Next Coach

STEVE P

Bit of a surprise. Funny how his name kept cropping up and being dismissed. 

As I said to someone this morning, Dale isn't just a head down, hard case, barging prop. He does have some football in him as well. 

Let's hope he comes up trumps for us next year, and when he does that nobody with a  bucket of money comes and pinches  him off us.

Good luck Dale. Let's go get 'em.

Good luck to Dale, but i think mark has taken the easy option & cheap option to appoint him as head coach unfortunately as it doesn't now show Dewsbury Rams as an Ambitious stable championship Team, I'm sure they could of done a lot better, but it is what it is now hopefully he gets the funds to build a good squad and try and keep most of the current squad together.

6 minutes ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

Good luck to Dale, but i think mark has taken the easy option & cheap option to appoint him as head coach unfortunately as it doesn't now show Dewsbury Rams as an Ambitious stable championship Team, I'm sure they could of done a lot better, but it is what it is now hopefully he gets the funds to build a good squad and try and keep most of the current squad together.

Dale was one of our highest paid players, so it's unlikely he'll be the cheapest option in the head coach role 🤔

So saying he's the cheap option is not really correct or relevant. 

He's local and familiar with the club and it's workings. 

John Kear would have cost more, experience commands money. 

Littler after paying his wages, travelling expenses 4 times a week, again costs money. 

Makes sense to set on a local boy, pay him good money, and use the saving on improving players contracts. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

No matter how cheap an option Dale may have been he will still have had to sell his viability as a coach to the management. 

I would have done it for nothing, but my application wouldn't have been worth the bit of paper I'd used to write it on.

57 minutes ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

Good luck to Dale, but i think mark has taken the easy option & cheap option to appoint him as head coach unfortunately as it doesn't now show Dewsbury Rams as an Ambitious stable championship Team, I'm sure they could of done a lot better, but it is what it is now hopefully he gets the funds to build a good squad and try and keep most of the current 

Edited by NickD

16 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

When you gamble you should always play the odds. 

But I’m with you. Let’s back him all the way!

The chairman might know something about this, don't you think?

It is suck it and see, really, very dependent upon the players who are willing to sign.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

Who were the alternatives? Clearly you know given these comments.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I wish Dale all the very best ,of course,but no the wrong choice.If we new the other candidates , i would give my choice.As usual everything is a secret at the Rams. HA.

Just a question, to which I don't know the answer, but how much pedigree did Tommy Smales have when he came to coach Dewsbury in the early seventies? I seem to remember him playing for Featherstone not too long before that.

As someone else said, let's just wait and see what happens. 

• Like 2

Well, if he coaches like he plays, we won't back down to anybody and, boy, it'll be entertaining...... Finny hinted that Ferguson was a big part of things on the training ground last year - he knows the club , the players and behind the scenes so let's get 'on board' with it and hope he works out even better than Finny did - and let's not forget, it was Finny's first Head Coach job and that didn't work out too badly 🇩🇪🇩🇪

• Like 4

3 hours ago, silcoates said:

I wish Dale all the very best ,of course,but no the wrong choice.If we new the other candidates , i would give my choice.As usual everything is a secret at the Rams. HA.

That is just a ridiculous statement.

Do you expect every club or employer to publicly state who they rejected for a job? Have you ever known ANY club do this, ever?

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1

I've never really worked out which way it all works with the coaching scene. A bit like horse racing; do you back a brilliant rider (Frankie Dettorr) on a no name horse, or the other way round, a thorough bred champion that's ridden by a complete nobody? 

Is it the players who win the games or the coaches?

• Like 1

Plus points, he knows the players, knows the set up, he's keep backroom staff, yes it's his first Head Coach role, but every coach started somewhere, so give him a chance.

He knows what's expected and he'll start well ahead in terms of knowledge of the players and club than any external candidate.

• Like 3

On 10/09/2023 at 14:05, Blind side johnny said:

I don't know who the other candidates were but I'm sure mark could of done better if you want to show ambition and spend a little more you got to show it and show the fans you are ambitious from the outside as good as a player he was and he knows the area, team etc i just see it as an easy option, easy way out,it dosent scream ambition to me  and i personally don't think Dale is the one to keep us up in the championship and build on the foundations that liam has left us in which are better than before,but i just feel we could of shown something a bit more,but good luck to the lad i do hope he can sign some good players and keep the vast majority of the squad together!  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KC Ram said:

So you don’t know who the other candidates were but the club could have made a better appointment. 

One things for sure they'd have been sacked by another club lol 

• Like 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

I don't know who the other candidates were but I'm sure mark could of done better if you want to show ambition and spend a little more you got to show it and show the fans you are ambitious from the outside as good as a player he was and he knows the area, team etc i just see it as an easy option, easy way out,it dosent scream ambition to me  and i personally don't think Dale is the one to keep us up in the championship and build on the foundations that liam has left us in which are better than before,but i just feel we could of shown something a bit more,but good luck to the lad i do hope he can sign some good players and keep the vast majority of the squad together!  

Lots of throwing of the word "ambition" around a lot🤔

You must be part of the "undateables" section of our supporters group 🤔

Give the lad a chance, Wayne Bennett turned down the job🤔😉

• Haha 1

I would take Dale over the usual suspects all day ... He could turn out to be an inspired selection ... fresh ideas ... still in the game... great contacts!! And has played for some good coaches!  I find him very personable, easy to have a good conversation with ...and am sure he will inspire loyalty and get 100% from his squad! 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

So you say Mark could have spent a bit more and show more ambition,who were the other candidates? Apparently a lot of the players wanted him to put his name forward so that’s got to be good when it comes to retaining and recruiting of players. I see Hunslet have named Dean Muir as head coach for next season,anyone heard of him? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

So you say Mark could have spent a bit more and show more ambition,who were the other candidates? Apparently a lot of the players wanted him to put his name forward so that’s got to be good when it comes to retaining and recruiting of players. I see Hunslet have named Dean Muir as head coach for next season,anyone heard of him? 

Well I've never put a name in Google and it came up "no results found" when searching his name🤣🤣

Hunslet showing AMBITION 🤔

Edited by coolie
  • Like 1

Well.... In this thread and a previous one ( Thanks Finny ... who's next) the longest list of possible candidates was a list of those NOT wanted ..... all this 'no ambition ' 'could have done better ' garbage is tedious ..... no-one (except Rhys Lovegrove) has been put forward as a serious candidate - and even then he may not have applied ...... we'd all prefer Heidi Klum to Susan Boyle -- but not the best idea if what you really need is a good singer .....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Well.... In this thread and a previous one ( Thanks Finny ... who's next) the longest list of possible candidates was a list of those NOT wanted ..... all this 'no ambition ' 'could have done better ' garbage is tedious ..... no-one (except Rhys Lovegrove) has been put forward as a serious candidate - and even then he may not have applied ...... we'd all prefer Heidi Klum to Susan Boyle -- but not the best idea if what you really need is a good singer .....

Taking over at London is the rumour.

4 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

I would take Dale over the usual suspects all day ... He could turn out to be an inspired selection ... fresh ideas ... still in the game... great contacts!! And has played for some good coaches!  I find him very personable, easy to have a good conversation with ...and am sure he will inspire loyalty and get 100% from his squad! 

I keep coming across “the usual suspects”, but who were they?

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.