Match thread: Championship Round 22. Sheffield Eagles v Featherstone Rovers. Friday 18th August 2023.

marklaspalmas

I know, it's a bit early for this thread.

But if I have to read any more about what Joey Leilua's prison sentence should be for stroking that wind-up merchant's chin, then my head will melt.

Just kidding, great banter as always. 🤣

Anyways, next Friday we're at Sheffield. Game 1 of James Ford's interim spell as head coach, and that, in itself, will make the match extremely interesting. We'll be looking out for all kind of clues with the team selection, tactics and performance as to how the rest of the season (last six league fixtures and playoffs) will go for Rovers.

On the treatment table we have Ford, Day, Moors and Yei, plus Hardcastle, Bussey and Hepi. Hopefully one or two of those first four could be back v Sheffield. I'm sure we'll have eyes on which half-back combo Ford goes for.

Squad announced on Wednesday.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

I know, it's a bit early for this thread.

But if I have to read any more about what Joey Leilua's prison sentence should be for stroking that wind-up merchant's chin, then my head will melt.

Just kidding, great banter as always. 🤣

Anyways, next Friday we're at Sheffield. Game 1 of James Ford's interim spell as head coach, and that, in itself, will make the match extremely interesting. We'll be looking out for all kind of clues with the team selection, tactics and performance as to how the rest of the season (last six league fixtures and playoffs) will go for Rovers.

On the treatment table we have Ford, Day, Moors and Yei, plus Hardcastle, Bussey and Hepi. Hopefully one or two of those first four could be back v Sheffield. I'm sure we'll have eyes on which half-back combo Ford goes for.

Squad announced on Wednesday.

You might as well start this topic now. I mean it's not as you've got owt else rugby wise to talk about this weekend, is it? 🤔😀😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

You might as well start this topic now. I mean it's not as you've got owt else rugby wise to talk about this weekend, is it? 🤔😀😉

No we thought it was time another team got to 1895 Tinpot trophy 🏆 enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Yes, we all want to see how our favourite other team, Batley, go on this weekend. Up the Gallant Youths!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

4 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

ON the contrary O we've got FEV's own Tom Briscoe trying to add to his record 7 cup final tries

7 hours ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

You might as well start this topic now. I mean it's not as you've got owt else rugby wise to talk about this weekend, is it? 🤔😀😉, which Fax 

Taking a rest before the run-in through to October, while Fax will be going away on holiday come the  end of September.

• Haha 1

Looking forward to the game as it is like a home game for me.Only ten minutes from where i live.As i said earlier we have the players its just a matter of getting a bit more out of the attack.And covering our defensive weakness.Lets see what Ford can do  in a couple of weeks what Sean couldn't do all season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I really wish this was getting streamed somewhere, its got a really interesting look to it for so many reasons.

Especially as there’s talk about it being a sell out. I guess it depends if the production costs by Our League is less than the money that pay for view would bring in.

1 minute ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Especially as there’s talk about it being a sell out. I guess it depends if the production costs by Our League is less than the money that pay for view would bring in.

If it is then make sure you get there early as you all know its a nightamre ground to get in to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

It’s going to be a really tough match on Friday against a decent team. Team selection and performance should give us an idea on how Ford sees things going forward. Bit apprehensive to be honest.

Genuinely.... I think we'll win well.  

An unusual stance for me cos I'm normally a reight miserable bug ger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looks like Lacans in for Astley is the only change from the 21-man squad from the Halifax game.

As I said in the Halifax match thread, there were various signs that Astley was a "Long signing" whilst Chisholm was a "Ford signing", that's probably a gross over-simplification but it will be surprising if Chisholm doesn't play on Friday.

Chisholm had previously made comments about learning to play the way Long wanted which presumably means things like trying to land the last-tackle kicks inside the opponents' 10m to help the team win the arm wrestle, that's the kind of technique Ford is noted for too so I doubt there will be much change in that respect.

What I think we'd all like to see is better shape and structure both in attack and defence. We've been great up the middle but dodgy out wide both in attack and defence.

Interesting to see how the players respond to the change of coach. The club's Instagram post of Ford and Hardman yesterday entitled "New week, new start" didn't get the flurry of "likes" from the players that most posts do, but then that's fair enough so soon after Long's departure. It would be good to see a really positive team performance at Sheffield to get back on the horse.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

if fev cant beat eagles we should forget super league all together. I’m expecting a 12 to 20 point fev win that’s if we start to use our wingers instead of trying to barge our way through them every time we have the ball. I’m confident now the spine spine spine man has left the building.

9 minutes ago, eltel said:

if fev cant beat eagles we should forget super league all together.

Problem with that is every team in the Championship has some performances this season that suggest they should forget SL altogether.

Toulouse got hammered 32-4 at Sheffield, they also lost against Swinton and twice to London.
Halifax lost at Sheffield too and conceded 40+ against Batley and Widnes.
Bradford have had a number of heavy defeats including at Keighley, Barrow and Widnes.
Batley lost 36-0 at Sheffield and lost 42-6 in their last home game (admittedly with one eye on Wembley).

My point is you just don't know what version of a team will turn up against you from week to week. If the Sheffield team that beat Toulouse, Batley, Halifax etc at home turns up, or indeed the one that gave us a fright at POR, we will have our hands full on that plastic surface. If they aren't that best version of themselves, we might win comfortably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Ford has probably only had a couple of training sessions, so I wouldn’t expect any drastic changes in the way we play. Sheffield are going to be up in our faces, and if they play to their strengths best,’it’s going to be an almighty test.

I would hope we've trained more than a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. Especially after the garbage we served up at Halifax.

37 minutes ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

I'd like to think James ford will figure out the halfback conundrum quickly. And leave them too it for the rest of the season 

I think he will, but it comes to something when a centre can sort the half backs out.And Sean who was one of the best #### halves of the modern game couldn't do it.He tried to keep players happy by playing them instead of building a regular partnership.

• Like 2

too many cautious fans re eagles game only thing fev need to cope with is possibly a poor ref whoever it is and dirty eagles tactics obviously expecting some cards being shown.

I’m confident rovers will step up and get a good result with ford taking charge.

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Ford has probably only had a couple of training sessions, so I wouldn’t expect any drastic changes in the way we play. Sheffield are going to be up in our faces, and if they play to their strengths best,’it’s going to be an almighty test.

Thought we were mainly full time? 

1 minute ago, lingaro said:

Thought we were mainly full time? 

From Social Media it looks like the players had last weekend off. Given he was only installed Tuesday the week before, he won’t have had that many sessions with the players, and clearly it will take time, especially if new ideas are to be introduced. Just saying, that we need to give Ford time, to successfully change things.