Vegas baby!!

On 12/08/2023 at 09:32, Copa said:

I was just speculating, i have no idea about the gambling industry. 🤣

V’landys’ main background, more than managing rugby league, is the gambling world. He’s seemingly no mug in the gambling world so it’d be interesting to see what he has planned.

Peter V'landys has he's detractors, but he's a go getter without a doubt.

He doesn't know what the word Can't means

39 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

He doesn't know what the word Can't means

I'm sure he's been called it enough times to work it out.

• Haha 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Havenlad80 said:

Genuine question here but does the Australian national side fall under the remit of a ARL chairman?

Very much so (assuming you don't specifically mean selection or coaching, etc). Actually, the ARLC.

The NRL falls under the ARLC, which is the overall governing body.

In reality, you wouldn't expect V'landys to be as involved in the NRL as he is, but anyway...

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

Would the NRL playing a game in London have any benefits? It’s a big market in a country with RL already being played and some awareness in London 

Isn’t there something like 250k Aussies&kiwis living in and around London?

3 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

Isn’t there something like 250k Aussies&kiwis living in and around London?

Yeah something like that. With them and British RL fans, both in London and the North, I think a big crowd could be attracted if marketed well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Yeah something like that. With them and British RL fans, both in London and the North, I think a big crowd could be attracted if marketed well.

100%

don’t forget that it would be the cashed up NRL that would be doing the marketing and promotion.

• Like 1

An interesting listen here from V'Landys. It is clear the main goal if this is to get more subscribers for the NRL and a US TV deal. I find it hard to believe they will get the kind of money that V'Landys is hoping for, it seems pie in the Sky for a small non US sport, but I do admire the ambition. I do hope they make a real sustained effort to get it as that can only help grow the game in the US:

https://omny.fm/shows/dead-set-legends-queensland/bonus-peter-vlandys

• Like 3

Previously someond posted "Isn’t there something like 250k Aussies & Kwis living in and around London?"

I pointed out that some of the hopes and expectations were that at least a few percent of those would be tempted to watch the London Broncos. That would n fact did not happen.

Thus it is reasonable to question the potential of an Australian ex-pat community.

"In the spring of 1994, just prior to the Divisional Premiership Final, it was announced that the successful Australian NRL club Brisbane Broncos was buying the London Crusaders club, which would be renamed London Broncos from the start of the forthcoming 1994–95 season"

Edited by JohnM

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Previously someond posted "Isn’t there something like 250k Aussies&kiwis living in and around London?"

I pointed out that one of the hopes and expectations that at least a few percent of those would be trempted to watch the London Broncos. That would n fact did not happen.

Thus is is reasonable to question the potential of an Australian ex-pat community.

It is reasonable but I wasn’t talking about London I was talking about how big a crowd an NRL game could get in London 

• Like 1

In which case, you should factor in that despite Brisbane acquiring London and renaming it Broncos in a fanfare of media publicity, it did not, contrary to Brisbane's hopes and expectations, attract many from the Capital's ex-pat community.

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

In which case, you should factor in that despite Brisbane acquiring London and renaming it Broncos in a fanfare of media publicity, it did not, contrary to Brisbane's hopes and expectations, attract many from the Capital's ex-pat community.

Why should I factor that in? 
I’m not talking about London Broncos, I’m talking about a “one off” event marketed by the cash rich NRL involving NRL clubs. London Broncos will have nothing to do with it. 
I also mentioned that RL fans from the North of England might be tempted to attend. I definitely would 

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Different thing though surely, the Broncos are not an NRL team and they were not a one off event likely to get a big event crowd. If I remember correctly, pretty much the biggest crowds they got were during the WCC event v NRL clubs, when lots of Aussies did go.

I think plenty would go now, both Brits and convicts, but what would be the gain for the NRL from it? They arent going to sell TV subscriptions or get into the UK gambling market as there is already heavy UK rugby competition there from British  RL/RU. They clearly see a gap there in the US, hence Vegas.

• Like 1