Sat 2nd -Sun 3rd Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

18 hours ago, Trojan said:

All these anti Fev reports at Bradford come from the same unreliable source every time.  He's a known one eyed entitled Bulls fan intent on stopping Fev if he can

Unreliable source?

I was stood 10m from the trouble causing scroats and saw it with my own eyes. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Unreliable source?

I was stood 10m from the trouble causing scroats and saw it with my own eyes. 

Whilst Featherstone supporters continue to deny that there are any troublemakers in their ranks, the situation won't improve.

I don't mind too much.  We took their money, let them through the turnstiles at Sheffield and we chucked them out.  Our mistake was that we didn't chuck them out sooner.

• Confused 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

20 minutes ago, Griff said:

Whilst Featherstone supporters continue to deny that there are any troublemakers in their ranks, the situation won't improve.

I don't think any right-minded Featherstone fan denies we have an element that follows the team in a manner that is not appropriate.

However, identifying them is not easy. And it's got to be left to the stewards to identify anti-social behaviour otherwise it becomes a free for all.

• Like 2

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

10 minutes ago, roversspud said:

I don't think any right-minded Featherstone fan denies we have an element that follows the team in a manner that is not appropriate.

However, identifying them is not easy. And it's got to be left to the stewards to identify anti-social behaviour otherwise it becomes a free for all.

Yep, stewarding's important.  If you need more stewards, get them.  If you need better stewards, get them. If the stewards need body cams, get them.  If the police need to be there, get them.  If Fev stewards need to go to away games to identify known troublemakers, do it.

It's not impossible.  Soccer was a war zone forty years ago.   Far worse than Fev.  They largely cleaned up their act with hard work.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't mind too much.  We took their money, let them through the turnstiles at Sheffield and we chucked them out.  Our mistake was that we didn't chuck them out sooner.

Continue to deny them ? You can't read many threads with regards to our problem with the few idiots we have. Not one Rovers supporter has denied there's no trouble,and I'd be interested in your opinion on what you would do to eradicate the trouble.

• Like 1

Just now, Fevrover said:

Continue to deny them ? You can't read many threads with regards to our problem with the few idiots we have. Not one Rovers supporter has denied there's no trouble,and I'd be interested in your opinion on what you would do to eradicate the trouble.

I've already said.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Yeah i haven't read em all lol.

I'm not saying it's easy but the notion that it's impossible is ridiculous.

Soccer proves the point.

• Like 1

As others have said, we have a few numpties at Fev, always have had going back to the 1970s at least, and so have quite a lot of RL clubs, most of the regular posters on the main Featherstone forum would condemn anyone who goes out looking for trouble and the club has put a lot of effort into trying to identify and ban culprits. Quite apart from the fact that it's the right thing to do, the club have had a couple of fines in recent years for fans' behaviour and are clearly desperate to avoid more of the same, so it's not any lack of motivation from the club, there have been regular postings on the website too about anti-social behaviour etc.

I think though there is a sense that a small number of fans of one or two other clubs are gleeful rather than disappointed when these incidents occur and I think that annoys a lot of Fev fans. That's not to condone any incidents of bad behaviour, if people are found and proven to have behaved badly they should be banned and I'm sure the club will continue to do so, but to suggest that this is exclusively a Fev problem is a bit misleading, there are a a few clubs struggling with similar issues. For instance judged on their forum a lot of Hull KR fans seem very frustrated this year by the behaviour of a small proportion of people attending their games with bottle throwing, racist abuse etc being cited, I've seen Leigh fans complaining about the behaviour of a small number of their fans, there have been incidents at Wakefield/Castleford games, and there was an incident at the Barrow v Whitehaven game earlier this season that looked like something from the 1970s with multiple people brawling up and down the terraces. That's just off the top of my head.

I know this sounds like whataboutery but just trying to keep things in context, I think security can be difficult to gauge in the Championship because most games the atmosphere is genteel, it's just the odd game where something suddenly erupts and usually involving a very small number of supporters. We tend to segregate home games against Halifax and Bradford because of previous animosity, for instance, but for most games against the likes of Batley, York, Keighley and most other teams we don't and I think supporters of those teams would be bemused by the reputation Post Office Road seems to have.

I think the reason some Fev fans are defensive is not because they're in denial, we all know we have had problems at some games, but let's not tar everyone with the same brush, as many fans of Championship clubs will testify the average Fev fan will happily sit in the pub chatting away about the sport with fans of the opposing club, both home and away.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As others have said, we have a few numpties at Fev, always have had going back to the 1970s at least, and so have quite a lot of RL clubs, most of the regular posters on the main Featherstone forum would condemn anyone who goes out looking for trouble and the club has put a lot of effort into trying to identify and ban culprits. Quite apart from the fact that it's the right thing to do, the club have had a couple of fines in recent years for fans' behaviour and are clearly desperate to avoid more of the same, so it's not any lack of motivation from the club, there have been regular postings on the website too about anti-social behaviour etc.

