England v Tonga series

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

No, people are suggesting that their performance needs to be better and they get sponsors and paying tv partners like everyone else. 

And I'm not just saying it's easy, but it's nonsense to suggest there is no way to make money. 

If we can’t make money what is the point in having internationals anyway, but more serious point where are these RL players on adverts on tv etc, we don’t even market our players let alone big events well. 

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A lot rides on how close and competitive the first game is I’m not downcast about the product - just everything else.

Really looking forward to the actual games.

Me too. The games are rarely the issue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I like international RL and always try to get to as many games as possible, my first one being at Headingley in 1971 when there was a massive crowd to watch GB v NZ; around 6500 if I recall correctly.

I put these dates in my calendar with the intention of going to all three. Unfortunately family commitments now mean that I can only go to the Huddersfield one, this being where I live. I have received the usual email from the RFL advertising these matches, but I couldn't describe it as promotion at all - just along the lines of "these are the dates, buy your tickets". There has been no local advertising, hardly anything from the Giants, virtually no mention in any national press (admittedly swamped with RU news and excitement). I looks like there will be poor crowds - at the John Smiths stadium the Chadwick Lawrence stand (the largest) has been withdrawn from sale.

For those travelling to the second test at Huddersfield a word of warning. The train station has been undergoing regular works at weekends leading to it being closed and the tracks between there and Manchester being unavailable. If you have plans to travel by train you should check the availability very carefully.

I am still looking forward to the game but anticipate a mixture of apathy amongst RL fans towards internationals, difficult timing and very poor promotion from the RFL to dampen the atmosphere a bit.

I'm going to the Huddersfield game also but cannot seriously believe that they would hire a stadium and shut down it's biggest stand. It just doesn't add up, the only reason I could imagine would be if they got the stadium for free or very low 'mates rates'. It will be extremely bizarre should the other 3 stands sell well? 

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Bit early for Dodd to retire.  He was probably in the discussion and should be for a long time.

Hard to tell with Lomax - has he pulled out, has Wane not selected him as a grudge for last year, has he not picked him on form.  All hard to tell.

Dodds having an op on Wednesday expected to be out 12/14 weeks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I was hoping for a more positive thread but recognise the concerns. The venues should have included a non-M62/London game, but they were announced in April so not sure the argument needs to go on forever.

The series has been promoted: as per my OP I've received lots of publicity as an established RL fan, and seen and heard several adverts aimed at the general public here in West Yorkshire. Whether it will work I don't know, but I'm taking a Londoner who has never attended a rugby game and another person who attends a couple of Wire games per year. I think the product will be decent; I hope the RFL make it a decent event too.

A fiery opener will certainly help.

Without trying to labour the point, I live in West Yorkshire and work in a few places therein. And outside this forum, I haven't seen or heard anything promoting this series. Honestly, nothing.

Now this could be due to just me or missing the adverts on the radio or something but it certainly isn't prominent. I have found out pretty much everything about this series on here. 

As I have pointed out, I'll be going to at least one game (possibly 2) so I am doing a little towards it. But at the same time I don't think the RL authority in question (I'm assuming the RFL) should just get a free pass and people told to shut up and attend. They are selling the game short constantly but nothing ever seems to change. They are purely relying on blind loyalty.....and a lot of that is running dry. Worrying. 

Edited by The Masked Poster
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, RP London said:

TBF i googled "England V Tonga Rugby League" and literally the first result took you too the RFL page with the details including tickets sales link etc. 

On your point about clashes.. the 2nd test is the in the afternoon with the Rugby Union World Cup Final on in the evening.. most likely an all southern hemisphere affair but still.. not the best of planning. 

They're four hours apart!

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

28 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm going to the Huddersfield game also but cannot seriously believe that they would hire a stadium and shut down it's biggest stand. It just doesn't add up, the only reason I could imagine would be if they got the stadium for free or very low 'mates rates'. It will be extremely bizarre should the other 3 stands sell well? 

