Glastonbury thoughts

I Sky-taped the Elton John set last night. On the telly this morning, all the TV media luvvies were saying that it had been utterly brilliant.

In the circumstances, I thought deleting it was the safest thing to do.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

10 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I Sky-taped the Elton John set last night. On the telly this morning, all the TV media luvvies were saying that it had been utterly brilliant.

In the circumstances, I thought deleting it was the safest thing to do.

I'm watching it now. It's alright, i suspect it'll become better when it gets dark.

Astley singing the Smiths and always starting too early was brilliant. 

Looking forard to Leftfield on iplayer. 

350 quid for 5 days camping with all that entertainment.. bargain!

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Neutral on Elton John in general: Over the years some really great songs, no doubt about it, but prefer listening to watching. 

However, last nights performance was outstanding. Musically good,  Professionalism - top notch, Occasion - that's what made it special.  Presentation: excellent, better watching than actually being there?  Though seeing so many people young enough to be his grandchildren enjoying  the whole event, having queued from  4 am to be at the front, it seems. Stunning aerial views of the site, too. His guest artists? I hope they weren't getting paid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/25/yusuf-cat-stevens-at-glastonbury-review-legend

An alternative viewpoint on the Yusef\Cat Stevens set that I tend to agree with.

Cat Stevens was brilliant , done nearly all his best songs ,no waffle just played His songs as He always has , wrote some great songs and plenty of people who have covered them seem to agree .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Neutral on Elton John in general: Over the years some really great songs, no doubt about it, but prefer listening to watching. 

However, last nights performance was outstanding. Musically good,  Professionalism - top notch, Occasion - that's what made it special.  Presentation: excellent, better watching than actually being there?  Though seeing so many people young enough to be his grandchildren enjoying  the whole event, having queued from  4 am to be at the front, it seems. Stunning aerial views of the site, too. His guest artists? I hope they weren't getting paid.

Radio just said 7.3m were watching on TV/online which is a record for a Glastonbury broadcast.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

All in all enjoyed this years Glastonbury . Highlights apart from Cat ,Bristol Reggae Orchestra and Windrush Choir ,Texas ,Lizzo ,Lewis Capaldi ,Rick Astley/Blossoms Smiths Set .Carley Rae Jepsen ,Manics  , Pretenders ,Third World and Barrington Levy .

I believe Gilbert O Sullivan played one of the smaller stages this year would like to have saw some coverage of him.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

32 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

I believe Gilbert O Sullivan played one of the smaller stages this year would like to have saw some coverage of him.

apparently - due to his age he was getting the lines of the songs in the wrong order - and nothing rhymed 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, ivans82 said:

All in all enjoyed this years Glastonbury . Highlights apart from Cat ,Bristol Reggae Orchestra and Windrush Choir ,Texas ,Lizzo ,Lewis Capaldi ,Rick Astley/Blossoms Smiths Set .Carley Rae Jepsen ,Manics  , Pretenders ,Third World and Barrington Levy .

Anybody under 40?

With any live performance sometimes it's more about the show than how technically good the performance is. I'm not a big Elton fan but enjoyed the performance. He still sounds pretty good for 76 years old and the crowd seemed to love every minute.

I also like that he picked Nova Twins as one of his 4 acts to watch. Not music you'd associate with pensioners but he's got good taste. A lot of Glastonbury performances this year seemed a bit bland but they absolutely weren't and their bassist is incredible.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

With any live performance sometimes it's more about the show than how technically good the performance is. I'm not a big Elton fan but enjoyed the performance. He still sounds pretty good for 76 years old and the crowd seemed to love every minute.

I used to play rugby  but I'm 69 now. Mind you, I can still talk a good game.

I watched a video of a Fleetwood Mac show from about 1915. Every one of them had a young person playing a similar instrument immediately behind them.

Someone cleverer than me once said that Showbusiness is the Business of Show.

BBC Music YouTube channel has a fair number of single tracks up now.

Completely missed The HU. So ...

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Elton Johns show was really good. Such a professional and even in his mid 70s can still put on a show. Guns n' Roses was the Slash show, he held the set together and there were times where I thought he was going to keel over as he didn't look at all well to me. I wasn't impressed with the Arctic Monkeys, it was like watching a band perform in a lounge bar than headlining Glastonbury. I haven't seen much but I did see the Manics and QOTSA who were both really good.

11 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I'm watching it now. It's alright, i suspect it'll become better when it gets dark.

Astley singing the Smiths and always starting too early was brilliant. 

Looking forard to Leftfield on iplayer. 

350 quid for 5 days camping with all that entertainment.. bargain!

If you put it like that, and perhaps treat it as a holiday, then it doesn’t sound too unreasonable. But factor in all the other money you’d spend and I bet it’s a considerable amount. 

I will make no bones about it, I’m a bit of a moaning old fart - that’s cool with me, I make no apologies, I know what I am. But I also justify that by having come through the days when going to Reading/Glastonbury/Monsters of Rock/A.N.Other didn’t involve a military operation to get a ticket and also taking a week off work.
If modern attendees want to do that, that’s none of my business and I’m too old and lazy to go anyway, so it makes no odds to me. I just know it was different once. 

23 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Elton Johns show was really good. Such a professional and even in his mid 70s can still put on a show.

And his band too, no spring chickens either but a tight slick group.  

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 26/06/2023 at 23:23, The Masked Poster said:

If you put it like that, and perhaps treat it as a holiday, then it doesn’t sound too unreasonable. But factor in all the other money you’d spend and I bet it’s a considerable amount. 

I will make no bones about it, I’m a bit of a moaning old fart - that’s cool with me, I make no apologies, I know what I am. But I also justify that by having come through the days when going to Reading/Glastonbury/Monsters of Rock/A.N.Other didn’t involve a military operation to get a ticket and also taking a week off work.
If modern attendees want to do that, that’s none of my business and I’m too old and lazy to go anyway, so it makes no odds to me. I just know it was different once. 

There are more festivals than ever now, and many of them are very easy to get tickets to and pop along for the day or more. Imho it's been a really positive development in recent years. 

I've enjoyed going to Neighbourhood Weekender in Warrington over the last few years, and I'm going along to Trnsmt in Glasgow next week, but there are loads of other similar ones all over the country. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dave T said:

There are more festivals than ever now, and many of them are very easy to get tickets to and pop along for the day or more. Imho it's been a really positive development in recent years. 

I've enjoyed going to Neighbourhood Weekender in Warrington over the last few years, and I'm going along to Trnsmt in Glasgow next week, but there are loads of other similar ones all over the country. 

I'm well aware there are now numerous music festivals around the country. I however won't be going to any of them, not with these knees.

But since this is mostly about Glastonbury, I was sharing my experience of going in the past compared with going today. 

19 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

But since this is mostly about Glastonbury, I was sharing my experience of going in the past compared with going today. 

My point about wider range of festivals was touching on your point about Reading and other festivals. These things evolve over time, some grow, some will fade away, the emergence of the likes of Neighbourhood is likely due to the popularity of the major festivals and the difficulty and costs associated with them. 

It's all good imo. 

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

My point about wider range of festivals was touching on your point about Reading and other festivals. These things evolve over time, some grow, some will fade away, the emergence of the likes of Neighbourhood is likely due to the popularity of the major festivals and the difficulty and costs associated with them. 

It's all good imo. 

Fair enough. 

I just come from the days when there was a handful of festivals and they felt unusual rather than everyday. Just my view though. 

Edited by The Masked Poster