EDDIE HEARN COMMENTS :)

13 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So how did Kell Brook have so many big purse big venue fights if what you say is true?

Why has Eddie Hearn got a net worth of 50m and Anthony Joshua a net worth of 200m if Eddie Hearn is such a lowsy boxing promoter?

Your argument simply doesn’t add up mate.

Given all that - why don't you want the amazing Eddie involved?

My reasons are obvious: none of those numbers are true (no one says Joshua is worth that, the highest I can see anyone claim is that he has fought in fights worth £170m total) but, regardless, Hearn has failed far more times than his supporters like to admit. Unless the World Championship of Ping Pong and Superstars of Gymnastics really are packing them in alongside the surely-now-in-every-living-room Matchroom British Basketball All Stars Championship.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Given all that - why don't you want the amazing Eddie involved?

My reasons are obvious: none of those numbers are true (no one says Joshua is worth that, the highest I can see anyone claim is that he has fought in fights worth £170m total) but, regardless, Hearn has failed far more times than his supporters like to admit. Unless the World Championship of Ping Pong and Superstars of Gymnastics really are packing them in alongside the surely-now-in-every-living-room Matchroom British Basketball All Stars Championship.

I don’t know what’s wrong with you tonight I really don’t.

The numbers add up btw but perhaps you don’t like what they point to.

“In 2020, The Sunday Times Rich List estimated Joshua to be worth £115million, but since then, he has added at least another £100m to his personal fortune.“

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1375623/anthony-joshua-net-worth-career-earnings-sponsorship-deals-jermaine-franklin-eddie-hearn-tyson-fury-oleksandr-usyk/amp/

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

22 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I don’t know what’s wrong with you tonight I really don’t.

The numbers add up btw but perhaps you don’t like what they point to.

“In 2020, The Sunday Times Rich List estimated Joshua to be worth £115million, but since then, he has added at least another £100m to his personal fortune.“

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1375623/anthony-joshua-net-worth-career-earnings-sponsorship-deals-jermaine-franklin-eddie-hearn-tyson-fury-oleksandr-usyk/amp/

While it is a measure of personal success, I'm not sure we can use money to determine popularity or the fame of various sports stars.  The earning potential across almost all sports is many multiples higher than they were two or three decades ago but it doesn't mean they are more famous.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

While it is a measure of personal success, I'm not sure we can use money to determine popularity or the fame of various sports stars.  The earning potential across almost all sports is many multiples higher than they were two or three decades ago but it doesn't mean they are more famous.

I’m arguing that Eddie Hearn has been a very successful boxing promoter which I think most people accept given the purses involved and venues filled.

As a result I would never give him full control of rugby league in the U.K. as I don’t believe it could ever be his primary interest.

I actually think his analysis is sadly true about RL, but he is not the solution as the sole arbiter of everything.

That is my stance on this.

• Like 2

Hearn is right. 

The 2013 World Cup is probably the last time our great players had a profile above our sport that was fitting of their talents.

Union has gone the same way since taking the BT Sports coin for all their club games lessening their reach along with the autumn internationals going to Amazon Prime.

The likes of Welsby, French, Walmsley, Will Pryce etc should be widely recognised by the average sports fan but currently they are not.

And yet again we're guilty of confusing money with the other trappings of success,

Missing the point that all these things, the markers are more related to visibilty of the sport and beyond that the personalities involved and their earning capacity.

Our sport is only the best kept secret so are our characters and stars.

The recent partnership with Channel 4 has gone some way to expose how and to what extent our sport has been kept hidden by some of our supposed partners.

There's plenty of talk about other sports and the role of Hearn but until the Beeb are to have an RL captain on QoS, and our players are as likely to appear on The wheel as anyone else or our game & characters form part and parcel of the sports round up after the weekend events not only will we have failed but any partners we have will be just as much of a disaster as if we'd asked Del Boy to sort things out for us.

And to be honest I looked at RL, I saw the suggestion of reunification with kick and clap and I viewed the posts and debates on Total and other forums and I thought this is going nowhere. All of it, is a sad dead end street.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

And yet again we're guilty of confusing money with the other trappings of success,

Missing the point that all these things, the markers are more related to visibilty of the sport and beyond that the personalities involved and their earning capacity.

