Odsal - RFL Selling the lease

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Wakefield are hardly a shining example of financial excellence, they've been a hairs width away from going bust -  several times. As for Bradford, I think they got relegated 10 years ago and still have not too uncomparable attendances with Wakefield and one or two other stragglers. Let's see what crowds Wakey get after a few seasons in the lower leagues? Then maybe try to gloat about how dedicated your fans are. 

Good for you if you accept perpetual struggling (we don't want newcomers enjoying themselves eh?) but many people want to see a bit of success and (forgive them) fun occasionally. 

How did you interpret gloating?? We are nothing to shout about.

I envy the crowds that Cas and HKR got when they went down - true fans!

How many teams do you think have enjoyed success???

Most clubs are perennial strugglers, in terms of silverware.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Do you reckon? I think many posters on here would give a whoop of joy if Bradford ceased to exist, I genuinely believe that. Some seem to have a pathological hatred and it seems to be based on the fact that they had a decent period of success. 

I'll own up to that! Hate the club with a passion.

Not because of their historic success though - it's the way the RFL looked after them, the way their directors took the money and ran after players auctioned stuff off and the fans raised thousands, and then the arrogant and entitled attitudes of the fans who think they somehow deserve a place in the top league.

Other than that, I'm ambivalent. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, dboy said:

But we won't be bust.

I also think you are underestimating the new owner.

Maybe I am. History isn’t favouring him too well though. I wish him the best of luck though. More solid clubs the better as far as I’m concerned. 

I would love to see enough financially sound clubs for the SL to be increased to include the 2024 teams plus great names like Toulouse, Wakie, Bradford, Widnes, Fev and Halifax (only if they drop the stupid Panthers name). Imagine an 18 team SL. That would be bloody amazing.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dboy said:

Not because of their historic success though - it's the way the RFL looked after them, the way their directors took the money and ran after players auctioned stuff off and the fans raised thousands, and then the arrogant and entitled attitudes of the fans who think they somehow deserve a place in the top league.

I don't see how you can hate any club like that and blame a club and fans for the deeds of individuals. I also find the Bradford fans on here are pretty grounded about where they are, with some admitting they aren't ready for SL. Indeed it is often fans of other clubs that push them for a place in SL.

I would love to see a strong Bradford and a Bradford anywhere near like they were at their peak would be a major asset to the sport. RL needs all the strong, big clubs it can get.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, dboy said:

I'd like you to quote me one, just one, fan on here who says - or has said that Bradford deserve to be in the top league.... just because? 

You hate the club and fans because some *directors* took the money and ran? You need to get a grip mate. But you will have plenty of time to reflect when Wakey are in the lower leagues for the next few years. Me and Kevin Keegan would love it if that happens, love it. 

I was being a bit provocative on purpose. No doubt it will get some chomps.

Of course we need strong clubs - but there's still only 2 trophies to win.

You can't measure strength through silverware, or even competing - there's only 6 places in the play-offs.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'd like you to quote me one, just one, fan on here who says - or has said that Bradford deserve to be in the top league.... just because? 

You hate the club and fans because some *directors* took the money and ran? You need to get a grip mate. But you will have plenty of time to reflect when Wakey are in the lower leagues for the next few years. Me and Kevin Keegan would love it if that happens, love it. 

Chomp.

32 minutes ago, dboy said:

How did you interpret gloating?? We are nothing to shout about.

I envy the crowds that Cas and HKR got when they went down - true fans!

How many teams do you think have enjoyed success???

Most clubs are perennial strugglers, in terms of silverware.

So Cas and Hulk KR are true fans, whereas Bradford (whose crowds have held up ok- ish and certainly in the first few years after relegation) are just not? 

You seem like a really reasonable guy. 👍🏻

We will be back in SL next year.

You won't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

So Cas and Hulk KR are true fans, whereas Bradford (whose crowds have held up ok- ish and certainly in the first few years after relegation) are just not? 

You seem like a really reasonable guy. 👍🏻

How do you figure your crowds have held up??

I thought Bulls were a super-massive juggernaut of the game?

20K fans this, 20k fans that...

