Carcassonne XIII confirms it wants to join English competition

eal

Would they be a great addition to League 1/ Championship or an even greater loss to the FFR Elite 1? Selfishly I'd love them to join, but I'm not sure what effect it would have on the French leagues.

• Like 2

Nice little ground and easy to fly to, i'd love them to join.

• Like 3

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

11 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Would they be a great addition to League 1/ Championship or an even greater loss to the FFR Elite 1? Selfishly I'd love them to join, but I'm not sure what effect it would have on the French leagues.

Has Catalan and Toulouse joining the English system made French rugby league as a whole weaker? Hard to say it did as neither would be the clubs they are now if they'd stayed in the French system.

But on the upside the pathway for French players has been transformed. But that's because they're full time Superleague (or aspiring SL) clubs. So that would have to be the ultimate aim for Carcassonne too.

• Like 3

This again goes back to what is the end goal here? If it isn't to ultimately be a SL club then what is the point? Will 3 French SL clubs, including Toulouse, be allowed in SL? There needs to be plan and agreement around this.

This isn't going to be good for the French league but I can understand why Carcassonne wish to do it. I'm not sure with the way the lower leagues are going funding wise that this is going to work. I know this is all part of the IMG process but for me there needs to be a bigger plan, and agreement, on the future of British and French Rugby League. I just wish that French RL had more to bring to the table in terms of funding and a TV deal to get people on board. For me personally I think the goal has to be a French conference but its pretty hard to argue for that when the money isn't there in France to fund it.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

This again goes back to what is the end goal here? If it isn't to ultimately be a SL club then what is the point? Will 3 French SL clubs, including Toulouse, be allowed in SL? There needs to be plan and agreement around this.

This isn't going to be good for the French league but I can understand why Carcassonne wish to do it. I'm not sure with the way the lower leagues are going funding wise that this is going to work. I know this is all part of the IMG process but for me there needs to be a bigger plan, and agreement, on the future of British and French Rugby League. I just wish that French RL had more to bring to the table in terms of funding and a TV deal to get people on board. For me personally I think the goal has to be a French conference but its pretty hard to argue for that when the money isn't there in France to fund it.

If (big if) they had three teams in SL it would help with a TV deal surely, in SW France anyway. 

• Like 1

- A town of less than 50,000 people

- An existing rugby league heartland

- located between two existing clubs

Rugby league showing how small time and parochial it is again! No ambition. 🤣

Joking aside - I'm happy for them to enter.

As others have said, this needs to be to the benefit rather than detriment of Elite 1 though.

To me the most important thing remains (as it has been since Catalans - or even Paris St Germain - entered) We need to properly define the role of the game's hierarchy and its different levels.

Should Super League be a Europe wide competition? A Franco-British competition? or a British (even just English) competition with (or without) overseas guest clubs?

If it is an international competition should it still be officiated by RFL or should there be another body established to run it (also involving FFR XIII)?

If Super League is international, what about Championship and League 1? Should they be British only with another route into Super League for overseas clubs?

As with a lot of RL organisation it all just seems so ad hoc - there needs to be a plan and it needs to be kept to long term.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Damien said:

Absolutely this is where there needs to be a plan and understanding of what the top flight competition in Europe looks like.

The "European" Super League is just the rebadged British(English) League with a French team or 2 in it. There's no French involvement at an organisational level, no French strategy, Catalans are successful despite the circumstances it seems.

To me we should be working to have a fully pro international top league, with the semi pro domestic leagues below that (with the encouragement to play/tour eachother when possible). That top league should be a multi national venture, not just the extension of one domestic comp.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If it is to be a multi national venture then it needs to be multi financed and multi organised, no point whatsoever of one nationality hanging of the shirt tails of the other.

Absolutely, nor should it be one side with all the decision making power and everyone else with nothing. That paradox is why we're in the state we are in.

• Like 3

I know we're all sick of conference talk but in all seriousness there has to be scope to have a French section of the game, long term, whatever form that takes. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating any sort of format yet or structure but I think sustainability wise, having French teams in the English comp isn't wise.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

When England decides to think beyond its next payday.

Lost me, unless you mean like the "good samaritan" who was relatively poor we give what we have to a lost cause, granted Cats have done well, but it seems everyone just thinks that other French clubs will follow suit, you yourself has stated that the Rhinos do not get bigger attendances (about 11.5K home fans because of Uniteds popularity in a football town) T.O. is not just a football town it is a big union town, two big barriers to break down, they won't do it Tommy, and Carcassone is to small to make it big.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1