Newcastle Thunder — Relegation?

8 hours ago, plug said:

Why do these big city's think they have the right to be in the top leauge sport is about results on the pitch and as it stands Newcastle arn't good enough to be in the championship nevermind SL 

And this is why the whole English setup is going so well.

• Like 5

new rise.jpg

To have expansion you need money, time, a solid structure, and good foundations. At the moment we have just taken a reduced deal from sky, we change our structure every few years so every new thing is seen to be needed to work instantly, and the community game is dying a slow death. The game is a million miles away from been able to expand properly.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

To have expansion you need money, time, a solid structure, and good foundations. At the moment we have just taken a reduced deal from sky, we change our structure every few years so every new thing is seen to be needed to work instantly, and the community game is dying a slow death. The game is a million miles away from been able to expand properly.

this defensive attitude worked since the alsst effort with Rupert Murdoch not so well...

• Like 1

We do need clubs outside this mythical place called the Rugby League heartlands developing young players, as there has been an alarming drop off in juniors playing the game in recent years.

Hopefully the likes of Newcastle, both London teams and the team from Cornwall and the Midland Hurricanes and North Wales can bring local juniors through

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

About Newcastle’s imminent relegation in season 2023? 🤨

What's so special about 2023?🤔 

Are you claiming that they should be protected in some way ?

What are you saying exactly ?  Apart from somebody else should say something.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I'm equally worried about the decline of the open age amateur game in the North East. A few years ago it was thriving and they had a team in the NCL.

Actually, it's in decline everywhere. But hey, let's pay for f****** video refs at every SL game. Because that will solve the sport's problems.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

58 minutes ago, Griff said:

Of course you would have to protect an investor that would open up the NE for RL (like every other sensible expansion area) if you do not want to be stuck in this shrinking, poor M62 corridor that is falling behind more and more every year versus the growing, prospering Australian Eastern seaboard

14 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

Of course you would have to protect an investor that would open up the NE for RL (like every other sensible expansion area) if you do not want to be stuck in this shrinking, poor M62 corridor that is falling behind more and more every year versus the growing, prospering Australian Eastern seaboard

What if they don't open it up and we're still stuck in this shrinking, poor M62 corridor - only we're even poorer ?

Which of the current clubs should we support from central funds ?

How much finance should we provide ?

What other areas should we support ?

You could soon spend a lot of money here and have nothing to show for it.

Plus - I think we've bigger challenges more locally that eastern Australia.

5 hours ago, Griff said:

What if they don't open it up and we're still stuck in this shrinking, poor M62 corridor - only we're even poorer ?

Which of the current clubs should we support from central funds ?

How much finance should we provide ?

What other areas should we support ?

You could soon spend a lot of money here and have nothing to show for it.

Plus - I think we've bigger challenges more locally that eastern Australia.

Why do we have less money?

i spoke of an investor and I believe, like IMG, we need several outside the M62 corridor to grow our sport 

of course we have bigger problems than the NRL but we behave like we are as rich and powerful as they are

Tbey can afford to neglect Perth and Adelaide more than the M62 corridor can afford to neglect Newcastle and Birmingham

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

Why do we have less money?

i spoke of an investor and I believe, like IMG, we need several outside the M62 corridor to grow our sport 

of course we have bigger problems than the NRL but we behave like we are as rich and powerful as they are

Tbey can afford to neglect Perth and Adelaide more than the M62 corridor can afford to neglect Newcastle and Birmingham

I'm not in favour of that level of intervention.

On 22/08/2023 at 16:33, plug said:

It's not what the op sounds like he was saying he states more should be done to protect these so called big city clubs from relagation 

No, he *literally* says ‘Surely more should be discussed about this downfall. Where are the supporters, the neutrals and the detractors?’

Edited by philipw

On 22/08/2023 at 22:13, EggFace said:

They are not Sunderland fans but like goung to see different teams and grounds as when Sunderland were not in the same league as Newcastle they were curious of seeing Roker Park etc...not season ticket holders anymore for the North Middle Eastern Magpies as I think they just can't get them.

Well it’s only been closed 25 years……

21 hours ago, Griff said:

Because 2023 is the current year we are in and quite relevant for a discussion on an internet forum. Why do you have to dig and dig relentlessly? What’s so bad about starting a thread to generate dialogue on a topic? 

Edited by dealwithit
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Because 2023 is the current year we are in and quite relevant for a discussion on an internet forum. Why do you have to dig and dig relentlessly? What’s so bad about starting a thread to generate dialogue on a topic? 

Why don't you say what you think?

All you've said so far is that it should be discussed.

Is the owner actually still interested? Without that any intervention would be a complete waste of time.

• Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Is the owner actually still interested? Without that any intervention would be a complete waste of time.

Quite.

On 23/08/2023 at 08:06, The Blues Ox said:

RFL dont believe in good foundations in the pro/semi pro set up.

At the last Sky deal - SL teams took around 13% cut in CF from 1.8Million down to 1.5Million each

L1 teams took around 66% cut in CF from 75k down to 25K each

Should protect foundations not chip away at them.

Would have been better to have a equal percentage cut across the board

• Like 4