Edited by dboy
  • Like 1

Hey, carry on calling fans of other clubs arrogant and entitled while you categorically state that Wakefield will win promotion back to SL. It's definitely a good look - and boy will that come back to bite you on the Harris. 😆😆

Wakey have no RIGHT to be in SL - I believe (more hope and pray really), that we will have the means to score well enough on the IMG ranking. That's not entitlement.

And are you referring to getting bitten on the Iestyn Harris?

Very good Bulls-demise reference.

10 minutes ago, dboy said:

Wakey have no RIGHT to be in SL - I believe (more hope and pray really), that we will have the means to score well enough on the IMG ranking. That's not entitlement.

And are you referring to getting bitten on the Iestyn Harris?

Very good Bulls-demise reference.

Nice backtrack attempt but it's already out there . "We will be back in SL next year". 

That is absolutely entitlement, thinking because you have been relegated, none of the existing championship clubs will have a chance. A year really isn't a long time so watch this space....

22 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Nice backtrack attempt but it's already out there . "We will be back in SL next year". 

That is absolutely entitlement, thinking because you have been relegated, none of the existing championship clubs will have a chance. A year really isn't a long time so watch this space....

No it's not.

Entitlement is believing we have the right to be there, we should be there, it's our divine destiny.

We have no right, I just believe we will have enough to "earn" a place in SL - call it blind optimism.

I can't see a current championship club outscoring us - our 3 year finishing scores can't be beaten by a lower team. We will need the points from a GF and/or 1895 win to get above a current SL team, in terms of on-field scores.

Off the field, we will score more than Cas for example, whose ground is a shambles, we have the finances, big screen and, I expect, will have LEDs next season.

The unknown is the media profile as the scoring is rather guesswork without the actual data.

This is not a commentary on whether the IMG way is good/bad - just the way I think the scores will pan out.

Edited by dboy

A more balanced response to this discussion is that there is a "Bradford-shaped" hole in SL, if only for the simple fact that there is no other club in the championship that could reasonably aspire to five-figure crowds on promotion to the top tier.

That said, the Bulls (and some of their "fans") make themselves very hard to love. For me, there's a sense of resentment and self-entitlement too often on display - as if they're doing the Championship clubs a favour by playing them, and what looks to the outside observer a rather bloated puffed-up operation for a club that's been out of the top flight for a decade.

The biggest irony of all this, is that if the Bulls had gone into full liquidation without the RFL seizing the Odsal lease, a "phoenix" club set up by fans, starting from the very bottom, would probably be as close to top-flight status as the Bulls are now (and the fanboys would appear less angry and enjoying their rugby league more)

The RFL/Bulls relationship has been an dance of death......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

And yet only one of those rivals resulted in several,regular, 20K plus gates and several finals in front of full stadia. You might not care about their passing - but I bet your clubs owners and the RFL do. 

the past is just history and history does not pay the bills.  yes, it would be nice to see bradford  at headingley again but been realistic i can't see Bradford attracting that sort of crowd again. 

they have gone too far down and the support has moved on. really a bit like the Huddersfield situation.

by the way i would never take pleasure in any team dropping out of the league but i do feel a number are living on past glory. its the future that's important and so many don't seem to be able to grasp that fact.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

It’s not entitlement it’s IMG scoring.

Up the Trin 

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

The RFL/Bulls relationship has been an dance of death......

This.

What people like dboy - and I'm not singling him out, because I've heard it numerous times in the past decade -- is that every true Bulls fan rues the day that the RFL stuck their beak into the club.

It was categorically the WORST thing that ever happened to the Bulls. 

Everything that happened since - disastrous owners being forced on the club, allowing Odsal to rot, points deduction forcing the club into League 1 etc etc - stems from that decision.

And I don't know one Bulls fan who thinks we "deserve" to be in the Super League (well, perhaps Mick Gledhill, but we'll ignore him) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dboy said:

I don't like the RFL being in bed with the Bulls, but I fail to see how, for the Bulls, it was a bad thing (at the time at least), as without it, Bulls would have died there and then.

What was the alternative Paul?

From an outsiders point of view it does seem like the RFL are convenient fall guys for the whole affair

• Like 1