Doncaster - The Qualifying Final 3rd Sept.

jroyales

With due respects to Sheddings............. "referee influenced the momentum of the game" Oldham at no stage throughout the game created ANY momentum just embarrassment!

And the comment about "playing for contracts" I wouldn't give anybody who only showed up and pretended to play rugby a contract. On that performance not one of them is fit to wear an Oldham jersey.

It can only get better but not this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

You know, next week will be a ding dong of a game at Hunslet and that may be our route to the final after a tough match. We have to do it tough now with a four match run but it can be done. 

I think quite a few lads are playing fir contracts now and that should be motivation from here on. 

The more I think about today the ref definitely shaped the way the game went. He started bad putting Nelmes on report and went on to miss so many forward passes it was embarrassing. Even the commentators picked d upon it. My late dad used to say the best way to break a defence is a forward pass. So true today. Then the Au Van sin binning was were gaining momentum Lessing up to half time killed is off from a recoverable 18 points to 24

For those who say a ref doesn’t drop the ball or miss a tackle, you are completely correct. However he can and did influence the momentum of the game even though he probably didn’t realise it.

The referee could be heard saying about the tackle he put on report, that he "has to do it due to the mechanism of injury", from my view (behind the sticks taking photos) Tom Halliday was tackled, and in trying to free himself, swung round into Nelmes who was trying to come into complete the tackle, it'll go before the match review panel, and I hope that'll be it.

As for the forward passes, watching the game back, there were definitely some that didn't get called back, by both teams. However, I feel the ref did make a mistake with the first sin binning, even if it did appear a little naughty at first glance.

Also, there seemed to be several disagreements between Oldham players whilst behind the sticks after the last two tries of the first half, definitely seemed to be some friction, and, I think that told at times as play was definitely disorganised. The likes of McNally and Ridyard were disappointing, as they've caused us plenty of problems before, but, seemed to be stuck on the periphery of play a lot.

Hopefully, you get through next week, and we'll see you again at our place in one way or another.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

Watched the game on the Sportsman channel as a neutral. After the initial ten minutes of play I knew that Oldham were never going to be at the races. As I posted earlier SOFT all across the park. If Mike and the board are serious the club requires a massive reset. Absolutely no chance of promotion this season. Recruit a young physical pack for starters. Moving on Ridyard, McNally, Ellis, Ah Van and Turner are basically done. Turner will be there due to being the latest star announcement. In League One you basically require a group of fit hungry physically fit specimens. Fitness alone will generally ensure that you escape and get out of the lower league. Team structure is also handy but not essential. Jamie looked out of shape today guys and Jordan is definitely struggling in a physical sense. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robt said:

The referee could be heard saying about the tackle he put on report, that he "has to do it due to the mechanism of injury", from my view (behind the sticks taking photos) Tom Halliday was tackled, and in trying to free himself, swung round into Nelmes who was trying to come into complete the tackle, it'll go before the match review panel, and I hope that'll be it.

As for the forward passes, watching the game back, there were definitely some that didn't get called back, by both teams. However, I feel the ref did make a mistake with the first sin binning, even if it did appear a little naughty at first glance.

Also, there seemed to be several disagreements between Oldham players whilst behind the sticks after the last two tries of the first half, definitely seemed to be some friction, and, I think that told at times as play was definitely disorganised. The likes of McNally and Ridyard were disappointing, as they've caused us plenty of problems before, but, seemed to be stuck on the periphery of play a lot.

Hopefully, you get through next week, and we'll see you again at our place in one way or another.

You appear to be talking about a lack of team camaraderie. Arguing etc. Dread to think what the overall team camaraderie will be like behind the scenes at Donny. On the face a few decent results of late with the inclusion of the three superstars Vete, Fonua and Boas. All three not played many regular league games and I feel it something which requires looking at by the RFL going forward. Not to mention another star in Bureta visa pending of course! I bet some of the signed on players not getting a sniff are furious. Someone is putting the money in for desperate Donny from somewhere.

If Doncaster would have had todays side out all season I’ve no doubt they would have walked this league, they have beaten the top 2 teams in the last two weeks quite convincingly. 

YES the ref was very very poor but Doncaster are unfortunately for us a better team than us and have recruited very well going into the play offs.

Yes we didn’t play well and not one single player comes away from today with any credit and above 5/10.

Also I think Littler was wrongly sacked and should of been given till the end of the season before the club starts afresh next season with the new recruits and I do hope some of this years squad stays on board as there is some talented players in there surrounded by some poor quality. 

finally,  please don’t put Paga to 9 again, very poor as he is solo player and that doesn’t work at 9 unfortunately. 

Dewsbury schooled Donny earlier this season at Dewsbury. I know Donny did not have their superstars. In the return at Donny Dewsbury had already secured the league title three weeks earlier. As a result they took two full weeks off training and trained during week three. Went to Donny in pretty much party mode and still only lost by ten points. Vete crashed over today but not against Dewsbury. Young back rower met him full on and held him up over the line. Vete couldn’t believe it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jroyales said:

With due respects to Sheddings............. "referee influenced the momentum of the game" Oldham at no stage throughout the game created ANY momentum just embarrassment!

