What now for League One

graham fisher

RFL statement- London Skolars 

While it is disappointing to lose London Skolars from League One,their intention to play in the Southern Conference League in 2024 is welcome as it would add to the strength of that competition,and ensure that the Skolars continue to offer a playing and development opportunity in the Haringey and wider north London area.

Discussions have already begun with the other League One clubs about the impact on their 2024 fixture list,with a range of options to be considered.

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

RFL statement- London Skolars 

While it is disappointing to lose London Skolars from League One,their intention to play in the Southern Conference League in 2024 is welcome as it would add to the strength of that competition,and ensure that the Skolars continue to offer a playing and development opportunity in the Haringey and wider north London area.

Discussions have already begun with the other League One clubs about the impact on their 2024 fixture list,with a range of options to be considered.

Probably having just the one league and super league  will be the way to go sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

I don’t have the answer but you can’t have a league with 9 teams.  
Well.  A well run sport with sensible leaders can’t so on reflection I’m probably wrong and RL will manage it.  If  we’re honest we probably need no more than 30 teams with a SL of 14 amd a championship of 16 teams but it would be hard work sorting that out. Not least cos Super Dooper league clubs don’t give a  **** about anyone else.   

• Like 1

The problem is sport is a business... but fans are too emotionally connected.  Business sense if RL was a retail business rationalisation would have happened years ago!!  There just aren't enough customers (fans) to support the number of outlets!! If a shop is unprofitable .. it closes and its business is shared between other local shops and by doing that makes the other shops more profitable!! ...  The solution is to consolidate... and evaluate the catchment areas to ensure there are enough customers ( fans) to sustain the business!  It would probably see Dews Batley and Wakey as one team!!  I know it cuts against the grain but in time we would accept it and there would be enough customers (fans) to ensure the club was viable and had a future!!   Is anyone brave enough??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

The problem is sport is a business... but fans are too emotionally connected.  Business sense if RL was a retail business rationalisation would have happened years ago!!  There just aren't enough customers (fans) to support the number of outlets!! If a shop is unprofitable .. it closes and its business is shared between other local shops and by doing that makes the other shops more profitable!! ...  The solution is to consolidate... and evaluate the catchment areas to ensure there are enough customers ( fans) to sustain the business!  It would probably see Dews Batley and Wakey as one team!!  I know it cuts against the grain but in time we would accept it and there would be enough customers (fans) to ensure the club was viable and had a future!!   Is anyone brave enough??

A lot of sense there nine ole but I remember some fans voted to suspend our membership of the RL way back after the fire rather than play at Mount Unpleasant.   Personally I think merger of Dewsbury and Batley makes a  lot of sense and Id def keep supporting the merged entity ..............just so long as Owl Lane was the site for the new team🤪🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

I don’t have the answer but you can’t have a league with 9 teams.  
Well.  A well run sport with sensible leaders can’t so on reflection I’m probably wrong and RL will manage it.  If  we’re honest we probably need no more than 30 teams with a SL of 14 amd a championship of 16 teams but it would be hard work sorting that out. Not least cos Super Dooper league clubs don’t give a  **** about anyone else.   

Back to the 1970s..we could even have a challenge cup where all teams enter at the same time…and a four year cycle for Australian and New Zealand tours.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2023 at 14:08, the old nine ole said:

There is a logic but also a fundamental flaw to the argument TONO. 

Consumers need to buy their product from somebody, whether they like the shop or not, because they need the product.. Sports fans don't  - they can simply walk away if their preferred flavour isn't available. Consolidation is rarely a success in sport and usually leads to attrition.

I have no solution - I know what I would like the outcome to look like but have no real plan how to arrive there. I also know what is lacking but am aware of how long it would take to improve things and can only see suffering along the way to that Valhalla. I have read many fans solutions to the problems and, whilst well-intentioned, cannot see any answer in them.

Simply put, the game needs strong, visionary leadership, something that it hasn't had for decades. 

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 16/09/2023 at 14:39, Anita Bath said:

Back to the 1970s..we could even have a challenge cup where all teams enter at the same time…and a four year cycle for Australian and New Zealand tours.

2070 is closer than 1970.

HTH 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

There is a logic but also a fundamental flaw to the argument TONO. 

Consumers need to buy their product from somebody, whether they like the shop or not, because they need the product.. Sports fans don't  - they can simply walk away if their preferred flavour isn't available. Consolidation is rarely a success in sport and usually leads to attrition.

