Vegas baby!!

1 hour ago, Copa said:

The NRL are looking to recruit US athletes while in Vegas.

I like their chances at finding female talent for the NRLW. Probably a few extremely athletic female athletes with exposure to union.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/vegas-talent-quest-nrl-to-fly-club-bosses-to-usa-searching-for-players-20230906-p5e2ix.html

How many League 1 players did Toronto unearth from their combines?

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Tickets behind the sticks for $19! 

A bit misleading as roughly double when you add in all the taxes and fees, the $19 is just the NRL bit - still very fair for 2 NRL games though.

Edited by Whippet13

On 29/08/2023 at 07:53, Dave T said:

Stuff like this;

As for line markings, the NRL has told clubs it will make the necessary adjustments with the potential to have markers at 9.6 metre intervals down the ground.

infuiates me. There is a clear process for shorter fields. They are in use every week.

I'm reasonably sure that you'll find that protocol is only in Britain and doesn't exist anywhere else.  Other established RL countries never need to adjust the field length and markings, they always have full-length fields.

And that British protocol is wrong because it doesn't comply with the "laws" of the game.  Those invariably include a Plan of the field showing equidistant, numbered lines and the statement that the Plan is part of the Laws.

Consequently the correct protocol is the one the NRL is following.  QED

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I'm reasonably sure that you'll find that protocol is only in Britain and doesn't exist anywhere else.  Other established RL countries never need to adjust the field length and markings, they always have full-length fields.

And that British protocol is wrong because it doesn't comply with the "laws" of the game.  Those invariably include a Plan of the field showing equidistant, numbered lines and the statement that the Plan is part of the Laws.

The Aussies can, in effect do what they want, it's their local comp and they can play to whatever rules they want. And they regularly do. 

But there is clear protocol on what happens on smaller pitches, and there has been a for a long, long time. Just because insular Aussie journos don't know this doesn't mean it ain't true. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You’re just making things up again

On 08/09/2023 at 07:48, Whippet13 said:

Don't think that's the goal here, it's primarily about publicity.

Any players out of it will be a bonus.

This. This isn't a Rugby League mission to preach the gospel of the greatest game. This is a NRL mission to get more eyes on their product, and good luck to them for doing this and looking to expand their market while the RFL organises test matches in St Helens and Huddersfield.

• Like 3

On 08/09/2023 at 15:52, Whippet13 said:

A bit misleading as roughly double when you add in all the taxes and fees, the $19 is just the NRL bit - still very fair for 2 NRL games though.

Sure is,have just bought 2 tickets behind sticks priced $39 with taxes ended up $151...Thats America for you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Treizistance said:

This is a NRL mission to get more eyes on their product,

It's not even that.

It's a deal with Las Vegas to sell Las Vegas tourism packages to Australians. (Which is fine, no problem with that.)

Look at the sponsors. Look at who it's being marketed to. There is no priority to get Americans into the stadium at all.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's not even that.

It's a deal with Las Vegas to sell Las Vegas tourism packages to Australians. (Which is fine, no problem with that.)

Look at the sponsors. Look at who it's being marketed to. There is no priority to get Americans into the stadium at all.

It's actually both, there are 2 parties who want to benefit here. Las Vegas want the tourists and NRL want eyeballs on RL to cut into the gambling market - PVL isn't doing this just to make a few dollars off a weekend jolly, the NRL don't need that.

Who are the sponsors btw?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casrhino said:

Sure is,have just bought 2 tickets behind sticks priced $39 with taxes ended up $151...Thats America for you.

Paid $78 including taxes for 2 middle tier tickets behind the sticks, so assume your lower tier and closer to the action. I've opted for section 226 which is in the Rabbitohs end.

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

The Aussies can, in effect do what they want, it's their local comp and they can play to whatever rules they want. And they regularly do. 

But there is clear protocol on what happens on smaller pitches, and there has been a for a long, long time. Just because insular Aussie journos don't know this doesn't mean it ain't true. 

There is eh? If you have any evidence of the protocol which you happen to like existing or ever being followed anywhere outside Britain then please provide it.  I suspect that you can't.

If you think that a successful, high-revenue league like the NRL doesn't understand the value of having standard, consistent field markings which never vary and the value in this case of their strong similarly to gridiron field markings I would call that naive.

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

You’re just making things up again

I am eh?  What things are those then?

Every rule book I've ever seen going back to 1994 when I first talked to Dave Silcock has had a Plan of the field and stated clearly that the Plan is Part of the Laws of the game.  And since 1993 when the 22 and 32 metre lines became the 20 and 30 respectively, the Plan has had equidistant lines with numbers.

And of the hundreds of matchs from 1993 onwards from Australia, NZ, France and PNG which I've seen -- I've compiled a collection of about 1000 full matches from 1975 onward -- apart from a handful of matches in France the lines have always been numbered.

So again, just what am I "making up"?

6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

There is eh? If you have any evidence of the protocol which you happen to like existing or ever being followed anywhere outside Britain then please provide it.  I suspect that you can't.

If you think that a successful, high-revenue league like the NRL doesn't understand the value of having standard, consistent field markings which never vary and the value in this case of their strong similarly to gridiron field markings I would call that naive.

Every rule book I've ever seen going back to 1994 when I first talked to Dave Silcock has had a Plan of the field and stated clearly that the Plan is Part of the Laws of the game.  And since 1993 when the 22 and 32 metre lines became the 20 and 30 respectively, the Plan has had equidistant lines with numbers.

And of the hundreds of matchs from 1993 onwards from Australia, NZ, France and PNG which I've seen -- I've compiled a collection of about 1000 full matches from 1975 onward -- apart from a handful of matches in France the lines have always been numbered.

On pitch numbers at every ten metres? Or just sideline indicators?

9 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I'm not sure why you are going with the 'except in the UK' point seeing as this is the 2nd largest RL nation in the world and home of the biggest international tournaments. 

Quick search on YouTube shows loads of games with shortened pitches and no numbers. 

You're making the mistake of focusing on the Aussies, when in reality, RL is being played all over the world on all sorts of pitches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

It's funny how we look back at Denver as being a flop with 19,500 when we'd kill for that number this Autumn in our own back yard.

20k as a crowd number was very good, and maybe shows the potential that even though the event was sabotaged and ultimately was run by a cowboy it could still attract a crowd that would be respectable in Oz, NZ or GB. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

You're making the mistake of focusing on the Aussies, when in reality, RL is being played all over the world on all sorts of pitches. 

How about this one? 😀

Now that’s NFL markings in yards isn’t it?

edit - I’d forgotten about the nfl posts still in place as well.

Edited by Spidey

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

How typically TRL that we’re talking about pitch markings and slagging the Aussies! 😆

It’s an NRL double-header in Las Vegas. What’s not to love? 

I'm going and I can't wait. 6 tickets booked in block 339. 5 nights in the Bellagio. Direct flight from LHR. My 4th time in Sin City! 🤑

• Like 5