Sun 6th Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Leigh Leopards KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Leigh Leopards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/23 at 14:30

10 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Before i retired i was a bookie for 45 years and was astounded before the game when the Sky Bet odds came up 1/2 Leeds 7/4 Leigh.i know Leigh have the Final next week but i had them much closer than that.   !0/11 each of two draw no bet.

Leigh had 20 start on Monday which was risky considering we haven't a reserve squad to rely on !!

It was rude not to put a little crispy one on for Leigh to win off scratch !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark S said:

Leeds need a forward thinking, innovative Chief Exec. The longer Hetherington sticks around the longer this will continue. They are not going to hit a golden patch like they did in the 00’s, as it was a once in a multi-generation occurrence; which is what GH is banking on.

What do you think the Chief Executive of a Rugby League club actually does? 

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I can't see Smith being there next season

There must be a huge amount going on behind the scenes at Leeds that most of us are not aware of

His press conference before was telling. Made it clear he knew very little about the goings on behind the scenes 

Feels like Hetherington just wants to have the squad/team set up on the cheap (relative to their big budget) ....banging in about young players coming through won't cut it......in fact if any of them turn out to be decent he'll probably let them go anyway. Newman is nailed on to leave within the year 

Let's see how the hospitality sales do in that North stand when they still haven't won anything in 5 years time

...and any lingering memories of the scraped GF appearance last year and miracle 2020 CC win have truly faded 

• Like 2

Leeds have the same malaise as Saints, decent go forward, can get up the pitch, decent pace to break from deep. But once they get near the line they have as much idea on how to score as an dog has on how to drive a car. Just constantly throwing bodies at the line doesnt work anymore against a decent defence, there was very little "nuance" to their play, very few players in motion etc. Its shocking how bade the to teams are at this at times.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

His press conference before was telling. Made it clear he knew very little about the goings on behind the scenes 

I think Rohan Smith's usual evasiveness has been misinterpreted as him not knowing what was going on.

44 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Feels like Hetherington just wants to have the squad/team set up on the cheap (relative to their big budget) .

Playing budgets are not being squeezed as you imply, they'll continue to spend full cap plus marquees and Caddick in particular is very determined to spend as much as it takes.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

What do you think the Chief Executive of a Rugby League club actually does? 

The CEO is responsible for making major corporate decisions, managing overall operations, and setting the company's strategic direction. They are accountable to the board of directors or stakeholders of the company and are often the public face of the organization.

source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/ceo.asp#:~:text=The CEO is responsible for,public face of the organization.

11 minutes ago, Mark S said:

The CEO is responsible for making major corporate decisions, managing overall operations, and setting the company's strategic direction. They are accountable to the board of directors or stakeholders of the company and are often the public face of the organization.

source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/ceo.asp#:~:text=The CEO is responsible for,public face of the organization.

Yeah thanks. And tell us what you think a "forward thinking, innovative" CEO would bring to Leeds that Hetherington doesn't given that, since he's largely given up his role of identifying players to sign, his primary role in running the business is to ensure the company generates the revenues to support the football side.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Playing budgets are not being squeezed as you imply, they'll continue to spend full cap plus marquees and Caddick in particular is very determined to spend as much as it takes.

So if it isn't a budget issue why has ...

Their best half Austin been allowed to leave 

Why has Walters been allowed to leave ? 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Yeah thanks. And tell us what you think a "forward thinking, innovative" CEO would bring to Leeds that Hetherington doesn't given that, since he's largely given up his role of identifying players to sign, his primary role in running the business is to ensure the company generates the revenues to support the football side.

Not sure what the other contributor meant by forward thinking and innovative....

For me the Rhinos club have in addition to the SL team, the womens team, LDSL & PDRL teams, plus a Netball SL team... I am assuming GH as CEO is a key component of having the Club build that wider sporting Club as well a part in building the new stadium.  Plus building a substantial commercial revenue stream, that is its biggest revenue stream, unlike other SL clubs for which the Sky/central funding is the biggest revenue source.   Not least a large Rhinos foundation that does substantial community work and is maybe the leading SL foundation in comparison to many other RL clubs.

I would have thought their was some forward thinking and innovative thought in achieving that.

Maybe its time for renewal, maybe not but he has to-date been a excellent CEO over the years. I would assume his achievements at the club allow him to chose the time and place for retirement.  Not a group of fickle fans many of whom wouldn't have a clue about being a CEO and hence unable to fully measure whther successful in such a role.

