2023 Progress Report

marklaspalmas

With 21 days between fixtures, it seems a bit early to put up the match thread for the Sheffield game, which will be a big one for us.

Nine wins from nine matches says it all for me, but how's it going so far for you?

In terms of the squad, we have 30 numbered players, but I think the two loanees will probably go back? Cooper is out on loan, but will come back? Hepi won't play all year and Pickersgill has left.

Of the other 25, 15 played at London, with Moors, Evans and Fleming also available. Bussey was sick.

Of the six players on the injury list, who will we see back in early May?

Springer, Lacans and Taylor would be the most hopeful three I imagine with their hamstring injuries. Mark Kheirallah too making progress.

That would leave Ford and Hankinson longer term by the sounds of it.

The break will also help Leilua who came off at London with his hamstring, and such players like Koppy and Locky who are at the veteran stage.

Both Moors and Hall have figured less prominently than last season.

Our run in from here is:

3 matches in 4 weekends in May.

4 matches in 4 weekends in June.

4 matches in 5 weekends in July.

3 matches in 4 weekends in August.

4 matches in 5 weekends in September.

Then hopefully the playoffs in October.

• Like 2

For me, we're 9-9  in the league, but I'd give us about 8 out of 10 for the season so far.

We have probably looked  the best team in the league overall, but haven't been quite as dominant as the table suggests in my view as there have been times in different games when we have looked vulnerable (and we were second best in the Cup game against Halifax).

Obviously injuries have played a part in that.

On the positive side, I'd say we have been better defensively than last year. Not massively so, but a bit better when our line is threatened.

I don't think we have been a lot better with ball in hand though, despite again racking up a hatful of points. Again, Ford's injury in particular hasn't helped in that respect.

For me it's still early days to be judging the new coaching team. We don't seem to have many obvious attacking moves other than using the forwards to suck our opponents in and then spreading the ball wide, though in fairness that has worked well. I'm a bit concerned that we have been out-thought at scrums, conceding a lot more tries directly from scrums than we've scored. It's good that the fanbase has responded positively to Sean Long.

But overall we're in a  good position, we just need to keep our standards high and develop a degree of efficiency that prevents giving teams a foothold in games.

We have a fairly stiff run-in (our final 7 games include Halifax, Sheffield, Bradford and Toulouse all away), and it would be nice if by that stage of the season we're putting down markers against those clubs prior to the play-offs.

Agree about scoring from the scrums.I was glad when they came back.Can't believe some supporters were against them.Our kicking game could be better especially 40/20's but we have been in control most matches so have not needed them apart from the Fax cup tie and second half at Batley which would have been difficult up the slope.Agree the ball handling needs to improve and we do need a settled half back partnership.Think the next match against Sheffield will be our hardest so far but i still think we will win.We will need to improve towards the end of the season but if we steer clear of any bad injuries i think we will.

I’d give us a 7/10, not always looked convincing, but way better in defence than last year, and that’s despite a bad run of injuries. I’d hope that we will push on now, and consider future recruitment to maintain our advanced over the other clubs. It’s now or never.

I don't think there is much between any of the so called top sides and that includes Fev. However we haven't had the chance to see a full compliment of our top players playing at the same time. No sooner we get one player back we seem to lose two more. I think a better assessment can be made after we have played teams like Sheffield and the other top sides away from home. We have had to play safe football to grind out wins which is probably why many opposition fans still think Toulouse are the better side despite them being beaten at Sheffield and Bradford. They like to play more expansive and often look more impressive going by some highlights I've seen. Sheffield looked a below average side the other night because their main playmaker in the name of Thackeray was missing. One man obviously doesn't make a team but it can upset a coaches style of play when they are injured as in the case of Fev. I haven't been overly impressed with Fax this season but like inconsistent Bradford they are still very dangerous opposition.

I'd give us a 9. 

We've had a tough run of Injuries. Playing Taylor at 6 is far from ideal. But against Batley we showed adversity down the hill. Held on to what last year would of been a loss.

At times we've been at a canter in games but winning by 30/40 points. Being so dominant do you need more in them games? Maybe save for the closer games that the extra 10% is required.

Defensively. Yes we've leaked tries at the scrum. But overall defensively we've been ruthless. With a full squad we aren't easy to break down. Hull KR found that out. 

Once we get our bodies back and with our team spirit this year I can see us kicking on and Toulouse game will be a cracker for sure! 

6 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I’d give us a 7/10, not always looked convincing, but way better in defence than last year, and that’s despite a bad run of injuries. I’d hope that we will push on now, and consider future recruitment to maintain our advanced over the other clubs. It’s now or never.

I'd agree with this at 7/0. I think the promoted teams of the last number of years are better than our current team.

I'd hoped and expected we would be much more expansive and exciting than we are. Not seen the adventure we had since Chizzy left tbh.

Having said that we've had plenty of injuries but always looked solid and hard to beat. Just hoping that by play off time we will have a nearly full fit squad to pick from. 