You underestimate the power of high quality marketing!! ... But its hypothetical as no-one would be brave enough!!

Edited by the old nine ole

7 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

You underestimate the power of high quality marketing!! ... But its hypothetical as no-one would be brave enough!!

There is no such thing in RL but there is high-strength parochialism. Like many others I do recall those fans who walked away, never to return, because we spent 3 seasons at Mount Pleasant.

Soon be Christmas.   😄

• Haha 1

I hope Mark isn't reading these comments, after all he puts his hard earned cash into the club to keep it going!

With no future for RL, maybe he might decide to spend it elsewhere, especially as he has no ambition according to some.

• Like 1

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

49 minutes ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I hope Mark isn't reading these comments, after all he puts his hard earned cash into the club to keep it going!

With no future for RL, maybe he might decide to spend it elsewhere, especially as he has no ambition according to some.

For owners like Mark Sawyer & Kevin Nicholas there has to be a certain level of hazard perception, maybe both are looking a little further down the line, and at some point at least 1 of them will step back, and pursue interests away from Rugby League,not simply walking away but more a redirection of focus, this quite possibly will happen at Batley before Dewsbury... Unfortunately the future is not very bright below super league and can only get worse unless a formula is found where super league and the championship are split so each competition can call it's own shots, marketing and media under 2 separate entities. While the championship is tied by an umbilical cord of super league it will never flourish in its own right,merely tethered on a life support system for eternity,until eventually it's cut off and withers & dies. 

Edited by coolie
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, coolie said:

For owners like Mark Sawyer & Kevin Nicholas there has to be a certain level of hazard perception, maybe both are looking a little further down the line, and at some point at least 1 of them will step back, and pursue interests away from Rugby League,not simply walking away but more a redirection of focus, this quite possibly will happen at Batley before Dewsbury... Unfortunately the future is not very bright below super league and can only get worse unless a formula is found where super league and the championship are split so each competition can call it's own shots, marketing and media under 2 separate entities. While the championship is tied by an umbilical cord of super league it will never flourish in its own right,merely tethered on a life support system for eternity. 

😲 What have you done with the real Coolie ? Absolutely spot on mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

20 minutes ago, coolie said:

For owners like Mark Sawyer & Kevin Nicholas there has to be a certain level of hazard perception, maybe both are looking a little further down the line, and at some point at least 1 of them will step back, and pursue interests away from Rugby League,not simply walking away but more a redirection of focus, this quite possibly will happen at Batley before Dewsbury... Unfortunately the future is not very bright below super league and can only get worse unless a formula is found where super league and the championship are split so each competition can call it's own shots, marketing and media under 2 separate entities. While the championship is tied by an umbilical cord of super league it will never flourish in its own right,merely tethered on a life support system for eternity,until eventually it's cut off and withers & dies. 

You are bang on the money!

My comments were really made out of frustration at the few voices who always moan about a lack of ambition at our club, when we, along with many others, rely on the cash others/owners are prepared to put in.

With RL in the mess it is, other than mental issues (joke!), I can not understand why Mark or Kevin put their money or time in. Their partners/family must consider it madness!

I'm bloody glad they do, even though this season I've not been able to attend, the alternative of no Dewsbury Rams is unthinkable.

• Like 5

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

6 hours ago, coolie said:

Unfortunately, I suspect that too many SL Chairmen would happily cut the rest of us adrift. They have no perception of the cultural history of RL nor of the mid-term implications of the loss of clubs below SL.

• Like 3

On the subject of London Skolars it's not surprising they've dropped out of League 1 and gone amateur, when you consider they were only getting crowds of 50/60 people (that's including away fans) they must have been making massive losses which would have probably sent most clubs bust. I've thought for a while they should maybe merge with the Broncos but dropping down into the SCL is probably the next best option for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Combine the Championship and League1 ......... make it a 34 game season, with 13 games home & away vs Championship Teams and 4 games at home vs 4 League 1 clubs and 4 games away to the other League1 clubs .......... Top 8 play-off , straight forward 1v8, 2v7, etc ....... Semis and Final 

Following season....... Same format with four games at home vs 4 of the bottom 8 teams and four games away vs the remaining 4 of the bottom 8 teams.

It's a 'top of my head' suggestion, but I can't see why it wouldn't work ..............

• Like 1