Toulouse struggling

Eddie

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

I disagree and think there should be more european teams and less English in the super league, the championship can be for England, the superleague should be European.

How many top clubs can the heartlands realistically support in terms of support and player production?

Salford could be one but are not and leigh are a one season wonder.

That leaves Saints, Wigan,  Warrington this side of the pennines, Leeds, one Hull team and Huddersfield/ Bradford the other side.

Catalan, Toulouse and 2 targeted clubs in new areas, one being Manchester, the other Wakefield District.

About 11 times the number of clubs that France can realistically support at the moment, sadly. 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2023 at 22:43, yipyee said:

I disagree and think there should be more european teams and less English in the super league, the championship can be for England, the superleague should be European.

How many top clubs can the heartlands realistically support in terms of support and player production?

Salford could be one but are not and leigh are a one season wonder.

That leaves Saints, Wigan,  Warrington this side of the pennines, Leeds, one Hull team and Huddersfield/ Bradford the other side.

Catalan, Toulouse and 2 targeted clubs in new areas, one being Manchester, the other Wakefield District.

Wakefield is a new area?🤯

Manchester, Wakefield, York, Newcastle, Rome, Barcelona, Belgrade, Khmelnyitski and Baku - here we come!

It's getting to the stage where we'll have to try this just to prove it won't work. Bit like the twelves and eights.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

15 hours ago, Griff said:

Wakefield is a new area?🤯

Manchester, Wakefield, York, Newcastle, Rome, Barcelona, Belgrade, Khmelnyitski and Baku - here we come!

It's getting to the stage where we'll have to try this just to prove it won't work. Bit like the twelves and eights.

Manchester and Wakefield are not new areas but need a new approach, the Manchester club playing out of the ethiad with links to the uni  would have worked IMO. Wakefield need to do something as an area and stop in fighting 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

Manchester and Wakefield are not new areas but need a new approach, the Manchester club playing out of the ethiad with links to the uni  would have worked IMO. Wakefield need to do something as an area and stop in fighting 

When you say 'in fighting', what is it you mean exactly?

All I can see is long running rivalry between three well established clubs and their fan bases.

With other clubs we welcome that rivalry as a way to promote the sport and build crowds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, yipyee said:

Devil's advocate here...

What would have more chance of success: a rejuvenated Bradford in a new stadium, or a merged Wakefield District side in a new stadium?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

21 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Devil's advocate here...

What would have more chance of success: a rejuvenated Bradford in a new stadium, or a merged Wakefield District side in a new stadium?

Bradford.

The combined Wakefield/Castleford/Featherstone team would only attract the fans of one of those clubs in significant numbers (based on location, etc).

The only real connection between them (and the reason merger is suggested) is that they are administered by the same Council. It's not as if all three are actually in Wakefield - they are three different places.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Bradford.

The combined Wakefield/Castleford/Featherstone team would only attract the fans of one of those clubs in significant numbers (based on location, etc).

The only real connection between them (and the reason merger is suggested) is that they are administered by the same Council. It's not as if all three are actually in Wakefield - they are three different places.

I agree.

Which is why I'm surprised people would choose to target Wakefield area over Bradford.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 10:52, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Devil's advocate here...

I find it strange that a very big city like Bradford can't help fund a decent multi use stadium in the mould of say the sports village in Leigh.....half a million people in Bradford is it? Is it one of those bankrupt councils?

28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I find it strange that a very big city like Bradford can't help fund a decent multi use stadium in the mould of say the sports village in Leigh.....half a million people in Bradford is it? Is it one of those bankrupt councils?

https://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk/article/1660/bradford-council-unveil-odsal-plans

First anniversary of this announcement.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

When I lived in Bradford for a short period, it really seemed to be the city of starting protects and never finishing them!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

When I lived in Bradford for a short period, it really seemed to be the city of starting protects and never finishing them!

True for a lot of years. hoping for a bit of a rejuvenation with the Odeon redevelopment and city of Culture stuff going on. Hopefully, the club can ride on the coattails of this but ultimately success on the field would see people return more than anything else IMO.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

As a City fan, for me Valley Parade is better than any ground in the mould of Leigh Sports Village 

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No English council - whether basket case or well run - has the capital funds to build even an LSV size stadium anymore, the council funding model has changed totally from around 2010 onwards. I've tried to put that as neutrally as possible!

It's no surprise that all such developments were either signed off before then, unless they had an external windfall.

Bradford Council's Odsal plan was in theory viable, in that £50 mln of central govt funds were available in the Levelling Up Round 2, but they didn't win the award, probably because they couldn't convince the govt they had the other £50-70m lined up to match the award, unlike the successful bidders.

There's one more bidding round left before the election, but for smaller bids of up to 20m, so the question is do Bradford have a smaller plan B for Odsal that could win an award. As before, it'll come down to business case and ability to match funds.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

No English council - whether basket case or well run - has the capital funds to build even an LSV size stadium anymore, the council funding model has changed totally from around 2010 onwards. I've tried to put that as neutrally as possible!

It's no surprise that all such developments were either signed off before then, unless they had an external windfall.

Bradford Council's Odsal plan was in theory viable, in that £50 mln of central govt funds were available in the Levelling Up Round 2, but they didn't win the award, probably because they couldn't convince the govt they had the other £50-70m lined up to match the award, unlike the successful bidders.

There's one more bidding round left before the election, but for smaller bids of up to 20m, so the question is do Bradford have a smaller plan B for Odsal that could win an award. As before, it'll come down to business case and ability to match funds.

I was thinking the other day how few genuinely new sports facilities have been built anywhere in the past decade.

And, as you say, not even the LSV would be built today.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

48 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it a pitch size problem that stops them sharing valley parade ?

That and I think there is also a lot of politics in the city between the two. Think city would want a big chunk of the rent paid which might be out of reach for the bulls as it stands

On 16/09/2023 at 00:37, yipyee said:

Disagree, only 6 can support with crowd and player production.

We will see how many Heartland clubs get an a grade

So where is the player production coming from to support 4 French SL teams?

And, as for crowds do you expect that people who currently have a SL team to support will go elsewhere if their club is relegated, let's dissect your crazy suggestion, west of the Pennines you have Wigan, Saints and Warrington who else from those area's who don't already attend do you think would suddenly start to get along to those stadiums, and Manchester you navas well say Winchester. On the east side, one Hull club and you are expecting the other set of fans to switch allegiance, good luck with that, Leeds a city with 800,000 and only about 11,000 turn up, it won't grow any bigger, Huddersfield the town does not seemingly want RL save for a few loyal fans, Bradford are you joking, better start now in finding where they can play out off, perhaps Dewsbury again?

On 17/09/2023 at 14:13, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I agree.

Which is why I'm surprised people would choose to target Wakefield area over Bradford.

And I suppose under Yipyee's plan, the monies to finance a Bradford stadium where would they come from?

And if FC were to be the sacrificial team in Hull, you would be attending Craven Park getting supporting the Robin's I take it?