11 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

What worries me a little, is if other teams strengthen and catch us up. Plenty of talk of Championship teams signing players from the French league. We have got quality players to come back though.

Who are they going to get though? I see Bradford were linked with Jason Baitieri, he'll be 34 in July, I'd be more concerned about facing DR players like Walters and Donaldson from Leeds when we play them. It's not a bad league but I don't think there will be any Lachlan Lams coming out of there.

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Who are they going to get though? I see Bradford were linked with Jason Baitieri, he'll be 34 in July, I'd be more concerned about facing DR players like Walters and Donaldson from Leeds when we play them. It's not a bad league but I don't think there will be any Lachlan Lams coming out of there.

I know you don’t rate him, but Corey Norman is one, and apparently James Segeyaro is another. My point being, we shouldn’t settle on our laurels and definitely should look to strengthen before the play offs. A couple of quality signings might just make the difference.

16 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I know you don’t rate him, but Corey Norman is one, and apparently James Segeyaro is another. My point being, we shouldn’t settle on our laurels and definitely should look to strengthen before the play offs. A couple of quality signings might just make the difference.

Norman, Segeyaro, Baitieri and James Maloney have all been playing regularly for Lezignan and that hasn't made them the best team in the comp (they finished joint third). For me I think it's just a question of whether these sort of guys are actually likely to be better than what we already have at this stage of their careers based on what they can do now, not a few years ago.

28 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Norman, Segeyaro, Baitieri and James Maloney have all been playing regularly for Lezignan and that hasn't made them the best team in the comp (they finished joint third). For me I think it's just a question of whether these sort of guys are actually likely to be better than what we already have at this stage of their careers based on what they can do now, not a few years ago.

I’d agree, and maybe not necessarily these guys, but just to press home our advantage, would make sense to add more quality, rather than standing still. Does depend on finance, but given it’s probably our last chance of SL, maybe worth the gamble.

On 19/04/2023 at 16:46, Wolfey Rovers said:

Defensively. Yes we've leaked tries at the scrum. But overall defensively we've been ruthless. With a full squad we aren't easy to break down. Hull KR found that out. 

I have to say I think that game was a bit of a red herring. It was a pre-season game, we had already had a run-out, and HKR left out most of their stars.

We got rolled up the middle in the second half by Wakefield when we had a pretty strong pack on the field, obviously that was another pre-season game too but we couldn't beat what is starting to look historically one of the worst-ever SL teams.

That shows the problem for us or whichever team gets promoted this year. There's a gulf in class between the divisions (same for Championship>League 1, look how Dewsbury are dominating there). It's a little bit encouraging that Leigh are doing so well in SL, if they had struggled having looked miles better than everyone else last season it would have been a bit worrying, but they had the cash to recruit a team packed with players who were good enough to play SL.

I don't think the standard of the Championship is that high this season and whilst getting to SL is still going to be tough, staying there will be so much harder. You'd think that at least 2 or 3 of our starting pack might retire, we'd have some tough decisions to make about some of our overseas players, and it would require some remarkable recruitment to be competitive if we do go up, same goes for every championship team, there isn't anyone with the finances to recruit a SL-ready team like Toronto (who flopped in SL anyway) and Leigh were able to do.

But for now the goal just has to be to get to SL, two more years and it will be "30 years of hurt" as the song goes. Still we're 9-0 so best to enjoy the ride, who knows what's around the corner.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Most of players in french league wouldnt get a UK working visa anyway - so talk of an army of players from french leagues coming into the championship is pie in the sky 

True E but think they're talking about former SL   players like Escare and Norman

I'm relatively happy with the squad and would still make us favourites for promotion, but not odds-on! Another big BUT is the age of the squad affecting the injury situation. Many of the Dad's Army brigade are probably still good enough to play in Super League, but their reliability on the injury front makes them a poor investment. If we can go into the play-offs with all key players fit and available (including Ryley Dean) then I would make us strong favourites barring cheque-book waving late in the season from other contenders.

50 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

barring cheque-book waving late in the season from other contenders.

Doubt it S NO degsy knocking about this year BUT it wouldn't surprise me if we pulled something out of the hat🎩:kolobok_yahoo:

8 hours ago, POR said:

Doubt it S NO degsy knocking about this year BUT it wouldn't surprise me if we pulled something out of the hat🎩:kolobok_yahoo:

You never know though! Who can remember Calland's "Country Mile" Halifax being upstaged by Barrow's Uncle Des's cheque book? 

10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

You never know though! Who can remember Calland's "Country Mile" Halifax being upstaged by Barrow's Uncle Des's cheque book? 

SORRY Steve but what happened in the past has no bearing on this year no sugar daddies in the championship and TO are saving their money  renewing the squad in-depth with younger players and working more than ever with their academy .cos  they think going to get an A from IMG

BOTTOM LINE S the only thing that can stop FEV winning the grand final is US

• Like 1