Championship Meeting

7 minutes ago, Griff said:

How will a statement help?

Bearing in mind that there's no decision yet.

Seriously? Something would be a hell of a lot better than the complete silence now, at least feign interest. Do you really think the way they're acting is acceptable?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Seriously? Something would be a hell of a lot better than the complete silence now, at least feign interest. Do you really think the way they're acting is acceptable?

They could say there's a meeting tomorrow, I suppose.

But wait - the clubs already know that. They could say that themselves.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The RFL could at least have put something out to address the ongoing situation with league 1. It doesn't even have to say much, just that it has been acknowledged, actions are being explored and a meeting is set for Thursday.

Literally thats all that would be needed. 

• Like 3

I don’t know what to make of all this. I can’t help but think that some of the loudest League 1 voices are begging to be let in. We will never really know but would those clubs of been of the same mindset if they were already resident in the Championship? Rugby family being projected and all that! As I say I am really confused as to where do we go from here.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The RFL could at least have put something out to address the ongoing situation with league 1. It doesn't even have to say much, just that it has been acknowledged, actions are being explored and a meeting is set for Thursday.

Literally thats all that would be needed. 

Pretty sure they've said something bland like that but I can't be bothered to search the web for it.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Pretty sure they've said something bland like that but I can't be bothered to search the web for it.

Nope, there's a statement specifically on Newcastle Thunder from the 13th October but nothing else at all on League 1 since then. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I don’t know what to make of all this. I can’t help but think that some of the loudest League 1 voices are begging to be let in. We will never really know but would those clubs of been of the same mindset if they were already resident in the Championship? Rugby family being projected and all that! As I say I am really confused as to where do we go from here.

No they aren't, none of them have begged to be let in, all they have said is they want games to play, that's it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Tbf to RFL who should release one them or IMG? For me IMG are very quiet.

IMG's direct involvement in the sport is through the RL Commercial organisation. An organisation which I believe is chaired by the RFL.

Ultimately it is ths RFL's competition and sport, and them who are chairing the meeting tomorrow they haven't said anything about publicly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

It was good enough in 1995 😜

That's true Spidey . In fact, my team got a promotion to the Championship, or Division 2 as it was called then from the third tier to the second , only to be told we were having the season after just one league below the top league so it's the same thing happening now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dkw said:

No they aren't, none of them have begged to be let in, all they have said is they want games to play, that's it.

If that's all they want then I wonder if a possible solution could be one division with home and away fixtures but at the end of the season the two lowest placed of the current Championship sides go down and form League One with the existing League One teams. That's the trade off, they relinquish the chance of promotion in return for the games and a 10 team league in 2025.

Edited by Colin James
Typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, dkw said:

If that were true, they could play each other three times. Or four. But that's not good enough for them.

• Sad 2

The best solution I have heard is use league 1 for development, expansion and rebuilding by putting SL reserve grade teams in there for a meaningful comp.

One up, one down, reserve grade can't be promoted .

Also when SL expands, the championship promotes a team from L1 and we expand into another territory. 

This way SL has a vested interest in league 1.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Griff said:

If that were true, they could play each other three times. Or four. But that's not good enough for them.

Yeah, great idea, fans will absolutely flock to those games. 

We get it, you find this whole idea of several clubs fighting for their existence very amusing, good for you. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

The best solution I have heard is use league 1 for development, expansion and rebuilding by putting SL reserve grade teams in there for a meaningful comp.

One up, one down, reserve grade can't be promoted .

Also when SL expands, the championship promotes a team from L1 and we expand into another territory. 

This way SL has a vested interest in league 1.

My worry for that kind of league is the make up and consistency of the "B" teams in that league, it could easily lead to a very messy fixture list and completely unbalanced results at times. I think the only way it works if SL clubs are expected to have a squad list at the start of the season where at least the majority are available for B team duty for the whole season. Obviously there will be players in and out, same as other non B team squads, but what we dont need is wholesale swapping and changing match to match.

I much prefer the Barrow chairmans idea of a one of big league, giving time to invite clubs for the following season into L1 along with either the ones that where expected to be on L1 this season, or the bottom 8 from the big league. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Bang on 👏👏

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yeah, great idea, fans will absolutely flock to those games. 

We get it, you find this whole idea of several clubs fighting for their existence very amusing, good for you. 

Just challenging your misinformation.

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, dkw said:

My worry for that kind of league is the make up and consistency of the "B" teams in that league, it could easily lead to a very messy fixture list and completely unbalanced results at times. I think the only way it works if SL clubs are expected to have a squad list at the start of the season where at least the majority are available for B team duty for the whole season. Obviously there will be players in and out, same as other non B team squads, but what we dont need is wholesale swapping and changing match to match.

I much prefer the Barrow chairmans idea of a one of big league, giving time to invite clubs for the following season into L1 along with either the ones that where expected to be on L1 this season, or the bottom 8 from the big league. 

Which clubs would you invite?

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

So why would they decrease then??? 

No promotion as such Tommy which is decided on the field of play, how many clubs outside of SL next season do you expect to challenge the incumbant SL clubs on the IMG spreadsheet to displace any of them?

By the way when is the IMG points trial run going to be published?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

No promotion as such Tommy which is decided on the field of play, how many clubs outside of SL next season do you expect to challenge the incumbant SL clubs on the IMG spreadsheet to displace any of them?

By the way when is the IMG points trial run going to be published?

I wouldn't disagree with that logic, its just that the poster I replied to suggested that they would simultaneously go up and down...

I think Wakey certainly have a decent chance, especially if London are rubbish. The rest probably have significant deficits in one way or another (which is why the gradings are there).

Not sure on the provisional grades mate. Soon I would have thought?

• Like 1