TV Deal to conclude end of June

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Apropos of nothing...

They'll love our free content then - no wonder they want double the games.

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Pardon of this has already been answered, but, why the hell is a tv deal for UK RL finishing in June and not October?

I think the inference talks finishing in June. Current broadcast deal is for the entirety of this season

On 08/06/2023 at 10:15, Padge said:

Prey do tell where the 60 or so SL quality players will come from to create 2 new SL sides. There a practice problems with expansion. Wh wants to watch two championship standard teams struggle through the season. Cas & Wakey are currently a good advert for cutting down to 10.

Australia. 

7 hours ago, crashmon said:

This is my point, there is no other show than Sky in town willing to pay for rights.  So either the RFL accepts less than 20M or they have to go it alone and stream it themselves

The same was probably said for RU Premiership Rights. 

And that is a bin fire. 

Would it be advantageous for the NRL to buy into the RFL?? I’m sure they could strike a good deal with sky/fox. They would get a bigger talent pool and the hopes of good international rugby league 

9 hours ago, Fezzas_Flash said:

Would it be advantageous for the NRL to buy into the RFL?? I’m sure they could strike a good deal with sky/fox. They would get a bigger talent pool and the hopes of good international rugby league 

I think the ONLY road forward in terms of strength is some form of significant buyout and merger of branding, management and marketing. 

NRL Global (which would mimic NFL as a global brand) centred through NRL.com 

Two Competitions - One end of year global champ (for women and men potentially)

Broadened TV interest from both hemispheres. 

Broadened sponsor potential due to a global brand and reach. 

İncreases likelihood of NZ / Australian interest in European games. 

HOWEVER, let's be honest with ourselves, it would also probably end in some blood letting. Clubs are so fickle now and seek their own agendas. The NRL has struggled with this also but Vlandys seems to have taken ascendancy even over them. 

İ read the article the other day with Owen Farrel, he noted he loved watching Wigan (sentiment) but which competition did he say he watched "all the games"? 

The NRL.

3 hours ago, İzmir Rugby League said:

I think the ONLY road forward in terms of strength is some form of significant buyout and merger of branding, management and marketing. 

NRL Global (which would mimic NFL as a global brand) centred through NRL.com 

Two Competitions - One end of year global champ (for women and men potentially)

Broadened TV interest from both hemispheres. 

Broadened sponsor potential due to a global brand and reach. 

İncreases likelihood of NZ / Australian interest in European games. 

HOWEVER, let's be honest with ourselves, it would also probably end in some blood letting. Clubs are so fickle now and seek their own agendas. The NRL has struggled with this also but Vlandys seems to have taken ascendancy even over them. 

İ read the article the other day with Owen Farrel, he noted he loved watching Wigan (sentiment) but which competition did he say he watched "all the games"? 

The NRL.

That wouldn't work though, because you won't get broadened TV interest in either hemisphere.

For one thing, the TV times which are good in one hemisphere are crappy for the other: first thing in the morning, when hardly anyone is watching TV.

For another, other than current RL followers (of which we know there aren't enough) no one in Britain knows anything about the NRL.  In addition, Australian RL followers have a low opinion of SL because they see it as inferior to the NRL.  And when even British RL followers remark on the low standards in SL, we can well understand the Aussie viewpoint.

Thus, neither league will be enough of a draw to overcome the problem of the matches all being at the wrong times for the other hemisphere and therefore won't add value to the TV rights there.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That wouldn't work though, because you won't get broadened TV interest in either hemisphere.

For one thing, the TV times which are good in one hemisphere are crappy for the other: first thing in the morning, when hardly anyone is watching TV.

For another, other than current RL followers (of which we know there aren't enough) no one in Britain knows anything about the NRL.  In addition, Australian RL followers have a low opinion of SL because they see it as inferior to the NRL.  And when even British RL followers remark on the low standards in SL, we can well understand the Aussie viewpoint.

Thus, neither league will be enough of a draw to overcome the problem of the matches all being at the wrong times for the other hemisphere and therefore won't add value to the TV rights there.

Some people do know about it. 

The NRL matches  are generally on at  awful times for Europe. They are also all behind pay walls. 

