Sun 8th Oct: Ch S/F: Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos KO 18:30 (Viaplay)

Who will win?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Featherstone Rovers
    • London Broncos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/23 at 18:00

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

This, and the fact that a lot of Championship clubs are within 30 minutes of a Super League team (or several) explains a lot of the over saturation argument. 

So you want us to have less RL clubs ? 

8 hours ago, Bulls2487 said:

Bradford are charging £220/£210

Sheffield £220/£195

London and York £199

It appears Fev are overcharging for Season Tickets compared to playoff rivals.

The spectator experiences at Bradford and Sheffield are at opposite ends of the spectrum, both are poor , I'd rather watch RL at Fev than either of those 2 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, daz39 said:

In fairness it was known at the beginning of the season the bottom 6 would be relegated, again Featherstone only had themselves to blame for not doing enough on the pitch.

Dunno where you got that from, fella. But it's absolute blocks.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 09/10/2023 at 10:30, MattSantos said:

Of course it's not saving the sport. Again, i repeat myself. Fev fans are upset because they see the dream taken away. In a dying sport, it would have been nice to have 1 more ride.

They're not giving up. It's been taken away from them*

*On the pitch

Haven't Fev's players taken the fans dreams away in the last few years?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Haven't Fev's players taken the fans dreams away in the last few years?

Yeah ultimately it's down to the coach and players ,can't argue about that. I think what it is is  that its going to be so much harder to get to SL for any team and that's the crux of the matter inho.

Edited by Fevrover

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I can't believe that grateful comment.Ford had the best squad in the Championship.Most of the players full time in daily like SL clubs and still couldn't fix our outside edge defence.Rubbish kicking game didn't improve and he kept Aekins playing stand off when hasn't the required skills for the position.I have no idea who i would pick as coach but James Ford had his chance and failed so for me he should go.

Fordy is a good championship coach as proved over the last few years , but he does play the percentage game with very little flair as opposed to the broncos who are very much tish or bust , obviously in playoff football that strategy works , he who dares wins .

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

First of all, congratulations to London for the win last night, the best team won and good look for next week.

I am not sure what you perceive Fev have done wrong and where this trying to buy their way into SL.

MC does not put large amounts of money into the club, more the club spending the money generated through the usual revenue streams.

At the beginning of the season it was announced we had £250k in brand new sponsorship, over and above existing sponsors.

Add into that the £240k from the 1200 season tickets @£200 and then revenue from the rest of the gate receipts. The average attendance over the season (league games) was around 3100, so 1900 extra spectators. Knock off 400 for kids, and assume that of the other 1500 split 500 as concessions @£10 = £5k and 1000 @20 = £20k. So that is £25k over 13 games, so in total £325k.

You are already looking at over £800k without taking into account merchandise, food and beer sales, hospitality etc. The club house has regular functions and open for other events, and hired out by businesses for the conference facilities.

These are of course, my back of a fag packet figures.

So if spending money that is revenue generated by the club, then I suppose that they are trying to play the system, in exactly the same way that any club in SL is in comparison to the lowest spenders.

What are they supposed to do?

Mark Campbell quoted on Yorkshire Live today saying that he won't be investing as much money into the club. All open to interpretation, of course, as no numbers mentioned, but why mention it if it's not of significance?

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Mark Campbell quoted on Yorkshire Live today saying that he won't be investing as much money into the club. All open to interpretation, of course, as no numbers mentioned, but why mention it if it's not of significance?

Probably letting FEATHERSTONE ROVERS fans know what's what.

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

We seem to swing from the club saying it's self sustaining to Mark being a significant benefactor. I've no doubt he's put in a lot of time and cash over the years, but how much comes from his pockets nowadays, who knows.

What it hopefully means is the playing squad is refreshed but without such a heavy focus on ex SL players towards the end of their careers.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

26 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Probably letting FEATHERSTONE ROVERS fans know what's what.