Our sport is only the best kept secret so are our characters and stars.

The recent partnership with Channel 4 has gone some way to expose how and to what extent our sport has been kept hidden by some of our supposed partners.

There's plenty of talk about other sports and the role of Hearn but until the Beeb are to have an RL captain on QoS, and our players are as likely to appear on The wheel as anyone else or our game & characters form part and parcel of the sports round up after the weekend events not only will we have failed but any partners we have will be just as much of a disaster as if we'd asked Del Boy to sort things out for us.

And to be honest I looked at RL, I saw the suggestion of reunification with kick and clap and I viewed the posts and debates on Total and other forums and I thought this is going nowhere. All of it, is a sad dead end street.

At the end of the day in boxing it is all about fighting for the biggest purses and the belts are a means to an end in that.

Is QoS really relevant in 2023?

3 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

What relevance does "outside of the UK " have to this conversation? We are talking about the profile of RL and it's players. And let's be honest, outside of the United Kingdom, most people haven't even heard of Rugby League, let alone it's players

Because someone called him a world wide household name 

He isn't 

At best he's a marginal household name in the UK....and the UK alone 

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd say it's true too 

Up to the 90s when big fights were still on ITV people like Eubank, Benn and Bruno were genuinely famous big celebs .....none of them are now 

Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are just as well known as those three.

Which is pretty good going actually considering the fragmentation of the media audience since the time you talk about.

There’s been others too who transcended the sport and appealed outside the hardcore boxing audience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is QoS really relevant in 2023?

No, of course, not but the appearances are for income, sport recognition market value and validity.

I'm afraid I've no idea why you mentioned boxing and as I couldn't care less about that sport I don't think I want to know.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

And pointless going there.

Just now, Oxford said:

No, of course, not but the appearances are for income, sport recognition market value and validity.

I'm afraid I've no idea why you mentioned boxing and as I couldn't care less about that sport I don't think I want to know.

And pointless going there.

If you’d read the thread you’re responding to then you’d understand why boxing is relevant in assessing Eddie Hearn’s credentials or not.

Ask 10 friends, family, colleagues who have no interest in RL or indeed, sport to name at least 3 top RL players, I reckon none of them could.

Go back 10-20 years and I reckon half of them would.

Go back 25+ years and I reckon all 10 would recognise, or at least heard of the likes of Hanley, Offiah, Edwards, Gregory, Schofield etc, even the likes of Brian Carney would have been known by many.

So it's probably true.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m arguing that Eddie Hearn has been a very successful boxing promoter which I think most people accept given the purses involved and venues filled.

As a result I would never give him full control of rugby league in the U.K. as I don’t believe it could ever be his primary interest.

I actually think his analysis is sadly true about RL, but he is not the solution as the sole arbiter of everything.

That is my stance on this.

It's remarkable how this hasn't been a general conclusion regarding the original topic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, meast said:

Ask 10 friends, family, colleagues who have no interest in RL or indeed, sport to name at least 3 top RL players, I reckon none of them could.

Go back 10-20 years and I reckon half of them would.

Go back 25+ years and I reckon all 10 would recognise, or at least heard of the likes of Hanley, Offiah, Edwards, Gregory, Schofield etc, even the likes of Brian Carney would have been known by many.

So it's probably true.

And would be true of every sport. Which is a key reason why there's no point listening to the 'stopped clock twice a day' ramblings of someone who made significant overtures to get involved with RL and who failed to convince anyone that he should be involved.

The most famous living English boxer right now is almost certainly Frank Bruno.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Boxing ( how it is still allowed to happen god only knows ) and it's participants are only known due to the International element of its profile , and because we have now numerous different titles this creates more opportunities for that profile to be on terrestrial TV , so even if the fight itself is behind a paywall , because it's for a ' World Title ' it gets on the mainstream news 

In truth the sport is a joke , has been for 30 years , since Tyson , Hearns , Hagler , Duran and Leonard retired , as regards the Hearns being involved in RL ? , 😂 Nonsense 

• Like 1

I think sports celebrity has waned over the last decade or so, certainly the RU and definitely RL players, but also the football golfers and tennis stars.