15 minutes ago, RS said:

I saw a tweet in the last couple of days stating that Viaplay are only going to show two more games this season, anyone know anything about this?

Viaplay are in huge trouble, they sacked their CEO and their shares fell 60% last week after the announced they'd missed all their revenue targets. Perhaps they've decided to to save the broadcast costs. Were they actually paying a rights fee?  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Viaplay are in huge trouble, they sacked their CEO and their shares fell 60% last week after the announced they'd missed all their revenue targets. Perhaps they've decided to to save the broadcast costs. Were they actually paying a rights fee?  

They have a nice big office in Chiswick which would be costing a few bob:)

Best they stick to Scandie crime dramas which are brilliant:)

IMHO we would be better enticing SKY to show the Championship even if was given to them.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

They have a nice big office in Chiswick which would be costing a few bob:)

Best they stick to Scandie crime dramas which are brilliant:)

IMHO we would be better enticing SKY to show the Championship even if was given to them.

If we're going to be giving stuff away it has to be to the BBC or Channel 4 surely

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Viaplay are in huge trouble, they sacked their CEO and their shares fell 60% last week after the announced they'd missed all their revenue targets.

None of this is surprising. I’m sure in other territories they have some kind of coherent programming - it’s all over the shop here.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Looks like only wendy ball and Cricket seem ok with funding

British Basketballl looks like next sport domino to fall

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/13/british-basketball-in-untenable-position-due-to-lack-of-uk-sport-funding

I know one person who cares about basketball and pretty sure it's only the NBA he cares about 

They can say "it's the second most played sport in Britain " all they like.....it isn't popular and few people care 

If they did the BBL would have a decent income 

• Like 1

I actually care as I watch both the Surrey Scorchers as well as Guildford flames in Ice hockey.  Try to support local sport as much as possible,  Of course I would attend more RL games if the Broncos did not decide to ground share with a team which means most of the summer they play away, and if our so called "international" team actually played a game outside of the M62 once in a decade?

12 minutes ago, crashmon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/13/british-basketball-in-untenable-position-due-to-lack-of-uk-sport-funding

UK Sport were meant to be changing the criteria so that Euro/World championships counted for something more than “nah”.

Looks like whatever they’ve done, they still want to shovel money at posh folk in boats.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

50 minutes ago, crashmon said:

These type of articles are always misleading as they conflate bodies that have been formed largely to manage/fund elite olympic/world champ participation - in this case BBF and UK Sport - with the whole sport.

Grassroots Basketball is run by Basketball England, which got 8m quid off Sport England last year. The sport's not collapsing, they're just not showing progress at elite level, so elite level funding is being cut.

https://www.basketballengland.co.uk/news/2022/uniting-the-movement-basketball-england-receives-sport-england-funding-to-level-up-access-to-sport/

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, crashmon said:

I actually care as I watch both the Surrey Scorchers as well as Guildford flames in Ice hockey.  Try to support local sport as much as possible,  Of course I would attend more RL games if the Broncos did not decide to ground share with a team which means most of the summer they play away, and if our so called "international" team actually played a game outside of the M62 once in a decade?

Not saying no one cares at all I just don't think saying it is the second most played sport is either true or indiciatve of ita popularity 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know one person who cares about basketball and pretty sure it's only the NBA he cares about 

They can say "it's the second most played sport in Britain " all they like.....it isn't popular and few people care 

If they did the BBL would have a decent income 

That article seems to suggest that they don't get what they think they should from broadcasters as they pay x amount for the NBA, forgetting that Sky don't have to hire a crew to show that as opposed to the BBL, which, doesn't have that same pull.

British American Football has never been on TV, has it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

That article seems to suggest that they don't get what they think they should from broadcasters as they pay x amount for the NBA, forgetting that Sky don't have to hire a crew to show that as opposed to the BBL, which, doesn't have that same pull.

British American Football has never been on TV, has it?

BAF has really gone down the swanie since its heyday my business partner who sadly passed away this year ran it once over 300 clubs in the heyday.

I think from memory eurosport covered a few games i remember the final drawing over 15000 at Aston Villa.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1