Vegas baby!!

8 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Did some research on this recently. Most recent census has 68,000 Australians and Kiwis in London. Another 32,000 in the ‘South East’

Then you subtract those Antipodeans who don’t follow RL, those with no interest in sport etc.etc. 

9 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Did some research on this recently. Most recent census has 68,000 Australians and Kiwis in London. Another 32,000 in the ‘South East’

Australia and New Zealand was still operating closed international borders at this time, so I imagine the numbers in the UK will have risen significantly in the last year or so.

• Like 2

I can't wait for this. I got married in Las Vegas and this might be a good time to celebrate our anniversary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Havenlad80 said:

Nobody could ever accuse you of not being an old romantic 😉

i've got to ghost it past my wife though. 

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

And those that aren't sober enough to travel in any form 

Could be a selling point - Come to the biggest Aussie ex-pat #### up event in the world.

Forget the Notting Hill carnival or Glastonbury, this could become a global phenomenon.

Edited by Whippet13
  • Haha 1

On 28/08/2023 at 10:39, Havenlad80 said:

Stuff like this;

As for line markings, the NRL has told clubs it will make the necessary adjustments with the potential to have markers at 9.6 metre intervals down the ground.

infuiates me. There is a clear process for shorter fields. They are in use every week.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Stuff like this;

As for line markings, the NRL has told clubs it will make the necessary adjustments with the potential to have markers at 9.6 metre intervals down the ground.

infuiates me. There is a clear process for shorter fields. They are in use every week.

I don't think anyone in the NRL would have come across it tbh. 

new rise.jpg

Just now, Pulga said:

I don't think anyone in the NRL would have come across it tbh. 

As the article highlights, the World Cup and regular internationals are played in shorter pitches and SL is week in week out. 

The metres are lost between the 30-40m lines. Tried and tested process. The same ignorance was shown when this came up when the Aussies played the Kiwis at Anfield.

On 28/08/2023 at 10:39, Havenlad80 said:

The Kangaroos will have played on a similar sized pitch when they played the USA in Philadelphia won’t they?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

Sure did.

I had forgotten about this game.

Where did these players come from? Who was controlling the USA game at that time? They look like they could really add something to our International game, why have they been allowed to wither on the vine? I do hope the NRL get involved over there to try and pull together all the disparate groups under one governing body. 

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

The Kangaroos will have played on a similar sized pitch when they played the USA in Philadelphia won’t they?

The Aussies also played an Origin Game in 1987 on an American Football size pitch, in Long Beach California. 

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Where did these players come from? Who was controlling the USA game at that time? They look like they could really add something to our International game, why have they been allowed to wither on the vine? I do hope the NRL get involved over there to try and pull together all the disparate groups under one governing body. 

There’s been quite a bit of infighting since that USA v Australia match. To be fair the PCRL are under the USARL umbrella hence last week’s GF between the winners of each competition. I’m not sure about the status of the RLU though. 

30 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

There’s been quite a bit of infighting since that USA v Australia match. To be fair the PCRL are under the USARL umbrella hence last week’s GF between the winners of each competition. I’m not sure about the status of the RLU though. 

RLU seem to have an amicable relationship with the USARL, but for some reason (historical differences I think) they don't want to come under their governance. They get on much better with USARL than the NARL and Championship RL (who may now be defunct) organisations ever did. Hopefully the RLU and USARL relationship will continue to thaw and there will be a full coming together eventually.

The North American clubs all need to get together and figure out how best to use the NRL Vegas opportunity to promote and grow the domestic game. There have been some grumblings that the NRL didn't consult the USARL about their plans, but I'm not that surprised really given their track record (USARL not NRL - well, maybe both).

RL is still a pretty fractured national picture over there, but hopefully the domestic infighting and errors of the past are now increasingly becoming water under the bridge - time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

RLU seem to have an amicable relationship with the USARL, but for some reason (historical differences I think) they don't want to come under their governance. They get on much better with USARL than the NARL and Championship RL (who may now be defunct) organisations ever did. Hopefully the RLU and USARL relationship will continue to thaw and there will be a full coming together eventually.

The North American clubs all need to get together and figure out how best to use the NRL Vegas opportunity to promote and grow the domestic game. There have been some grumblings that the NRL didn't consult the USARL about their plans, but I'm not that surprised really given their track record (USARL not NRL - well, maybe both).

RL is still a pretty fractured national picture over there, but hopefully the domestic infighting and errors of the past are now increasingly becoming water under the bridge - time will tell.

There has been contact between the NRL and the USARL apparently but what form that contact takes is anyone’s guess. There have been a few calls on X for the USA to take on Canada at a different venue in LV on the same weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is good to see:

The Australian Wheelaroos are set to make history by playing a three Test series against the United States in Las Vegas ahead of the NRL's opening round fixture at Allegiant Stadium in March.

The Wheelaroos will face the USA for the first time in Wheelchair Rugby League on Wednesday, February 26. A second Test will be played on the same day, with the two teams to meet for a third time on Friday, March 1.

The international fixtures will precede the NRL’s double header in which Manly play South Sydney and Sydney Roosters face Brisbane on March 2 at Allegiant Stadium.

Hosted by USA Wheelchair Rugby League, the Wheelaroos will also be involved in clinics and other game development activities in Las Vegas.

“We are thrilled with the invitation to meet the USA on home soil," Wheelchair Rugby League Australia Chair Martin Meredith said. 

"While we did not directly compete in the Rugby League World Cup, the tournament allowed us to get to know each other and collaborate on ways to build the sport globally.

“We are thrilled to be invited to the USA to showcase the Wheelaroos’ unique style of Wheelchair Rugby League.”

NRL 2023: Las Vegas, Wheelchair Rugby League, Wheelaroos, United States, USA, Australia to play USA in historic three-Test series in Las Vegas | NRL.com

• Like 5

On 28/08/2023 at 17:48, fighting irish said:

I can't wait for this. I got married in Las Vegas and this might be a good time to celebrate our anniversary. 

Would the missus be happy for you to be celebrating that with the lads while she stays at home?

• Haha 2

The NRL are looking to recruit US athletes while in Vegas.

I like their chances at finding female talent for the NRLW. Probably a few extremely athletic female athletes with exposure to union.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/vegas-talent-quest-nrl-to-fly-club-bosses-to-usa-searching-for-players-20230906-p5e2ix.html

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1