Newcastle Thunder

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Like London build a RL club in arsenal not a chance it would get off the ground, the only reason teams like Wigan Leeds etc are ok Is because these clubs have been around years. 

And even their crowds are a shadow of their former selfs. 

14 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

The days of clubs voting I believe will be firmly over and don’t think they will get any say at all. 

The clubs would have to agree to this happening - by voting, I assume.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

The clubs would have to agree to this happening - by voting, I assume.

Imo Johnny if clubs still get a say and stop IMG doing what they want their 12 years in the game will quickly become 3. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I agree. Most clubs don’t vote for the good of the game just for what benefits them

That's literally what's just happened, championship and L1 teams met, championship teams voted to hang the L1 teams out. Its understandable to a point team owners looking after themselves, though its incredibly short sighted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

We have to remember IMG are a huge company they don’t get a penny unless the sport makes money, they’re here for millions of pounds not a few thousand. 

I would like know what Eddie Hearns could of done.

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

That's literally what's just happened, championship and L1 teams met, championship teams voted to hang the L1 teams out. Its understandable to a point team owners looking after themselves, though its incredibly short sighted.

It as a knock on effect though. If SL clubs starve you, and constantly out vote you etc, when you do get the power you would do the same it’s human nature tbh. 

Edited by Rovers13

4 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Exact same thing happed in Leeds, but the other way around. 

not quite. the union club at leeds was always a separate club using the same ground with a shared training ground. also, a small section of the club shop and administration for which they paid a fee.  really that's why they went bust because they could never turn leeds rhinos' supporters into union lovers.  i know in the south stand when they had a union preseason game on before a rhino's games it was a mixture of fans turning their backs on the game and assorted not very nice songs about union 

30 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Everywhere is a football stronghold in the UK.

Yes precisely, like Sheffield a top 6 championship club 40 years old, had some success and still can't muster 500+ fans, as I say apart from a few if the Eagles ceased to be tomorrow there would be hardly any mourning in the city, 99% of the sporting public would still be pre occupied with United and Wednesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griff said:

It's true that the clubs most likely to collapse are those outside the heartlands, as we have seen over the past year.

err . Workington and Whitehaven desperate times and a couple of others not to far behind.

the difference is that when its heartland clubs they get help 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, paul hicks said:

err . Workington and Whitehaven desperate times and a couple of others not to far behind.

Tbf barring bulls I’ve never seen any help, and I don’t think for one minute if my club went into administration would the RFL bail us out. 

• Like 2

I've taken some time to take things in and still am to be honest.

At the moment I'm kind of angry because there wasn't a chance given for anything to happen. It's just been we're withdrawing funding and we'll not be around. Don't get me wrong given the amount of funding put in they're completely within their right to do that.

But the bit that hurts is we weren't given a chance, even a small window to come up with something or a way of trying to get funding so that we could at least go down fighting.

Feel for everyone who has lost jobs. Like I say it's not sitting right with me at all and have already said if there's anything I can do to bring things back in whatever guise I will get involved. In my head it can't just end how it has without something being tried. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

If anything for Workington they were more of a hindrance than help.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

I don't know how often I have to say this - I said most likely not unheard of.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Tbf barring bulls I’ve never seen any help, and I don’t think for one minute if my club went into administration would the RFL bail us out. 

There have been loans.  But not gifts.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Rovers13 said:

But on a serious note here it hits me as the owner of Newcastle was going to walk anyway, as surely they knew they were in hard times should of got buckets out champ fans would of filled them. 

As I've said above that's the bit I don't understand. There was some good work done yet I don't understand why years of hard work was allowed to be pulled without us fans at least trying. Something earlier to say I'm pulling my investment if a way forward isn't found then that's that. But we haven't been given that chance. 

8 minutes ago, Phil W said:

I've taken some time to take things in and still am to be honest.

At the moment I'm kind of angry because there wasn't a chance given for anything to happen. It's just been we're withdrawing funding and we'll not be around. Don't get me wrong given the amount of funding put in they're completely within their right to do that.

But the bit that hurts is we weren't given a chance, even a small window to come up with something or a way of trying to get funding so that we could at least go down fighting.

Feel for everyone who has lost jobs. Like I say it's not sitting right with me at all and have already said if there's anything I can do to bring things back in whatever guise I will get involved. In my head it can't just end how it has without something being tried. 

The problem may be that the hierarchy are entrenched in rugby union and their jobs will be secure.

A possible help may have been ex - Premier League player Michael Carrick.A friend of Chris Thorman from schooldays and Mr Carrick has a former Thunder player as a right hand man for his property acquisitions.

Maybe rugby league clubs should only be allowed to operate with nothing less than a 6 person board of directors.

The 1 or 2 owner(s) seem destined for failure.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Just now, Phil W said:

As I've said above that's the bit I don't understand. There was some good work done yet I don't understand why years of hard work was allowed to be pulled without us fans at least trying. Something earlier to say I'm pulling my investment if a way forward isn't found then that's that. But we haven't been given that chance. 

I don’t know Phil and this is purely guess work on my part, but maybe relegation and on only 8 home games pushed him. 

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes precisely, like Sheffield a top 6 championship club 40 years old, had some success and still can't muster 500+ fans, as I say apart from a few if the Eagles ceased to be tomorrow there would be hardly any mourning in the city, 99% of the sporting public would still be pre occupied with United and Wednesday.

same goes for many so-called heartland towns if the club disappeared.  hunslet. keighley,rochdale,swinton, just to name a few. would there really be a major outpouring of grief from many people who live there .

i could have added more but you get the point .

1 minute ago, paul hicks said:

same goes for many so-called heartland towns if the club disappeared.  hunslet. keighley,rochdale,swinton, just to name a few. would there really be a major outpouring of grief from many people who live there .

i could have added more but you get the point .

That’s the problem though most in champ wouldn’t bat an eyelid if Wigan saints Leeds etc went bust, it’s the wrong mentality tbh.