I personally could recognise Harry Kane, a few other PL players and Marcus Ratchford ( the latter due to his political work rather than football) I wouldn’t  know any RU player from Adam. Sports now are much more professional and the top players are more likely to be boring and concentrate on their game and training. They can get  money via sponsorship, but this also now has vary strict personal standards so, the characters and celebrities are gone.

we need to sell the clubs and the event rather than the Individual, which brings us back to the unfashionable geographic areas in which we are strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Boxing ( how it is still allowed to happen god only knows ) and it's participants are only known due to the International element of its profile , and because we have now numerous different titles this creates more opportunities for that profile to be on terrestrial TV , so even if the fight itself is behind a paywall , because it's for a ' World Title ' it gets on the mainstream news 

In truth the sport is a joke , has been for 30 years , since Tyson , Hearns , Hagler , Duran and Leonard retired , as regards the Hearns being involved in RL ? , 😂 Nonsense 

Again, almost nobody is arguing that he should be involved in RL. 

But maybe you could refute his point that there are no well known active RL players? 

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you’d read the thread you’re responding to then you’d understand why boxing is relevant in assessing Eddie Hearn’s credentials or not.

Oh dear! you  explained what you meant.

Hearn's credentials for other sports have not been questioned as far as I recall.

What the thread was mostly about was his utterances after being left at the alter.

It was clear to the world and his wife that IMG had got what he wanted and he lumped things together and made silly statements along with some more chuffin' obvious stuff and we're supposed to take that seriously because he's done well with one sport that needed no help and another that was on the way up and wasn't ignored by large sections of the media. This is one of the reasons RL looks small because it spends time listening to spivs, malcontents and ne'erdowells.

There is almost zero posters on here that couldn't have produced a better assessment  of the real ills of RL than Eddie Hearn. But we'll give credence and airtime to the ramblings of a chancer like it's real, this isn't the apprentice !

And if he's as good as he obviously thinks he is and his credentials are so wonderful let him purchase an SL club and show us all how it's done!

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The most famous living English boxer right now is almost certainly Frank Bruno.

I agree with you on probably 95% of all things GJ, but I'm not having this one.

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury are sporting superstars. Amir Khan does lots of reality TV. Bruno hasn't been relevant for at least a decade or more.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are just as well known as those three.

Which is pretty good going actually considering the fragmentation of the media audience since the time you talk about.

There’s been others too who transcended the sport and appealed outside the hardcore boxing audience.

They are/were the sport's premier title holders (heavyweight).......

Lightweights, middle weights and welterweights etc used to be really well known in the 80s/90s...Barry Maguigan, Alan Minter, Lloyd Honeygan, Eubank, Benn, etc 

I am a sports fan (not boxing) and I think the British heavyweight champs Fury and Joshua are the only boxers I could name 

Once these two heavyweights go then no one apart from casual/dedicated boxing fans will be able to name a boxer 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I agree with you on probably 95% of all things GJ, but I'm not having this one.

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury are sporting superstars. Amir Khan does lots of reality TV. Bruno hasn't been relevant for at least a decade or more.

I still reckon that if you asked most people to name a boxer, Bruno would win. In much the same way as 'Stirling Moss' was the answer to most famous racing driver for decades after he retired.

And I'm not disputing that Joshua is a big deal just that - to repeat myself - boxing is notably smaller and less in the mainstream, with fewer characters the public know, than it was back in the day. (I think Fury is a smaller deal than Joshua by a significant measure but his support is somewhat noisier - and I did say that Khan is known but I'd put a lot of that down to having a remarkably visible amateur career beforehand and a lot of reality TV later).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I still reckon that if you asked most people to name a boxer, Bruno would win. In much the same way as 'Stirling Moss' was the answer to most famous racing driver for decades after he retired.

And I'm not disputing that Joshua is a big deal just that - to repeat myself - boxing is notably smaller and less in the mainstream, with fewer characters the public know, than it was back in the day. (I think Fury is a smaller deal than Joshua by a significant measure but his support is somewhat noisier - and I did say that Khan is known but I'd put a lot of that down to having a remarkably visible amateur career beforehand and a lot of reality TV later).

I think Bruno and Moss, you are talking about an older demographic (much older in Moss’ case).

I don’t think either have much of a social media profile in the modern age for differing reasons.

Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua and Amir Khan are all much more high profile in the demographic that is younger and that we would be trying to attract.

• Like 2