The IMG Gradings Thread - Post all your IMG Gradings related questions or comments here

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Surely if IMG build up the value of those rights over that 3 year period then the game will be in a better position when it comes to those gambling rights after that.

Wouldn't it have been better for IMG to build up the value of these rights and it still be in ownership of the RFL and then IMG take a share of any profit as we were advised would be the case.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wouldn't it have been better for IMG to build up the value of these rights and it still be in ownership of the RFL and then IMG take a share of any profit as we were advised would be the case.

Depends who needs the money and when.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Go on then, what has your best mate told you?

The bitterness at this time in a morning H? Really? 😂

The RFL need cash now, they are facing a pretty hefty shortfall following a poorly attended cup final, a Catalans grand final and an underwhelming Tonga tour. 

51 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe the RFL wants this arrangement for the immediate upfront money for something they were getting no/less value from?

I see this as selling the rights to something for 3 years, just the same as we do with SL title rights. If the RFL were not bringing in this amount, which they obviously weren't because they wouldn't sell them for less than they were getting, then it's a guaranteed result for the RFL. If IMG don't deliver then the RFL have got more upfront than they would otherwise with any share deal.  If IMG do increase the value then the rights are worth more in 3 years and again the RFL are in a better position.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The RFL need cash now, they are facing a pretty hefty shortfall following a poorly attended cup final, a Catalans grand final and an underwhelming Tonga tour. 

… 

Edited by iffleyox

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thank you, I wasn't being bitter Tommy I thought your mate was your information conduit.

But anyway, that is what I thought how cash strapped the game is, it will be interesting going forward if IMG do take a lot of money from the gambling rights and the RFL have effectively sold of one of the family jewels.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thank you, I wasn't being bitter Tommy I thought your mate was your information conduit.

But anyway, that is what I thought how cash strapped the game is, it will be interesting going forward if IMG do take a lot of money from the gambling rights and the RFL have effectively sold of one of the family jewels.

It's only a family jewel if the RFL are currently realising the value from it. At the moment it could be more like a few old coppers down the back of a couch.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It just came across that way mate. I do also retain my own opinions!

The RFL, by their own wording, was getting no money out of this at all. This is a new revenue stream and is a deal for 2024 to 2026. 

I see no real downsides for the RFL here. They get a decent wedge of cash upfront for something they did not have the expertise or ability to sell themselves prior, for a relatively short 3 year term, after which the rights will either be worth more (then great) or not worth much (then great we got the cash now).

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's only a family jewel if the RFL are currently realising the value from it. At the moment it could be more like a few old coppers down the back of a couch.

You've just reminded me, I need to go and check. 

Maybe, and this is guesswork because I don't much understand the sports betting market, but maybe to make money from this there would need to be a cash investment, and RLCom are not here for that, so are happy to take cash from a company who has that infrastructure. That would be win/win. 

This partnership doesn't mean that IMG will just give us access to everything for free, and we haven't given them access to our asset for free here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

It just came across that way mate. I do also retain my own opinions!

The RFL, by their own wording, was getting no money out of this at all. This is a new revenue stream and is a deal for 2024 to 2026. 

I see no real downsides for the RFL here. They get a decent wedge of cash upfront for something they did not have the expertise or ability to sell themselves prior, for a relatively short 3 year term, after which the rights will either be worth more (then great) or not worth much (then great we got the cash now).

It all sounds very good. I really don't understand the detail of this arrangement.

My only question would be is IMG the only company which could provide this service and did the RFL get the best deal they could?

I guess we probably will not find this out.

I wouldn't want to think IMG was getting this on the cheap.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dovster said:

It all sounds very good. I really don't understand the detail of this arrangement.

My only question would be is IMG the only company which could provide this service and did the RFL get the best deal they could?

I guess we probably will not find this out.

I wouldn't want to think IMG was getting this on the cheap.

The RFL have never sold the betting rights before, most of us don't even know what it really means.

But yeah, I'm sure we had lots of interested parties bidding for the rights.

It's funny reading the replies of people being negative about it just because IMG is involved.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Click said:

The RFL have never sold the betting rights before, most of us don't even know what it really means.

But yeah, I'm sure we had lots of interested parties bidding for the rights.

It's funny reading the replies of people being negative about it just because IMG is involved.

The Betting Rights are given to companies who then have the sole right to broadcast live footage of X with the subsequent possibility of people consuming X to place a bet via the platform they're consuming the footage.

A bit like when you can watch football games in betting apps.

I have a few mates who are in this type of business. If i remember correctly, the footage, just needs to be footage. It could be one camera and silent, from a legal perspective.

IMG through endeavour are linked to SKYBET, DraftKings etc.

Edit... Someone, probably IMG then receive x on the profits made by the IMG client's Superleague betting activity.

Edited by MattSantos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Just now, MattSantos said:

The Betting Rights are given to companies who then have the sole right to broadcast live footage of X with the subsequent possibility of people consuming X to place a bet via the platform they're consuming the footage.

A bit like when you can watch football games in betting apps.

I have a few mates who are in this type of business. If i remember correctly, the footage, just needs to be footage. It could be one camera and silent, from a legal perspective.

IMG through endeavour are linked to SKYBET, DraftKings etc.

A quick musing... does this then enable them to say all SL games will be covered as they'll all be on/linked to SKYBET?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

22 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

A quick musing... does this then enable them to say all SL games will be covered as they'll all be on/linked to SKYBET?

I`ve a feeling it was the other way round, the RFL. Sky, IMG etc endeavored to get all games on a live feed for just this reason, to get it into the betting main stream, as theres a ridiculous amount of money to be made on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

And, apparently a £450k bill from IMG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JohnM said:

As the BBC reported it:

Super League and the Rugby Football League have announced a 12-year partnership with management company IMG to maximise the sport's growth.

Clubs supported the creation of a joint venture aimed at "maximising" the whole game's commercial value as one product.

So not "a consultant" and not "a look over" but a key implementer. 

So despite what some continue to claim not just a spreadsheet manager

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Has it been mentioned in any other thread Dave, just asking.

Well Harry. Firstly, my post wasn't to be taken entirely seriously. 

And secondly, the search function allows me to see that a poster named Harry Stottle did in fact mention the £450k IMG bill on the Magic Weekend thread and the London Broncos 2024 thread. 😆

• Haha 10