season then that’s our chance gone. You happy to watch meaningless games in the championship going forward? I’m not, it’s my last season then I’m out. 

I'm willing to give the process a chance.  IMG are no idiots, this could be transformational for the sport.

I just don't see them putting their names to a stitch up like the last attempt at licensing.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

... Personally, I think we'll score really well - certainly better than either of our neighbours.  If we play this right, we could become the premier team of the Wakefield district.

I just can't believe that anyone believes this is true, they will score better than us on finances, on field performance and fandom.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.