As Gazza says, is the club self sustaining, as bigbald claims, or not?

34 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Ok maybe not from the start but they knew at some point if they didn't more they wouldn't be in the top flight.

When do you think this decision was taken?

From your own recollections, like.

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

In fairness it was known at the beginning of the season the bottom 6 would be relegated, again Featherstone only had themselves to blame for not doing enough on the pitch.

Source - the Guardian;

'What happened before this campaign should mean nothing, but it does. To fully appreciate Featherstone’s “chip supper on each shoulder” attitude, one needs to know their story. As the 1994-95 season drew to a close, Rovers were heading for a second consecutive mid-table finish since they had been promoted back to the top flight.

Then news broke of a new Super League and a proposed merger, with Wakefield and Castleford forming a Calder team. The merger idea was scrapped after vehement and bitter protests but the new competition went ahead. The top 10 clubs from the 1994-95 table were given places, along with a newly created Paris Saint-Germain team and London Broncos.

Featherstone missed the cut by one win, their place taken by a London club who had finished fourth in the second division under new owners, the Brisbane Broncos' 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2023/may/05/featherstone-super-league-promotion-sheffield-sunday

12 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Source - the Guardian;

'What happened before this campaign should mean nothing, but it does. To fully appreciate Featherstone’s “chip supper on each shoulder” attitude, one needs to know their story. As the 1994-95 season drew to a close, Rovers were heading for a second consecutive mid-table finish since they had been promoted back to the top flight.

Then news broke of a new Super League and a proposed merger, with Wakefield and Castleford forming a Calder team. The merger idea was scrapped after vehement and bitter protests but the new competition went ahead. The top 10 clubs from the 1994-95 table were given places, along with a newly created Paris Saint-Germain team and London Broncos.

Featherstone missed the cut by one win, their place taken by a London club who had finished fourth in the second division under new owners, the Brisbane Broncos' 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2023/may/05/featherstone-super-league-promotion-sheffield-sunday

We missed the cut no one knew about at the start of the season 🤷‍♂️🤦

By one win, we had better points difference than  both clubs above directly above us. 

Oh well, never mind 👍

2 hours ago, Griff said:

As Gazza says, is the club self sustaining, as bigbald claims, or not?

Well as as been said before we have numerous sponsors, own the ground,amateur RL use it for plenty of finals. Squad builder where fans pay money every month, club is used for weddings,funerals, birthdays and other events the club organise. So I'd say yes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Griff said:

3 hours ago, gazza77 said:

We seem to swing from the club saying it's self sustaining to Mark being a significant benefactor. I've no doubt he's put in a lot of time and cash over the years, but how much comes from his pockets nowadays, who knows.

What it hopefully means is the playing squad is refreshed but without such a heavy focus on ex SL players towards the end of their careers.

As I said, we have been led to believe that we are more or less self sufficient. The letter from MC didn't tell me that he was ploughing 'substantial' amounts in, but more accounting for any shortfall in budgeting.

Of course, I don't know... it's just what we are told by the club. We will all see come next season.

17 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

As I said, we have been led to believe that we are more or less self sufficient. The letter from MC didn't tell me that he was ploughing 'substantial' amounts in, but more accounting for any shortfall in budgeting.

Of course, I don't know... it's just what we are told by the club. We will all see come next season.

Only those in charge will know the details for sure 

Self sufficiency depends on what level you are talking about , I'd suggest as a middle to top part time Championship club , without doubt , but to the next step ? , running a full time squad of 28/30 players providing a strong base to move up to SL ? , less likely 

Not a criticism , an educated guess 

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

Well as as been said before we have numerous sponsors, own the ground,amateur RL use it for plenty of finals. Squad builder where fans pay money every month, club is used for weddings,funerals, birthdays and other events the club organise. So I'd say yes.

Yet Matt Shaw's article says Campbell is investing heavily.

Whatever that means.

Ah - we'll see one day.