Fri 25th Aug: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Leigh Leopards KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Leigh Leopards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/08/23 at 19:30

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

8 of the luckiest tries I have ever seen from HKR😉

Well done HKR, as for Leigh no excuse that it was a game backing up after the semi or the final, they have fallen of the crest of the wave they have been riding for weeks and weeks, Mr Lam now needs to show he can lift his team when things are not running smooth.

Leigh have been brilliant this season, but with a pretty small squad (and lucky with injuries), and also with big minutes from the middles especially in first halves. Burn out was always a risk. The question now is, is it a one week shock to the system, or has the bolt been shot?

You’d imagine the play off spot is very secure, but the next fortnight will be interesting I reckon. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, meast said:

Are Leigh fans really bothered?

Their season could fizzle out now, but I wonder how many of them would care?

During the game, it’s annoying as hell because it’s never nice to see your team play that badly. 

But, after a breath, we’ve run out of steam after a cup win and winning 14 league games. I’ll take that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Leigh have been brilliant this season, but with a pretty small squad (and lucky with injuries), and also with big minutes from the middles especially in first halves. Burn out was always a risk. The question now is, is it a one week shock to the system, or has the bolt been shot?

You’d imagine the play off spot is very secure, but the next fortnight will be interesting I reckon. 

The team selections over the last couple of weeks has been puzzling. Need to rest a few (and there are some players that can come in). Even if a play off spot is secure (think we still need to win one to make top 6 and two to get top 4), it’s pointless if the starting 13 are all burnt out 

8 minutes ago, phiggins said:

The team selections over the last couple of weeks has been puzzling. Need to rest a few (and there are some players that can come in). Even if a play off spot is secure (think we still need to win one to make top 6 and two to get top 4), it’s pointless if the starting 13 are all burnt out 

Agreed

Let’s be honest, a Cup win and play off spot would be an amazing season (I’d kill for that), but it would be a shame for this year to be “just” that as the first 17 is worth much more I think. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Agreed

Let’s be honest, a Cup win and play off spot would be an amazing season (I’d kill for that), but it would be a shame for this year to be “just” that as the first 17 is worth much more I think. 

It would be a shame. But by the same token, we wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are if Lam had taken an orthodox approach with the number of minutes he plays his middles. I think we have a very strong first 13, maybe 15. But not quite 17. 

But now with where we are, I’m amazed that Charnley played today, and not convinced Asiata is fully fit. While Mulhern and Amone need a week off. One of these last two games would’ve been the ideal time, as not much was expected. 

Hull KR very good though. Not sure they made a mistake until the game was already done as a contest 

29 minutes ago, meast said:

Are Leigh fans really bothered?

Their season could fizzle out now, but I wonder how many of them would care?

Their existing supporters may be happy, the CC win should be a launchpad for dragging in new, or lapsed, supporters, to help them move on to bigger and better things. Bathing in a CC win and saying bollards to the ret of the season isn't going to encourage newcomers to hang around for long.

Winning the CC was not mission accomplished. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Their existing supporters may be happy, the CC win should be a launchpad for dragging in new, or lapsed, supporters, to help them move on to bigger and better things. Bathing in a CC win and saying bollards to the ret of the season isn't going to encourage newcomers to hang around for long.

Winning the CC was not mission accomplished. 

Mission is never accomplished in sport. Nobody is ever crowned the winners of rugby league and we all pack in and watch another sport.

If the Leigh players are knackered, they’re knackered. The prospect of new fans coming in isn’t going to carry them through like the prospect of a Wembley final will. 

Leigh’s weakness this season has always been that there’s not enough players that Lam trusts to play. So hes had to get as much out of the players he does trust as he can. To be fair, can’t argue with results overall, but he has some decisions to make over how he manages the squad in the next week or two. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Mission is never accomplished in sport. Nobody is ever crowned the winners of rugby league and we all pack in and watch another sport.

If the Leigh players are knackered, they’re knackered. The prospect of new fans coming in isn’t going to carry them through like the prospect of a Wembley final will. 

Leigh’s weakness this season has always been that there’s not enough players that Lam trusts to play. So hes had to get as much out of the players he does trust as he can. To be fair, can’t argue with results overall, but he has some decisions to make over how he manages the squad in the next week or two. 

The Challenge Cup was just another game, it took the same energy out of both sides.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Well played Hull KR. Outstanding, Hungry and wanted it more. 

Lam made a fair point because I thought Leigh’s attitude stunk but 1 training session isn’t going to win a FT RL game !

Pity the squad ain’t big enough to drop a few. Not at the races at the amount and players feigning injuries said it all. Didn’t want to know !

Will be lucky to stay 4th. ! 

6 hours ago, meast said:

If it's gone forwards off the hands then there's the knock on, it's irrelevant what happens to the ball after that.

Not if he intentionally kicked it! I didn't see this particular incident though.

10 hours ago, phiggins said:

Anyone with the least bit of knowledge of RL Football could have predicted that Leigh's squad was to thin for the rigours of full RL season which bears the question - has the relatively injury free period to the starting 13 been a blessing or an hinderence? Had we been forced to bring in players would that have proved better in the long run?

Undoubtedly Mr Lam's reluctance to rotate even the meagre squad at his disposal then subject some of his preferred personnel playing long and demanding 'minuets' has subjected them to burnout.

Without question some players need a rest, use the squad, get in some loanees, bring the first choice back for the Wakey game, and if safe in the 6 rest them again for the Wigan game, then have a good go at the play offs.

Unofficially I have heard that their are 6 new bodies coming in for next year, but it is the clubs policy not to name them till the season is over, I hope they are 'additions' and not 'replacements' for  the present squad.

22 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I could actually see Leigh dropping out of the 6, I think their race is run

Nah they’ve too good a middle and spine, and only need to win one game of four. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Hull KR

Salford

Warrington

Highly improbable considering Salford play kr, wire, cats and Wigan in their remaining 4. Kr also play cats next week and wire have saints in their run. They'll take too much points off each other to all make the 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

Highly improbable considering Salford play kr, wire, cats and Wigan in their remaining 4. Kr also play cats next week and wire have saints in their run. They'll take too much points off each other to all make the 6.

Correct

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Fair enough, id not really thought that much about it, can just see Leigh losing their remaining games, theyve had an amazing season and i don’t think there would be any shame in that 

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Fair enough, id not really thought that much about it, can just see Leigh losing their remaining games, theyve had an amazing season and i don’t think there would be any shame in that 

I can’t argue with that which would be good news for Wakefield. 

BUT, it all depends on how they respond next week against Hudds. 1 win may be enough to take 4th but they can’t rest on their Laurels because I got the impression they just didn’t want to be there last night. Everyone stunk. 

1 cup win doesn’t make a season and momentum means everything. Cats and Saints look in a very good place. Can’t see past these two for GF.