Newcastle Thunder

Just now, Eddie said:

I wonder if the RFL even care when clubs go to the wall, their response when Skolars withdrew was underwhelming at best. I’m not expecting them to bail clubs out but do they ever do anything to help? 

Haven’t they bailed bulls out numerous times? 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wonder if the RFL even care when clubs go to the wall, their response when Skolars withdrew was underwhelming at best. I’m not expecting them to bail clubs out but do they ever do anything to help? 

Once again the silence is deafening

• Like 3

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

41 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

This season there were 14 clubs making 27 fixtures. If each club played each other once there would be 22 fixtures. Add to that 6 derby matches for each club that would give 27 same as this year. 

Out of interest does anyone know the funding structure proposed for next year?

22 ?

Looking forward to seeing exactly how "derby" Cornwall's "derby" fixtures are.

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Such as?

You're clearly not proposing financial assistance (which wouild be a kick in the teeth for more prudent clubs) so what help are you thinking of ?

very, very sad news about Newcastle. Always liked their noisy fans when they came down to Coventry Bears, and i also like[d] the 'el classico' fixtures v Skolars.

Thunder were [cant believe the past tense] a club we looked at as a beacon of steady growth and expansion with proper roots. 

Ironies abound with the loss of the Sycamore tree up there.

And to me the really hard thing to take is that Thunder could prosper, grow and challenge for less money than a top player at Newcastle United's monthly wage. 

It might sound like 'prostitution' to some but have overseas investors been considered by any club, or even strategically at governing body level?

• Like 2

If IMG can pass comment about London following interest in the south following an international game I should be expecting a comment following the removal of 2 semi- professional clubs from 2 big cities,with one club having an Academy,Ladies and PDRL side,I believe.

They also attracted more bums on seats to an international game in that part of the world than London did;similarly attracted decent numbers to Magic Weekends 

Once again a wealthy owner allows a club to lose out after those wealthy owners fail to find another wealthy person to take over the club.

Can these wealthy owners not find other wealthy people through friendship,or networking,and persuade them to enjoy the sport sufficiently to take over from them?

Why does lack of continuity exist in rugby league but such as politics,religion,business,crime,terrorism,there is always a new one to takeover?

It ain't gonna be getting better in the immediate...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing but you then have to persuade the Championship clubs to take a cut in their central funding.

Why?

7 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

What have Hunslet said?

Like to know myself but Hunslet's website won't load.

Seems, judging from a report on the online version of the Keighley News, Hunslet propose a merged second and third tier, split (by geography, presumably) into Conferences. 

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

Such as?

You're clearly not proposing financial assistance (which wouild be a kick in the teeth for more prudent clubs) so what help are you thinking of ?

There’s no end of stuff they could do, as you know. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gomersall said:

Either you split the money the Championship and L1 get combined equally or you run with a division where 8 teams are on less money than the rest.

The money's not split equally in the Championship now, so I don't see why that will change.

League 1 clubs can always continue with their eight teams if they think that would be better.  

• Confused 2

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Their reaction here appears to be "meh" again. That's not even reactive, let alone proactive

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There’s no end of stuff they could do, as you know. 

You're not the only one to say vague stuff like that.

No, I don't know.  Tell me.