TV Deal to conclude end of June

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it can only ever work as a supplementary thing for fans, it's too niche to replace a TV deal worth millions and millions of quid. 

Now, maybe if we'd have worked up an interest in international rights we could have sold them on to Oz, France etc, but nobody cares about them, and why would they? 

We had the right idea in 1997 with the WCC, but we pushed that too far. We should be in our 26th season of a proper WCC comp by now, and the four nations and world cup was the right idea - but everything has been abandoned, the World Cup has just been cancelled. 

Tbh, I'm not sure I've ever felt so pessimistic about the sport. 

Welcome to the club, I felt like that a few years ago, little has changed for me since other than becoming more accepting of it.

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it can only ever work as a supplementary thing for fans, it's too niche to replace a TV deal worth millions and millions of quid. 

Now, maybe if we'd have worked up an interest in international rights we could have sold them on to Oz, France etc, but nobody cares about them, and why would they? 

We had the right idea in 1997 with the WCC, but we pushed that too far. We should be in our 26th season of a proper WCC comp by now, and the four nations and world cup was the right idea - but everything has been abandoned, the World Cup has just been cancelled. 

Tbh, I'm not sure I've ever felt so pessimistic about the sport. 

Nah it’s just the latest crisis, we will be fine…

3 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Survivor bias.

The game was thriving and expanding outside the heartlands twenty years ago.

Now it is contracting back into its shell and is weaker there than ever.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Leonard said:

It's the clear answer. The SL clubs voted against it because they wanted 1/12th of the pie and not 1/14th.

Pure greed.

Now they have 1/12th of a lot less.

Well done all round.

This all because SL didn’t want the middle 8’s that Sky loved

Must be 12, relegation/promotion to run at SL play off rounds with bottom of SL seeded 6.

Drop Thursdays to encourage more family friendly kick off times

Clubs to sell home and away season tickets and keep all revenue

no loop fixtures

pre season start to CCup with BBC deal showing 2 games a weekend from the group fixtures say 5.30pm Sat and Sun on BBC2. First 2 weeks should be SL away to lower division clubs with May final

C4 or BBC to get SL promotion play offs, money to fund lower leagues

• Like 1

Unless someone has got a spare flux capacitor (so assuming time travel is out the question) - what can be done?

Very few people would pay £37.50 per month to cover the cost of in-house Super League productions.

What is the strategy the leadership should be adopting?

Or is a lack of leadership or even consensus part of the problem now?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Padge said:

Prey do tell where the 60 or so SL quality players will come from to create 2 new SL sides. There a practice problems with expansion. Wh wants to watch two championship standard teams struggle through the season. Cas & Wakey are currently a good advert for cutting down to 10.

Huddersfield Squad.

3 hours ago, Leonard said:

I have heard on podcasts that it is about half - I'm not going to dig out the podcast from a few years back.

I used the confused emoji because I found the post confusing.

I find that extraordinary that there would be a 50/50 split that there would be as many viewers of  Sky SL darn sarf as there is in the heartlands, and unless you come up with evidence to back your claim I quite frankly don't believe it.

Can't see why you are confused that an employee can save his company money, as in Sky paying the RL less for the next contract.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I find that extraordinary that there would be a 50/50 split that there would be as many viewers of  Sky SL darn sarf as there is in the heartlands, and unless you come up with evidence to back your claim I quite frankly don't believe it.

Can't see why you are confused that an employee can save his company money, as in Sky paying the RL less for the next contract.

Have the stats Harry London and the South is around 27% + other areas Midlands Wales South West etc from memory heartlands is around 39/40%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few points I'd make: 

1. Sky is about subscriptions- live viewing figures dont really matter. 

2. So what is 30k are at matches some Fridays? A decent number with Sky will tape match or will still subscribe. Very few people don't subscribe because of clashing matches 

3. EFL just traded in I follow for Sky coverage. Streaming is limited- could make low millions.

4. We've just had a weekend where thousands of the most dedicated RL fans have effectively turned down chance to watch two other games for free at magic. There isn't many people wanting more than 2 games a week on tv

5. I'm optomistic- but BBC showing games at 5.30pm on weekend? BBC want 5 million viewers at this time- peak time for whole week- RL would pull in 800k ish tops 

Edited by Rugbyleaguesupporter
Clarify

59 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Survivor bias.

The game was thriving and expanding outside the heartlands twenty years ago.

Now it is contracting back into its shell and is weaker there than ever.

Outside the heartlands the locals en masse were not interested enough to make a difference, hence the fall off, unless of course you wanted the authorities to forsake the heartland clubs and put all the resources into the expansion clubs.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Welcome to the club, I felt like that a few years ago, little has changed for me since other than becoming more accepting of it.

The world cup was the killer for me. Should have been world class, was meh at best. 

54 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Unless someone has got a spare flex capacitor (so assuming time travel is out the question) - what can be done?

Sorry but not wanting to sound like a nerd it was a Flux Capacitor and that required the De Lorean to get up to a speed of 88mph which was needed to generate 1.21 gigawatts to enable time travel.

Must have watched it a dozen times with my 12 year old son.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

You'll never hear me say the game will die. I accept it's personal, but there is less in RL for me nowadays 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

You'll never hear me say the game will die. I accept it's personal, but there is less in RL for me nowadays 

Just as Wire are about to win the thing as well.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Even if Wire win The GF and CC this year, if you still say yes I won't believe you 😉

On a serious note, I enjoy the bits I enjoy now. More and more I'm happy to do other things instead of watching the match. And tbh, that includes watching other sports. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry but not wanting to sound like a nerd it was a Flux Capacitor and that required the De Lorean to get up to a speed of 88mph which was needed to generate 1.21 gigawatts to enable time travel.

It is a fantastic film.

We can agree on that.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I don't think a heartland vs expansion debate is massively relevant here. As a sport I think we should have a clear expansion strategy, but I don't think it's the biggest thing at play here, or even a big factor. 

We haven't done much well. Heartland or wider, that's the problem. 

53 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And if you think the 18.7m viewers of the world cup came from the m62 I have a train station to sell you. 😀

The number was from 40:20 podcast a while back. I'll leave you to source. 

Edited by Leonard

Just now, Dave T said:

On a serious note, I enjoy the bits I enjoy now. More and more I'm happy to do other things instead of watching the match. And tbh, that includes watching other sports. 

That must be your age Dave, I have not lost the bug yet, bug concede there was not that many other distractions as there is now.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Corrected just for you.