I think though there is a sense that a small number of fans of one or two other clubs are gleeful rather than disappointed when these incidents occur and I think that annoys a lot of Fev fans. That's not to condone any incidents of bad behaviour, if people are found and proven to have behaved badly they should be banned and I'm sure the club will continue to do so, but to suggest that this is exclusively a Fev problem is a bit misleading, there are a a few clubs struggling with similar issues. For instance judged on their forum a lot of Hull KR fans seem very frustrated this year by the behaviour of a small proportion of people attending their games with bottle throwing, racist abuse etc being cited, I've seen Leigh fans complaining about the behaviour of a small number of their fans, there have been incidents at Wakefield/Castleford games, and there was an incident at the Barrow v Whitehaven game earlier this season that looked like something from the 1970s with multiple people brawling up and down the terraces. That's just off the top of my head.

I know this sounds like whataboutery but just trying to keep things in context, I think security can be difficult to gauge in the Championship because most games the atmosphere is genteel, it's just the odd game where something suddenly erupts and usually involving a very small number of supporters. We tend to segregate home games against Halifax and Bradford because of previous animosity, for instance, but for most games against the likes of Batley, York, Keighley and most other teams we don't and I think supporters of those teams would be bemused by the reputation Post Office Road seems to have.

I think the reason some Fev fans are defensive is not because they're in denial, we all know we have had problems at some games, but let's not tar everyone with the same brush, as many fans of Championship clubs will testify the average Fev fan will happily sit in the pub chatting away about the sport with fans of the opposing club, both home and away.

Exactly this👆

• Like 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

There is still plenty of trouble at football... most of it is now just away from the stadiums, and largely not reported.

And in that, lies part of the problem. Where clubs attract younger fans, that also attend football, they believe that it's okay to bring that behaviour to rugby matches.

Both Fev and Cas have small minorities that follow Leeds, Hull KR used to have a following from Hull City, I assume that is still the case. I am sure other clubs have similar links.

The clubs can only try to deal with fans when they are identified, but it is a society issue that fortunately is very minor in RL than compared with football.

5 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

There is still plenty of trouble at football... most of it is now just away from the stadiums, and largely not reported.

And in that, lies part of the problem. Where clubs attract younger fans, that also attend football, they believe that it's okay to bring that behaviour to rugby matches.

Both Fev and Cas have small minorities that follow Leeds, Hull KR used to have a following from Hull City, I assume that is still the case. I am sure other clubs have similar links.

The clubs can only try to deal with fans when they are identified, but it is a society issue that fortunately is very minor in RL than compared with football.

Not Rugby League's problem then.

Nobody's fault.

It's only a few youths. Apart from the fella in the car park at the Shay.

Just accept it.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Nobody's fault.

Just accept it.

No body is accepting it the club are trying to get rid of them,they've banned some and like as been said we need more stewards at Fev. Iam afraid i don't know what the answer is away from home ,i haven't heard anything about the idiot in the car incident. Some fans took photos of the reg but i unless I've missed it nothing was done. All it needs is to find out who it is and ban them,it's not that hard.

• Like 1

I don't understand why it isn't easier to identify and ban the fans that are doing this.. People are comparing it to football, but with football you have 30k + in the stadium, we have 2/3k in ours.

It can't be that difficult to identify them - someone has to know them, it isn't like Featherstone is this big metropolis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Griff said:

Nobody's fault.

Just accept it.

Absolutely did not say that, but rugby does not have the same financial funds to deal with this in the same way as football.

Fev work hard to deal with issues when reported, and will certainly have the backing of all Fev fans who frequent this forum.

24 minutes ago, Click said:

It can't be that difficult to identify them - someone has to know them, it isn't like Featherstone is this big metropolis.

Not every Fev fans lives in Featherstone, I don't, so it isn't as easy as saying .. Fev isn't that big.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Click said:

I don't understand why it isn't easier to identify and ban the fans that are doing this.. People are comparing it to football, but with football you have 30k + in the stadium, we have 2/3k in ours.

How do you stop them entering the ground though? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

How do you stop them entering the ground though? 

You liaise with the home team.  You get some Fev stewards to stand inside the turnstiles and chuck them out as they come in.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Click said:

No but its getting that way with all the new builds ,i was a Postman for 40 years in Fev ( recently retired) and i don't know a lot of people now. Plus has as been said not all Rovers fans live in Featherstone.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Griff said:

You liaise with the home team.  You get some Fev stewards to stand inside the turnstiles and chuck them out as they come in.

You mean Fev are having to send stewards to every away game? What about at their home games? Anyone can walk up to the ticket office and buy a ticket and then you are expecting the stewards to recognise every single troublemaker? its a logistical nightmare trying to stop banned people trying to get in to a football or rugby ground.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

You mean Fev are having to send stewards to every away game? What about at their home games? Anyone can walk up to the ticket office and buy a ticket and then you are expecting the stewards to recognise every single troublemaker? its a logistical nightmare trying to stop banned people trying to get in to a football or rugby ground.

They don't have to do anything. 

They consistently say it's a small minority. How many is small? Ten? Twenty? How many does it need to be before you can't remember their faces?

What will it cost? A tiny amount compared to their player wage budget.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Are you coming in toulouse for the match PH ?