Fiji

sam4731

It is hard to get reliable figures, but Rugby League has gone from virtually invisible to a serious career option in Fiji over the last decade or two. Which sort of coincides with the NRL taking Fiji seriously, rather than stumbling upon the occasional player here and there like back in the days of Nadruku at Canberra.

Or, indeed Fijian RU legend Waisale Serevi, who was approached by the Raiders and the South Queensland Crushers, but was dissuaded by pressure from the Fijian Methodist Church... aaaaaaand also a colossal payrise from his club owners Mitsubishi, which a staunchly pure-hearted amateur like him could hardly refuse.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

League wise there are far, far more Fijian born players playing in NRL/SL/NSW&QLD Cup, French league and British lower leagues.

Looking at the Tonga/Samoa/Cook Islands squads in recent world cup I bet there are more Fijian born players than the whole of the above 3 nation's combined.

As a race/nation Fijian citizens are just totally made for RL. 

I guess my answer to the original question is that RL need to make our great game as accessable as hell to the youngest as Union doesn't fit their aggressive style of play anymore with how soft it's gone.

On 17/09/2023 at 21:48, Futtocks said:

It is hard to get reliable figures, but Rugby League has gone from virtually invisible to a serious career option in Fiji over the last decade or two. Which sort of coincides with the NRL taking Fiji seriously, rather than stumbling upon the occasional player here and there like back in the days of Nadruku at Canberra.

Or, indeed Fijian RU legend Waisale Serevi, who was approached by the Raiders and the South Queensland Crushers, but was dissuaded by pressure from the Fijian Methodist Church... aaaaaaand also a colossal payrise from his club owners Mitsubishi, which a staunchly pure-hearted amateur like him could hardly refuse.

That’s a real shame. Serevi would have been sensational at full back or as a running stand off.

5 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

That’s a real shame. Serevi would have been sensational at full back or as a running stand off.

I agree; I'm certain he would have transitioned well to Rugby League and become a huge star. 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Without wanting to drag this cross code,  a Union loving acquaintance had a very negative, patronising view of our last World Cup to the effect of : those Islander chaps are plucky but they shouldn’t beat your top teams. 

I have absolutely loved Fiji RU beating England at home and the Wallabies. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, pahars said:

Without wanting to drag this cross code,  a Union loving acquaintance had a very negative, patronising view of our last World Cup to the effect of : those Islander chaps are plucky but they shouldn’t beat your top teams. 

Now you (and everyone else who reads your comment) should understand why I said that Tonga won't be a draw in the eyes of the public at large when they get there for their series with England.  And going by your acquaintance's comment, I'm right too.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Now you (and everyone else who reads your comment) should understand why I said that Tonga won't be a draw in the eyes of the public at large when they get there for their series with England.  And going by your acquaintance's comment, I'm right too.

But you’re not if the ‘general sports fan‘s opinion’ is changed by recent results. 

10 hours ago, Stainesrover said:

League wise there are far, far more Fijian born players playing in NRL/SL/NSW&QLD Cup, French league and British lower leagues.

Looking at the Tonga/Samoa/Cook Islands squads in recent world cup I bet there are more Fijian born players than the whole of the above 3 nation's combined.

As a race/nation Fijian citizens are just totally made for RL. 

I guess my answer to the original question is that RL need to make our great game as accessable as hell to the youngest as Union doesn't fit their aggressive style of play anymore with how soft it's gone.

I think league could suit Fijians more. But to say that union doesn't fit their style is obviously wrong given they've just beaten England away, Australia in the world cup and would've beaten Wales were it not for a disgraceful ref performance. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is a possible win/win of potential NRL expansion that more clubs means more opportunities for players from outwith Australia to play in the NRL.

In a perfect world NRL clubs move into a position of financial dominance that allows them to recruit players from either code around the world which in turn strengthens the international game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pahars said:

I was also smugly informed that our world cup was tin pot because there were so many blow outs.  I hope they’ve enjoyed watching Romania lose 82-8 and 76-0, and I’m sure NZ 71-3 Namibia was a thriller also. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I don’t think they’ll be a big draw either, in fact I was amazed to hear Shaun Wane saying they’ll all easily sell out on this weeks 5 Live podcast. However in the circumstances they’re easily the best opposition England could have got and I for one am looking forward to seeing the test matches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pahars said:

How typically arrogant and ignorant of the average rugger fan.

1 hour ago, BladeHearts said:

Is a possible win/win of potential NRL expansion that more clubs means more opportunities for players from outwith Australia to play in the NRL.

In a perfect world NRL clubs move into a position of financial dominance that allows them to recruit players from either code around the world which in turn strengthens the international game.

I'd say it would more be a mix of positives and negatives and not win/win, based on the expanded NRLW this year. Yes, there have been recruits from RU and English RL that have been amazing to watch in the comp, but the quality has dropped off a fair bit as the season has gone on and injuries have built up. Also all games in the last round were big losses to complete blow outs.

17 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

RL is popular in Fiji but union (especially 7s) is still the no. 1 sport. I think they've been semi finalists 3 times in the union World Cup and 3 times in RL. I can see RL becoming more popular especially if there are more and more Fijians in the NRL 

Fiji have never made a RWC semi and have only made the quarters twice.

Still, RU is more popular.

2 hours ago, BladeHearts said:

The NRL is swiftly becoming the best financial opportunity for a professional Fijian rugby player. Despite RU being the national sport, we should see more and more playing NRL in the near future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Fiji have never made a RWC semi and have only made the quarters twice.

Still, RU is more popular.

RU had a big head start though and has a well established scene. RL has come a long way in the last couple of decades and with the dominance of the NRL and money on offer it will only get stronger.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stookie said:

I'd say it would more be a mix of positives and negatives and not win/win, based on the expanded NRLW this year. Yes, there have been recruits from RU and English RL that have been amazing to watch in the comp, but the quality has dropped off a fair bit as the season has gone on and injuries have built up. Also all games in the last round were big losses to complete blow outs.

Complete blowouts like Melbourne 18:13 Roosters?

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 18/09/2023 at 21:27, OriginalMrC said:

RL is popular in Fiji but union (especially 7s) is still the no. 1 sport. I think they've been semi finalists 3 times in the union World Cup and 3 times in RL. I can see RL becoming more popular especially if there are more and more Fijians in the NRL 

They've never once been semi finalists in the union world cup fyi ..  edit, jumped in before seeing above reply sorry 

Edited by Hello

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Complete blowouts like Melbourne 18:13 Roosters?

What? I was talking about the NRLW, the women's comp. Which is a good example of the effects of a substantial expansion to a competition, which is what BladeHearts was asking about & considering.

3 hours ago, stookie said:

What? I was talking about the NRLW, the women's comp. Which is a good example of the effects of a substantial expansion to a competition, which is what BladeHearts was asking about & considering.

Kind of. He was talking about the NRL not the NRLW though

4 hours ago, stookie said:

Oops, didn't spot the extra "w".

Yes, things are uneven, but an expansion of this scale needs time for everything to settle down and the weaker teams to find their feet and sign/develop talent. This is more likely in Australia than the UK.

Ralph Waldo Emerson