The whining about the low GF attendance thread

14 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Yep, I saw a fair few Hull FC and Hull KR fans at Old Trafford yesterday and I'm sure they'd question how central Manchester is!

It's 120 miles from Saint Helens to Hull, with Leeds being half way (60 miles equidistant).

Headingley isn't fit for the GF occasion, neither is Elland Road.

Next best stadium at Hudds also lacks the prestige.

Manchester it is then!

(Until the Bradford Superdome is completed, of course).

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Needs id say, it’s a real shame Elland road is a dump, Leeds United could probably fill a 50k plus seater stadium every week.

Any new stadium would need a minimum capacity of 50k.

probably something similar to Everton’s new stadium of just under or around 55k.

3 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Newcastle is a great city for this sort of event. The ground is impressive and really accessible. The only thing about SJP that could be an issue over and above OT is that, with two relatively small stands, SJP can only make up the seat numbers with an incredibly high top tier around the two other sides. It is a long, long way up there!

They could always install what OT sadly lacks, escalators.

40 minutes ago, dboy said:

It's 120 miles from Saint Helens to Hull, with Leeds being half way (60 miles equidistant).

Headingley isn't fit for the GF occasion, neither is Elland Road.

Next best stadium at Hudds also lacks the prestige.

Manchester it is then!

(Until the Bradford Superdome is completed, of course).

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

The fact that you saw a fair few does suggest it is no issue though.

I wasn't going beyond agreeing with the post I quoted - saying "Manchester is in the middle of Yorkshire and Lancashire" is incorrect.

I'm not suggesting we move the Grand Final. I think it's in the right place at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

spacer.png

Something like this would be great in Leeds

Elland Road expansion gets green light despite relegationNow we can move on. Angus has initiated some activities to finance the project. It will be over £ 100 million to renovate the West Stand and build it to a 55,000 capacity

32 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Elland Road expansion gets green light despite relegationNow we can move on. Angus has initiated some activities to finance the project. It will be over £ 100 million to renovate the West Stand and build it to a 55,000 capacity

So not big enough to accommodate last nights crowd then,  🙄

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

44 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I wasn't going beyond agreeing with the post I quoted - saying "Manchester is in the middle of Yorkshire and Lancashire" is incorrect.

I'm not suggesting we move the Grand Final. I think it's in the right place at the moment.

I'm not arguing with you at all.

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

58,137 last night v 58,213 at Wembley

I think that very much points to the GF being more attractive/accessible (delete as appropriate) to neutrals

Agreed. 

Also that the Cup Final has declined in importance (as it has in most sports), and that having new names on the trophy isn't the zinger of a marketing ploy some think it is.

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed. 

Also that the Cup Final has declined in importance (as it has in most sports), and that having new names on the trophy isn't the zinger of a marketing ploy some think it is.

I wouldn’t say that’s something you can necessarily quantify on that front and certainly not on one season alone. However, the cost of attending the Challenge Cup Final is quite simply quite prohibitive compared to last night, and as a game there isn’t really a lot that can be done about that as the actual ticket cost is a fraction of the overall spend. 

12 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I wouldn’t say that’s something you can necessarily quantify on that front and certainly not on one season alone. However, the cost of attending the Challenge Cup Final is quite simply quite prohibitive compared to last night, and as a game there isn’t really a lot that can be done about that as the actual ticket cost is a fraction of the overall spend. 

I made this point to a couple of weeks ago to someone moaning about some Wigan fans possibly prioritising a possible Grand Final v semi final who tried to claim that if money was an issue then a final would be far more expensive. As you say the Grand Final is pretty cheap for a lot of fans and can be done no more than a normal away game. Its really good value for money for a big event and travel to it from many places in the North is cheap.

On 15/10/2023 at 14:56, Leyther_Matt said:

58,137 last night v 58,213 at Wembley

I think that very much points to the GF being more attractive/accessible (delete as appropriate) to neutrals

Disagree, it depends on the sides who get to the final, saints at either of those and the sales would have been far greater

On 15/10/2023 at 15:25, Leyther_Matt said:

Should also add the problem with travel now. Friend who might be interested next year but who would have to come via the East Coast Main Line is saying his regular experience with cost and, significantly, likelihood of it breaking down are putting him off. The ticket price is fine by the way.

He travels regularly so he isn't basing his view on the news but personal experience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)