The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The bigger picture is a range of criteria worth differing levels of points that are then added together.

Picking out one particular criterion and focusing on that, and only that, is the exact opposite of seeing the bigger picture.

See, it wasn't that hard, was it?

1 minute ago, dboy said:

See, it wasn't that hard, was it?

Not remotely.

But I'll write criteria for both normally and definitely usually say criteria for both. I do know what is 'proper' though.

Interestingly (sort of), I just looked this up and some people who follow language as a hobby seem to be thinking that 'criterias' will come into use at some point.

I hope so. I can already hear the heads exploding.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

As a teacher, I can tell you that, of course language evolves, but using that natural change to excuse laziness and poor standards, is a slippery slope.

Must do better. See me after class.

C-

Nur.

My non-linguist hat is always that, as long as the meaning is clear, then it doesn't matter. I know this makes some people wince.

I can accept that losing the distinction between a singular and a plural is making things less clear so I should be more on the side of criterion enforcement but it's not enough a big deal for me to be that bothered.

As a genuine question though: do teachers still enforce neither/nor or do they accept neither/or as well?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, Taffy Tiger said:

Hi Harry , no of course not , and I would also apply it to all the Cat A clubs as well . If any of their big investors were to walk away then they would drop down the gradings as well , and would struggle to keep their Cat A status . Of the teams specifically in 10-15 however , not all have a big investor , so their grading wouldn't be affected . 

However , some of the clubs with big investors will have stronger foundations on which to build than others , and they maybe wouldn't take as much of a hit .

In the case of Leigh , I do think you would struggle , but I do think that the year you have had with DB has made you stronger for the future . On reflection , perhaps my mid table Championship grading was harsh , but it was more to prove the point that much of your success thus far , has been down to the DB factor . That said , Leigh have used this money extremely well . Having money is only one part , how you invest it is a different matter , and Leigh should be commended for their achievements in 2023 .

With DB at the helm there is no reason why you can't go from strength to strength and secure Cat A status in the not too distant future . However as I mentioned in my reply to phiggins , next year is probably the big test and is when you may be still at your most vulnerable . Starting 2025 as a SL team is a must for Leigh . Achieve that and you will be fine.

As Higgy said, Leigh are in year 2 of this building stage next season will be year 3 of what was initially a 5 year plan to achieve stability in SL a plan that was hatched prior to IMG, that plan could come to an abrupt end in this system, and as I have said if they do get relegated if finishing above any other team in the 12 in the only sporting part of the criteria, I will enforce a personal decree nisi on the pro game, and I wouldn't blame Mr B if he was only a yard behind me.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As a genuine question though: do teachers still enforce neither/nor or do they accept neither/or as well?

I can't speak for all teachers, but the correct answer is neither/nor.

Or neither/nyther 😉

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

F9xxZbTXsAAARhA?format=jpg&name=medium

The Kneets racking up those sweet sweet IMG points... 🤌🏼

They weren't bothered about my user experience when they stopped accepting cash for food and drink midseason this year Gav! 😂

I stopped buying things in the stadium after that and got my pie and pint before/afterwards elsewhere - I'll keep my £7.80 thanks, that'll teach them when they add up their finance data for the grading! 🤣

12 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

They weren't bothered about my user experience when they stopped accepting cash for food and drink midseason this year Gav! 😂

I stopped buying things in the stadium after that and got my pie and pint before/afterwards elsewhere - I'll keep my £7.80 thanks, that'll teach them when they add up their finance data for the grading! 🤣

Weird thing to get annoyed about to be honest mate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Aren't most sporting stadiums going cashless now? I don't understand why people don't like it, its much easier for both the vendor and purchaser.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

It's not an either/or, Harry. Clubs improving is a good thing. 

It's odd isn't it, it's almost like people don't want clubs to improve all aspects of what they do for some reason.

I for one would love York in SL at some point, and I think they'll get there because they are doing all the right things, including improving on the pitch.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, dboy said:

I can't speak for all teachers, but the correct answer is neither/nor.

Or neither/nyther 😉

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Anyway,can't sit here all day reading this. Got to get back to the shop to sell my apple's and pear's.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We're back to the whole focus being on the positioning of a few clubs either side of the SL boundary.

Obsessing about the mediocre will be the death of the game in this country.