If you look at the ticket site you will see that the Chadwick Lawrence stand shows zero availability. I am told that they have sold some tickets already for this stand but these are going to be transferred to the North Stand. That is where I have ended up with tickets.

I believe that sales are still very low.

• Thanks 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

If you look at the ticket site you will see that the Chadwick Lawrence stand shows zero availability. I am told that they have sold some tickets already for this stand but these are going to be transferred to the North Stand. That is where I have ended up with tickets.

Are you surprised though jonny of the low crowd seriously? We use a stadium that can’t get the locals out to watch their own club, yet we have one down road at a far bigger city not long after. 

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

exactly - the lack of ambition taking a Test game to an 18k capacity stadium shows the level of ambition of those running the game. I totally get Tonga don't have the same draw as the Aussies, but other sports don't seem to have any issue selling out larger capacity stadia for international games, but as in pretty much everything the RFL do, it smacks of under selling 

This is true but comparisons with other sports is always fraught with contrasts. Form whatever reasons that you care to put forward these other sports (and I exclude football which is in a category of it's own) have loads of media coverage for days and weeks before their events. This doesn't just happen and cannot be generated in a week, nor even a year. The sport itself needs to create a much higher profile in order to get people's attention and, whilst social media does play a part in this, mainstream media still carries a lot of weight.

Never mind one test series or even a World Cup, this requires a constant and consistent effort. Love them or hate them IMG will surely be playing a major part of this in the future.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

Are you surprised though jonny of the low crowd seriously? We use a stadium that can’t get the locals out to watch their own club, yet we have one down road at a far bigger city not long after. 

Well you won't even drag yourself over from Featherstone so, no, I'm not surprised. Any sport that relies upon the local population for attendance at internationals is on a hiding to nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well you won't even drag yourself over from Featherstone so, no, I'm not surprised. Any sport that relies upon the local population for attendance at internationals is on a hiding to nothing.

That is true but putting 2 tests so close together on the map is suicide in itself for me. As for me not attending I have my reasons and I’m a stubborn old sod lol so won’t bore you with why lol. 

Edited by Rovers13

38 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I’ve done it loads of times talking to footy folk in pubs, he had a good game last night jai field didn’t he? Response who the hell is he? My reply Wigan RL player , his reply sorry mate I don’t watch that s h I t e. 

Change the pub.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I've just had a look on the ticketing site - The Core Stand upper tier isn't being sold, nor is the Big Red Stand upper tier (lower tier for both are on sale), otherwise I am able to buy tickets in any stand.

There are three blocks in The Core Stand (lower) and one in The Chadwick Lawrence Stand that appear to be sold out - I assume they mean that every other row is sold.

There are lots of blocks with very high availability.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

They're four hours apart!

i know... i will be using that 4 hours to drive home from Huddersfield to watch it.. may well get back in time to watch it in the pub with mates too.. I'm not saying its a big issue just correcting the idea that there was a clash the weekend before and showing where the clash is.. also that its not the best of planning as would have thought it best to avoid those sorts of things where possible for those not able to spend all day out or having to chose between the two due to travel etc. 

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Never mind one test series or even a World Cup, this requires a constant and consistent effort. Love them or hate them IMG will surely be playing a major part of this in the future.

Exactly this, I would book a venue in London for the next 5 years, pick the same sat / sun on the calander for that fixture, we know that we will have a SH opposition each year, and we can probably announce Samoa as next year's opponent before xmas this year.  I'd also just book a 30K ish venue for these 5 years

The point is that you need to have this happen every year for at least 5 years and see if you can improvement year on year. Just having one game every 4 or 5 years in London will not cut it.

Not sure what you would do when England are touring though, as you want to make this an annual fixture.  Maybe try and get a Jillaroos tour and have a England women game instead

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hopie said:

This is not true

I've just looked again, and you are right!

Bizarre - when we booked tickets two weeks ago we were told that they weren't selling them for the CL and on the web page it showed zero availability. I am baffled.