University Rugby League

My 18 year old started uni this week at Southampton and messaged me last night to say he had joined the fencing (His No 1 sport and Basketball clubs at the uni) He was asked to join the rugby union and turned it down saying he would only play league and was called a poofter, quote slow unskilled rubbish that no-one watches.

It makes my blood boil what is it with these brainwashed loons and what has happened to the once thriving uni rugby league scene.

Are there many universities down south playing RL these days.

I was one of the sponsors of the varsity match for years (In fact even paid the production costs for SKY to cover it the first year in 2003) that seems to have died a death as well.

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

My 18 year old started uni this week at Southampton and messaged me last night to say he had joined the fencing (His No 1 sport and Basketball clubs at the uni) He was asked to join the rugby union and turned it down saying he would only play league and was called a poofter, quote slow unskilled rubbish that no-one watches.

It makes my blood boil what is it with these brainwashed loons and what has happened to the once thriving uni rugby league scene.

I was one of the sponsors of the varsity match for years (In fact even paid the production costs for SKY to cover it the first year in 2023) that seems to have died a death as well.

Paul

According to BUCS (the student sports organisation) they currently have 50 rugby league teams in their competitions. It doesn't look like Southampton is one of them though.

I'm not sure how many are outside the heartlands, but there are about 160 universities in the UK and most are outside the heartlands so there must still be a fare amount of uni RL played elsewhere.

The varsity match still takes place, although with less fanfare than in the past. It is now played at alternating home grounds rather than a more prestigious neutral venue and is streamed on YouTube rather than broadcast on tele.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

According to BUCS (the student sports organisation) they currently have 50 rugby league teams in their competitions. It doesn't look like Southampton is one of them though.

I'm not sure how many are outside the heartlands, but there are about 160 universities in the UK and most are outside the heartlands so there must still be a fare amount of uni RL played elsewhere.

The varsity match still takes place, although with less fanfare than in the past. It is now played at alternating home grounds rather than a more prestigious neutral venue and is streamed on YouTube rather than broadcast on tele.

Fairly certain they have a team at Brighton as that came up on one of the club finders as the nearest team to me (before the formation of the Brighton team who play a few merit league games a year).

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I was one of the sponsors of the varsity match for years (In fact even paid the production costs for SKY to cover it the first year in 2003) that seems to have died a death as well.

Paul

He should have taken them up on the offer, smashed them all over the pitch for one match, and then walked away.

My cousin, who was in Rovers Academy with Jon Wilkin back in the day, ended up getting all the best surgical rotations in medical school in London after they'd seen him play - every department wanted him for their side. He was a winger, they ended up playing him as a ball-playing Number 8 through the middle 🤣

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
  • Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

It's quite a good data sample to judge the guy (or guys) who spoke to your son at Southampton but I'm not sure I would extrapolate that one conversation and form conclusions about the whole University Rugby League scene.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

University Rugby League peaked in 1993-94 when England Students won the 4 nations (hosted by Wales) and were undefeated in the competition.

And that is an absolutely objective, completely unbiased opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If your son wanted to play League at Uni he could have researched which Unis had teams before he applied? Though I appreciate it probably wasn’t his number one reason for choosing where to apply, cheapness of ale is far more important. 

To be fair, you shouldn't be picking a university based on your preferred leisure time activities.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If your son wanted to play League at Uni he could have researched which Unis had teams before he applied? Though I appreciate it probably wasn’t his number one reason for choosing where to apply, cheapness of ale is far more important. 

Ha ha was his No 1 choice for Bio Medicine 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

University Rugby League peaked in 1993-94 when England Students won the 4 nations (hosted by Wales) and were undefeated in the competition.

I’ve seen plenty of University fixtures. The best one I saw was St Mary’s holding off either Loughborough or Leeds at Skolars (Wood Green is it?) from scoring the go ahead try at the end of the national final.

Must have been around 2004 or 2005 at a guess. Great atmosphere and a great win for the southern boys.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It was thriving/growing then. We even started a league side at the small uni I was at in the union stronghold of mid Wales in 93. We mainly played club sides in North Wales.

7 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

I lived in Southampton for a few years in the late 80s and there was a club side going then, played at Redbridge Lane sports ground. Could be an option if they're still going?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Not that thick speaks 3 languages fluently:)

😂 I was only joking.

I remember hearing Bob Mills on Fighting Talk once say “What a idiot” about someone. I remember thinking how that sentence itself is ridiculously funny. A very funny man.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Not that thick speaks 3 languages fluently:)

My daughter is really good at Minecraft.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’ve seen plenty of University fixtures. The best one I saw was St Mary’s holding off either Loughborough or Leeds at Skolars (Wood Green is it?) from scoring the go ahead try at the end of the final.

Must have been around 2004 or 2005 at a guess. Great atmosphere and a great win for the southern boys.

St Mary's had a very good team in the late 90s with a fair number of London Broncos academy lads.

My eldest has just started the second year of his A levels so has been looking at what Uni's to apply to for the past few months and his most import criteria when looking after the course has been whether they have a league team. Currently looks like his first choice is going to be Leeds but will also be applying to Newcastle and Northumbria.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Griff said:

To be fair, you shouldn't be picking a university based on your preferred leisure time activities.

Why not? A maths degree from Sheffield is much the same as a maths degree from Leeds, if one of them has a sports club that you’re interested in while the other doesn’t why not go for that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why not? A maths degree from Sheffield is much the same as a maths degree from Leeds, if one of them has a sports club that you’re interested in while the other doesn’t why not go for that. 

He's doing Bio-Med though, not Hard Sums.

I'm not going to debate it with you; if you think that all courses are the same, that's grand.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"