Championship Meeting

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

You could always buy a ticket for each game you want to watch, couldn’t you ? Not everyone buys a season ticket, it really isn’t that hard.

Could do, but why bother we had to put up with the name and location change now this, it's getting more and more difficult to be interested I'd rather stick to watching the community game with Cov bears 

• Like 1

While the quick thinking,quick working IMG are reportedly considering a new title to replace Super League, a new title may also be considered for the potentially amalgamated new league,or the new conferences.

Exciting,ain't it?

• Confused 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

I can see league one going to the wall. Maybe 3 or four will be able to cling on In the championship but I fear the remainder will end up dissolving or dropping off the pyramid 

But i thought they wanted expansion teams/ areas ? They don't seem to be bothered when teams fold,all for the good of the game ? No JUST SL!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

But i thought they wanted expansion teams/ areas ? 

Who?

The RFL? They play all their big games on the M62 corridor - bar the one that they sort of have to keep playing at the venue that's hosted it for decades - and place no investment at all outside the area.

IMG? The ones whose framework gives no benefit at all to being in a new or underdeveloped area?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

I can see league one going to the wall. Maybe 3 or four will be able to cling on In the championship but I fear the remainder will end up dissolving or dropping off the pyramid 

Do you think that's by design ?

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You can get promoted in amateur game though at most levels. And the amateur game is an hobby/past time. Or a platform for a young lad. 

The amateur game is competitive, no promotion between local leagues and NCL or NCL and league 1.

Big attendances and good venues.

Youth set ups feeding through to first team.

Theres a lot good about it that isn't replicated as you move up the ladder

Just now, yipyee said:

The amateur game is competitive, no promotion between local leagues and NCL or NCL and league 1.

Big attendances and good venues.

Youth set ups feeding through to first team.

Theres a lot good about it that isn't replicated as you move up the ladder

I agree with all that but it doesn’t cost a lot to watch it either. 

Just now, Rovers13 said:

I agree with all that but it doesn’t cost a lot to watch it either. 

True, maybe the league1 clubs should take heed. 

It would cost practically nothing for league 1 clubs to run junior teams either and develop their own players rather than wait for academy drop outs, isntcthis what barrow are now doing?

• Haha 1

Just now, yipyee said:

It would cost practically nothing for league 1 clubs to run junior teams either and develop their own players rather than wait for academy drop outs, isntcthis what barrow are now doing?

But to get fans through gates you need a good side, charging less to get in results in a poorer team. 

2 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

As a hurricanes season ticket holder last year I will not be renewing. 

I paid £100 for 10 home games. Lost Wales. So got 9. Then about 4 weeks notice we got told one was going on the road to derby. (Derby!) So I got 8. This year drop London and Newcastle and the fear they will drop a game to somewhere else to grow the game. ..... (Oxford would have been a better bet)

I don't see why I should pay what is likely to be the same cost for 60% of the matches. I'll stick to watchnrl and see a well organised system 

To be fair to the Hurricanes they did try to make amends. For the "home" game in Derby they offered free travel from the Alexander Stadium. In addition they offered free travel to away games for all supporters.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

52 minutes ago, yipyee said:

This is what Skolars did do. Towards the end they were regularly picking 15 southern produced players plus one antipodean who had played for a southern conference team for years previously and one northerner who had played for them for years.

Didn't do them much good when heartlands teams full of SL academy dropouts, loanees and DR came to town.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Who?

The RFL? They play all their big games on the M62 corridor - bar the one that they sort of have to keep playing at the venue that's hosted it for decades - and place no investment at all outside the area.

IMG? The ones whose framework gives no benefit at all to being in a new or underdeveloped area?

A lot of SL fans on these forums,i should have made my self clearer.

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

To be fair to the Hurricanes they did try to make amends. For the "home" game in Derby they offered free travel from the Alexander Stadium. In addition they offered free travel to away games for all supporters.

Seriously why is this the first I've heard of this

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Cost next to nothing to run junior teams? Where do you get that idea??

2 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

I fully understand this and I genuinely feel for the supporters, but I also can see it from champ clubs point of view too,

Totally selfish set of clubs. Only concerned about themselves and not the game as a whole (similar attitudes exist in SL as well).

Just imagine Fev chairman reduces his funding as they can't see a way into SL. The team get off to a bad start, confidence low, and find themselves in the lower reaches. Disaster, they get relegated to next years L1. I wonder want they and their fan would be saying then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Totally selfish set of clubs. Only concerned about themselves and not the game as a whole (similar attitudes exist in SL as well).

Just imagine Fev chairman reduces his funding as they can't see a way into SL. The team get off to a bad start, confidence low, and find themselves in the lower reaches. Disaster, they get relegated to next years L1. I wonder want they and their fan would be saying then?

It’s not as easy as just throwing 8 teams into a league though, I wouldn’t expect any sport to do that, champ clubs have to run a business too,let’s say we keep same amount of fixtures, but Batley lose bulls at home fev at home and fax at home games but play Nw crusaders, Workington and hunslet say, that could put Batley out of business, I used Batley as an example but it could be any champ club. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

It’s not as easy as just throwing 8 teams into a league though, I wouldn’t expect any sport to do that, champ clubs have to run a business too,let’s say we keep same amount of fixtures, but Batley lose bulls at home fev at home and fax at home games but play Nw crusaders, Workington and hunslet say, that could put Batley out of business, I used Batley as an example but it could be any champ club. 

But they wouldn't as in a conference system they would be guaranteed their derby matches.

But keep the status quo this year and two will go down. What would the change in attitude be if it was say Fev & Bradford?

• Thanks 1

Just now, sheddingswasus said:

But they wouldn't as in a conference system they would be guaranteed their derby matches.

But keep the status quo this year and two will go down. What would the change in attitude be if it was say Fev & Bradford?

We’ve been in bottom league didn’t see us moaning about it, we just get on with it, comparing us is a bad thing to do because we feel we get bad end of stick most of time anyway lol. 

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

but Batley lose bulls at home fev at home and fax at home games but play Nw crusaders, Workington and hunslet say, that could put Batley out of business, I used Batley as an example but it could be any champ club.

them there is something seriously wrong with the set up at that club. 

5 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

them there is something seriously wrong with the set up at that club. 

It’s not easy to say that though Batley will of already budgeted for their season, to suggest clubs don’t use away support is a myth imo, they shouldn’t use it but they/ some will  have too with no tv money etc. but Batley are a very well run club so Batley are a bad example but you get my point. 

Edited by Rovers13

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

What benefit would there be for Oldham to set up junior teams in competition with established teams like St Anne’s & Waterhead? 

They wouldn't. The community game in Oldham is very strong and quite resurgent. Sadly it was neglected by the club during the Hamilton era with a massive wedge driven on which went wider and wider. The club lost many fans because of it it. 

Thankfully, the relationship between the new owners (Mike Ford et al) and the community clubs is now very healthy and there are plenty of initiatives going on at the moment. This includes schools RL as well. 

The club are working with the club and not against them.