And the comment about "playing for contracts" I wouldn't give anybody who only showed up and pretended to play rugby a contract. On that performance not one of them is fit to wear an Oldham jersey.

It can only get better but not this season.

The result is probably because most of your lads know they will not be at Oldham next year. There are loads of rumours that there will be  big changes to the squad next season and that's bound to lead to a drop in commitment. If Oldham do not get promoted I think they will dominate the division next year. 

• Like 1

2 players were waiting for visas, only Fonua was out of the country at the time as is often the case when waiting for visas.

Fonua's came through, his is a work visa so he can play.

Faraimo's has not come through yet, but he is after residency so it's a more complicated affair, so he hasn't played.

Edited by Jemmo

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

Superstud, when you make reference to the "RL should look into this", what are you referring to?

Have Doncaster done something wrong? I'm clutching to straws for reasons why the Yeds played so badly.

Yes we were poor yesterday and didn’t play well but that Doncaster team available to them yesterday would finish mid table championship.

unfortunately for Doncaster they will lose 4 or 5 players from that squad for next season and won’t be able to replace them we got beat by the beater team and we won’t go up this season because 75% of the squad isn’t good enough, deal with it and move on 

Edited by ManchesterYed

2 hours ago, jroyales said:

Superstud, when you make reference to the "RL should look into this", what are you referring to?

Have Doncaster done something wrong? I'm clutching to straws for reasons why the Yeds played so badly.

I am not saying that Doncaster have done anything wrong as per the current RFL rules. Something just doesn’t sit right with me and this is not just directed at Doncaster. I feel that players should have played or be eligible to have played in 5 previous fixtures prior to the end of season play off’s commencing. This is what I would like the RFL to look at going forward. If Bureta Farimo gets visa clearance this week what is to stop him coming straight in? Also if a play off club is dual reg’d with another club what’s to stop players being brought in for the play off’s?

So what you are saying is that any club can bring in players from overseas on a work visa, importantly at any time. So Oldham could have brought NRL players in to guarantee promotion even though there are rules stopping dual reg players and a signing deadline rejecting this.

2 minutes ago, jroyales said:

So what you are saying is that any club can bring in players from overseas on a work visa, importantly at any time. So Oldham could have brought NRL players in to guarantee promotion even though there are rules stopping dual reg players and a signing deadline rejecting this.

I am not an expert on visa’s but in the case of Fonua it appears that may be the case. Understand he was out of the country having secured his release from Cas and then came to Donny on a work visa. Looks like Farimo is looking to seek British residency so his application will be different. His wife works in public services over here so no doubt that will be a factor in seeking residency.

I hesitate to call them highlights.... but here they are...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

Yes we were poor yesterday and didn’t play well but that Doncaster team available to them yesterday would finish mid table championship.

unfortunately for Doncaster they will lose 4 or 5 players from that squad for next season and won’t be able to replace them we got beat by the beater team and we won’t go up this season because 75% of the squad isn’t good enough, deal with it and move on 

Nowhere close. The fitness levels are vastly different in the leagues for a start, line defence is far better than Oldham showed yesterday and old men get found out very quickly in the Championship.

Watching as a neutral some posters on here are clutching at straws in trying to blame the referee - even if Mike Ford had refereed yesterday you would still have lost. For whatever reason your lot didn't look up for it. I do recall the criticisms that Littler received on here before he was sacked - have you actually seen any meaningful improvement in performances since the new coaching regime took over.

There are no silver bullets in RL - you need a good, young, spirited and motivated squad for next season to do well. Some of your older players might actually be holding back the development of other players and the generation of a team identity. Good luck.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

It's not yet over. Although improbable, it's still possible for us to turn things around. However in the unlikely event that we do and we gain promotion, then it shows what a nonsense the playoff system is. Doncaster have beaten us 4 times this season.  Now let's forget today, focus on crusaders, beat them then beat the winners of hunslet and Doncaster. Then it's the final. 

Losers, I believe.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Soz.  you're right.

To all those who are saying it's over, it can't be turned around and we're not going to go bp to watch that rubbish, I say this....Samoa. 60-6 loss v England. It was men against boys, England were a shoe in for the final!!! 🤔

I can’t speak for any other posters but I do get where you are coming from. Personally I want Oldham RLFC to do well because in my humble opinion a good Oldham will be good for RL. I believe the club has the potential to take off in the coming years but the next two years will be crucial. Yesterday was embarrassing it really was. Over to you Fordy can you back certain things up? Only time will tell.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

With reference to your points.

No it's not.

On current form. But form can change.

Maybe, maybe not.

It was streamed online. So undecideds stayed at home. Me, I was working so hid myself away and watched it online.

We've got a motivation problem too.  A few of the players have realised the big change in personnel for next season and have already signed for other clubs for next season.  They're already on the beach.  IMO  we won't go up, but next year is a different ball game, we should smash that league next season 

• Like 4