That not to disagree that the men's SL team is falling well short of justified expectations.

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Nothing to do with "budget" if you mean Leeds don't budget to spend up to cap. Austin at this stage who knows, but it's highly unlikely to be because Leeds could save a couple of months of his salary 😂

Walters, Leeds offered less than Wigan. That's hugely regrettable but it made a lot more sense at the time than now.

But again it doesn't mean Leeds don't have full salary cap to spend.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Not sure what the other contributor meant by forward thinking and innovative....

For me the Rhinos club have in addition to the SL team, the womens team, LDSL & PDRL teams, plus a Netball SL team... I am assuming GH as CEO is a key component of having the Club build that wider sporting Club as well a part in building the new stadium.  Plus building a substantial commercial revenue stream, that is its biggest revenue stream, unlike other SL clubs for which the Sky/central funding is the biggest revenue source.   Not least a large Rhinos foundation that does substantial community work and is maybe the leading SL foundation in comparison to many other RL clubs.

Quite. If Hetherington isn't forward thinking enough then I dread to think what the other 11 SL CEO's are.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Austin was allowed to leave because he threw his toys out of the pram same with leeming, nothing to do with money

Walters hasn’t been ‘allowed’ to leave, he was out of contract and Wigan offered him more (our offer was still pretty good) and closer to home, it happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Austin was allowed to leave because he threw his toys out of the pram same with leeming, nothing to do with money

Walters hasn’t been ‘allowed’ to leave, he was out of contract and Wigan offered him more (our offer was still pretty good) and closer to home, it happens.

Walters.....If you don't offer enough to keep an outstanding prospect it is to do with money 

Austin.....may have threw his toys out of the pram but it strongly looks like he jumped because he wasn't offered the right contract....again it is to do with money 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Walters.....If you don't offer enough to keep an outstanding prospect it is to do with money 

Austin.....may have threw his toys out of the pram but it strongly looks like he jumped because he wasn't offered the right contract....again it is to do with money 

Walters may well turn out to be a mistake but it happens.

Austin wanted 2 years and we’d have been daft to offer it to him, nowt to do with money more to do with him being an ageing inconsistent player. Leeds do not have money issues.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Austin wanted 2 years and we’d have been daft to offer it to him, nowt to do with money more to do with him being an ageing inconsistent player. Leeds do not have money issues.

Then I assume they think will snap up a young half back from the NRL worthy of the money

I doubt they will get anyone near his quality of for the next two years ...he has been the difference in so many games this season 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Then I assume they think will snap up a young half back from the NRL worthy of the money

I doubt they will get anyone near his quality of for the next two years ...he has been the difference in so many games this season 

And he’s also been the issue in so many games this season (inconsistency), which isn’t going very well.

Leeds are actively looking for 2 new starting halves for next year both in thr NRL and here.

Ive heard Rohan Smith wants 4 half backs in the squad, Sinfield being one of them, Rowan Milnes rumoured to be the other back up half.

Austin has signed for Featherstone.

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

And he’s also been the issue in so many games this season (inconsistency), which isn’t going very well.

Leeds are actively looking for 2 new starting halves for next year both in thr NRL and here.

Ive heard Rohan Smith wants 4 half backs in the squad, Sinfield being one of them, Rowan Milnes rumoured to be the other back up half.

Austin has signed for Featherstone.

Not sure what games you've been watching .....he has at least competent in defence and attack in every game....sometimes outstanding (so no in that sense I'll give you he is inconsistent) 

Compared to Sezer who has been mostly woeful 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure what games you've been watching .....he has at least competent in defence and attack in every game....sometimes outstanding (so no in that sense I'll give you he is inconsistent) 

Ive watched them all home and away.

I would have been fine giving him a one year deal but two was too many, part of the reason leeds are in a pickle is giving too long deals to players who we end ip stuck with.

If Austin was so outstanding he’d have been able to secure himself his two year contract at another SL or NRL club (Sezer has) yet he’s ended up at Cas for 5 games then onto Fev.

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Did you miss Wakefield or Leigh away?

32 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'll be amazed if we get a top level NRL halfback. We must be near double figures in our targets now.

Mad to think we could realistically be finishing 10th this season...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'll be amazed if we get a top level NRL halfback. We must be near double figures in our targets now.

Mad to think we could realistically be finishing 10th this season...

No club in SL is going to get a top level halfback from the NRL, it just isn’t happening.

Best any clubs can hope for is a second/third choice Half back who wants to prove themselves before heading back to the NRL.