Could of swore a few pages back that you said that basically the whole game is mediocre.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

19 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Aren't most sporting stadiums going cashless now? I don't understand why people don't like it, its much easier for both the vendor and purchaser.

The vendor obviously considers it easier (hence them limiting the options) and I may well be in a minority, but as a purchaser it isn't what I want.

I'm sure York Knights/the stadium management company aren't particularly worried about my preference - I'm not a York supporter and went to maybe one in three of their home matches this year. I'm happy to not buy anything and if I objected too much there are plenty of other other clubs I could go to that aren't too much further away. I'm sure they've factored potential lost custom into the equation and figured the efficiency savings make it worthwhile.

The other three grounds I went to this year (all Championship) did give both options, as did York earlier in the season before changing policy.

The phrase 'improved stadium user experience' just made me chuckle when them reducing the 'user's' choices came to mind.

Edited by Barley Mow

5 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

The vendor obviously considers it easier (hence them limiting the options) and I may well be in a minority, but as a purchaser it isn't what I want.

I'm sure York Knights/the stadium management company aren't particularly worried about my preference - I'm not a York supporter and went to maybe one in three of their home matches this year. I'm happy to not buy anything and if I objected too much there are plenty of other other clubs I could go to that aren't too much further away. I'm sure they've factored potential lost custom into the equation and figured the efficiency savings make it worthwhile.

The phrase 'improved stadium user experience' just made me chuckle when them reducing the 'user's' choices came to mind.

As I say I'm not sure why you wouldn't want it, it's easier all round.

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s easier tapping a card (or phone) to pay for things in the stadium than it is to pay cash. It also speeds up queue’s. Leeds have installed self serve bars now, itself made a massive difference in waiting times for drinks.

No wonder you are called the Wino's😉

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s easier tapping a card (or phone) to pay for things in the stadium than it is to pay cash. It also speeds up queue’s. Leeds have installed self serve bars now, itself made a massive difference in waiting times for drinks.

Other than waiting 5 or 10 seconds for change, I can't see that it is easier for me to tap a card than pay by cash.

I can see that the time saving there (and with banking cash, etc) will be an efficiency saving for the stadium.

Self service bars are a good idea - plenty of people will use them and that will save time for everyone.

Plenty of people will want to pay by card at a till as well.

That's fine, I'm not advocating taking those options away from them. But I can see no advantage to me in paying for a small item (like a pint) electronically when I would rather not. It would just be nice to have the choice.

But as I say, I'll just buy my food/drink elsewhere or watch my rugby elsewhere. There's no great loss, it just diminishes my 'user experience' slightly.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Weird thing to get annoyed about to be honest mate. 

maybe... but back in the eighties I stopped going to Anfield and stopped my season ticket because I didn't have the choice to have sugar in my cuppa tea, that is it came out of a big teapot in which sugar was already added and it was that or nowt...  I have never been back since

May be weird but it come down to choice... same as being able to purchase in cash or not. Yep I can see how it can be easier for many but ultimately you have had choice taken away.

BTW, I am scouser and a key trait to many of us ... is to cut off one's nose to spite yer face...

anyway... choice is always being eroded in favour of what is deemed better by some company or institution... whose knows were the little things start and the trend ends...

weird maybe...

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

maybe... but back in the eighties I stopped going to Anfield and stopped my season ticket because I didn't have the choice to have sugar in my cuppa tea, that is it came out of a big teapot in which sugar was already added and it was that or nowt...  I have never been back since

May be weird but it come down to choice... same as being able to purchase in cash or not. Yep I can see how it can be easier for many but ultimately you have had choice taken away.

BTW, I am scouser and a key trait to many of us ... is to cut off one's nose to spite yer face...

anyway... choice is always being eroded in favour of what is deemed better by some company or institution... whose knows were the little things start and the trend ends...

weird maybe...

Yeah... that's weird.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Speaking of Leeds, last time I went there, which was for NZ v Ireland, they wouldn't accept my card to buy a programme.

"Oh, have you got cash?  We don't have a card machine here."

So not as cashless as they claim.

Cash is vital as an emergency fallback.  I've been in a few places over the years where cards weren't accepted.  Cable thefts, till software down, similar disasters.   It's not common but it's bloody annoying when you want to buy, they want to sell but they can't take your money.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"