Newcastle Thunder

It shouldn't be up to the clubs to decide and a situation pitting clubs against each other is bad for the sport. I can see both sides and there's undoubtedly clubs on both sides who would be saying the opposite if they were in the other league. Club owners have to protect the club in their custody, it's easy to criticise them for doing just that no matter how short sighted it may appear. Clubs are going out of business NOW, it's fine saying think long term but if a club is on the edge you can't expect the chairman to push for decisions that don't help them.

• Like 2

Just now, Colin James said:

It shouldn't be up to the clubs to decide and a situation pitting clubs against each other is bad for the sport. I can see both sides and there's undoubtedly clubs on both sides who would be saying the opposite if they were in the other league. Club owners have to protect the club in their custody, it's easy to criticise them for doing just that no matter how short sighted it may appear. Clubs are going out of business NOW, it's fine saying think long term but if a club is on the edge you can't expect the chairman to push for decisions that don't help them.

Clubs shouldn’t get a say at all I agree but until the governing body grow a back bone this will continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

Clubs shouldn’t get a say at all I agree but until the governing body grow a back bone this will continue. 

RFL can propose anything.   Clubs don't have to vote for it.

And there's the trick.   You need to propose something that enough clubs will vote for.

It's a bit like Parliament.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Griff said:

RFL can propose anything.   Clubs don't have to vote for it.

And there's the trick.   You need to propose something that enough clubs will vote for.

It's a bit like Parliament.

Yeah and parliament do a good job too 🤣🤣. Don’t go all political on me though as I’ve had enough of politics too lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Yeah and parliament do a good job too 🤣🤣. Don’t go all political on me though as I’ve had enough of politics too lol 

It's called Democracy.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Really disappointed to see the demise of Thunder, there seems to be a lot of development work been done in the north east which without the focus of a semi pro team could just dwindle away to nothing. What happens to their academy u18s and 16s now,at least 4 cumbrians in that set up at minute and plenty of others from this county have benefited from the whole Newcastle set up over the years

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Colin James said:

Correct, So it should not be in the hands of the clubs.

Why do we have the RFL Governors /administrators whatever you want to call them if they are not taking control.

They are the ones who should be looking after the game/the leagues as a whole not just one club or just one league.

That is why the game is in chaos

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

Correct, So it should not be in the hands of the clubs.

Why do we have the RFL Governors /administrators whatever you want to call them if they are not taking control.

They are the ones who should be looking after the game/the leagues as a whole not just one club or just one league.

That is why the game is in chaos

It is a fundamental part of the RFL constitution - the clubs have the final say. They would need to vote in favour of changing this.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

37 minutes ago, Spidey said:

There has been statements- what would you like to hear from the RFL?

Possibly more than their pithy "Oh well, never mind, thats a shame" one that we got for both clubs.

Absolutely nothing in reply to the statements from the remaining clubs in that league who are all in agreement that League 1 is now untenable, nothing at all to indicate they are even bothered about those clubs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Interesting view: players should be paid less.....

If someone is moaning saying that they doubt funding is 10% of wages then I think its hardly controversial to say that if that is an issue then the players should be paid less. I am guessing that Fev have easily the highest wage bill in the Championship, its hardly rocket science that this can be trimmed if needed.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

If someone is moaning saying that they doubt funding is 10% of wages then I think its hardly controversial to say that if that is an issue then the players should be paid less. I am guessing that Fev have easily the highest wage bill in the Championship, its hardly rocket science that this can be trimmed if needed.

He's talking rubbish - he earlier claimed Fev's wage bill is 2m (although he didn't specify the currency). But the fact is you said that the players were being over paid ie they should be paid less.

I, and I'm sure most on here, would argue that no player in any division is overpaid for what they do.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

He's talking rubbish - he earlier claimed Fev's wage bill is 2m (although he didn't specify the currency). But the fact is you said that the players were being over paid ie they should be paid less.

I, and I'm sure most on here, would argue that no player in any division is overpaid for what they do.

Take that up with him then.

The fact is that if funding doesn't cover wages and that is an issue then yes players are being overpaid and should be paid less. This is a point you have purposely chosen to ignore now for a 2nd time now. That is unless you want clubs going bust.

That isn't to take anything away from players and it's cheap to try and imply otherwise.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

If their actual bill was £2M they’d be breaking the salary cap as some are PT and would be assigned an equivalent FT equivalent salary for that mechanism

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Possibly more than their pithy "Oh well, never mind, thats a shame" one that we got for both clubs.

Absolutely nothing in reply to the statements from the remaining clubs in that league who are all in agreement that League 1 is now untenable, nothing at all to indicate they are even bothered about those clubs.

Yeah okay - what do you want them to say though? If the current response in unacceptable what would be acceptable?

• Like 1