IMG Gradings

BridKnight

Bradford has published full breakdown. Seem to have done well on Fandom and Community. York has 20.5k followers on X / Twitter not 9.5k so a bit closer to Bradford . As regards finance, haven’t they been in Adminstration three times and had to borrow from the RFL ? 

16 hours ago, Mick the Miller said:

Can't understand why Bradford are 2 points above us for the past 2 years apart from fan base. They came 9th in 2022 and made a loss of about £250k, have borrowings of about £1M and their stadium and pitch is nothing compared to ours. They have not been in SL for years due to past history. Even there women's team is in SL2. Maybe they get bonus points because Nobby and Wood are involved???? 

Unfortunately Mick, there is no "Is your ground a dump?" grading in the IMG grading handbook 😄 The ground gradings are all about corporate and broadcasting facilities, so Oldslum don't lose out.

They will probably do well in terms of their "Fandom" reach, and on "Community" too - the gradings for Foundations are done on turnover/size quite crudely, and I imagine the Bulls' Foundation falls into the top foundation bracket in terms of income.

I agree that their balance sheet must have been an outstanding example of the accountant's art, but undoubtedly their total turnover (which is scored under IMG) will be bigger than York's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cookesp said:

Bradford has published full breakdown. Seem to have done well on Fandom and Community. York has 20.5k followers on X / Twitter not 9.5k so a bit closer to Bradford . As regards finance, haven’t they been in Adminstration three times and had to borrow from the RFL ? 

It only goes off the last 3 years I believe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Unfortunately Mick, there is no "Is your ground a dump?" grading in the IMG grading handbook 😄 The ground gradings are all about corporate and broadcasting facilities, so Oldslum don't lose out.

They will probably do well in terms of their "Fandom" reach, and on "Community" too - the gradings for Foundations are done on turnover/size quite crudely, and I imagine the Bulls' Foundation falls into the top foundation bracket in terms of income.

I agree that their balance sheet must have been an outstanding example of the accountant's art, but undoubtedly their total turnover (which is scored under IMG) will be bigger than York's.

Their turnover is obviously higher but so are their losses. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cookesp said:

I was referring to Facebook followers which is 9.5k, you are correct 20.5 on Twitter which I personally don’t use much. I guess then apart from the match day experience and other areas the club might want to figure out why they only have half of the Twitter followers on Facebook. For Bradford it’s pretty much the same amount on both platforms. I’m not bored/sad enough to work out other clubs 🤣

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

I was referring to Facebook followers which is 9.5k, you are correct 20.5 on Twitter which I personally don’t use much. I guess then apart from the match day experience and other areas the club might want to figure out why they only have half of the Twitter followers on Facebook. For Bradford it’s pretty much the same amount on both platforms. I’m not bored/sad enough to work out other clubs 🤣

When I took over as media manager in December 2016 we managed to get the Twitter login details off the old regime. Sadly the previous Chairman had completely torpedoed the Facebook page (with 12k likes if I remember right), so I had to start that from scratch. 😬

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

When I took over as media manager in December 2016 we managed to get the Twitter login details off the old regime. Sadly the previous Chairman had completely torpedoed the Facebook page (with 12k likes if I remember right), so I had to start that from scratch. 😬

That explains it. He sounds a lovely chap 🙄

23 hours ago, DEANO said:

Almost done with this great game of ours

Come on John don't give up , the championship is going to be fantastic next season, plenty of local derby's against sides evenly matched , sod superleague, enjoy the highs and lows us loyal York fans live for.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Come on John don't give up , the championship is going to be fantastic next season, plenty of local derby's against sides evenly matched , sod superleague, enjoy the highs and lows us loyal York fans live for.

Massive part of my life and always has been but sky tried to kill clubs off 20 odd years ago and it looks like img are going to get their vision over the line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Massive part of my life and always has been but sky tried to kill clubs off 20 odd years ago and it looks like img are going to get their vision over the line

If we stop going they undoubtedly will.

I've had my wobbles this season - especially as my dad can no longer attend due to ill health. But doing the ladies grand final with better half and kids in tow has made me think again. Hendo is putting together a solid looking squad that we know will give their all and, more importantly, play entertaining rugby. And as we move into a new era we have an owner that, on the face of it, has a sensible and sustainable visison for the club.

And if nowt else, it's always worth turning up to the LNER to watch us beat them bloody Bulls for another season 😅

• Like 7

Nothing against our club and I’ll still be going next season. Just don’t like the direction the game is going. Promotion should be decided on the field and probably minimum standards re stadia. Will be interesting to see if they carry out these standards as they never did when sky ran the game. Points for social media and fandom is pathetic in my view

• Like 4

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

On 26/10/2023 at 13:01, RBKnight said:

Their (BBBBB Ltd) accounts filed with Companies House tell very little (well to be honest nothing) about the state of their finances. The 3 sets filed since incorporation, in a remarkable case of coincidence, contain exactly the same numbers.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Their (BBBBB Ltd) accounts filed with Companies House tell very little (well to be honest nothing) about the state of their finances. The 3 sets filed since incorporation, in a remarkable case of coincidence, contain exactly the same numbers.

You need to look at Bradford Bulls (2017). BBBBB Limited are just the shareholders so irrelevant finance wise. 

13 minutes ago, Mick the Miller said:

You need to look at Bradford Bulls (2017). BBBBB Limited are just the shareholders so irrelevant finance wise. 

Cheers, I thought everything had been transferred to the new company when Wood and co took over. Not much chance of them borrowing the money to buy back the Odsal lease by the looks......

54 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Cheers, I thought everything had been transferred to the new company when Wood and co took over. Not much chance of them borrowing the money to buy back the Odsal lease by the looks......

No they had to take over the existing company or be relegated again due to liquidation. Just refinanced it with bank loans. 

• Thanks 1

On 26/10/2023 at 12:24, cookesp said:

No. The current Bradford club is a completely new entity. The old club was finally liquidated this year, I believe. (Please don't start a thread about this, life is too short.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 28/10/2023 at 14:49, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Does any club below SL, or even those in SL, file complete accounts or do they all count as small companies? (Genuine question - I don't know the answer.) If not then the finance criteria will cause us all to scratch our heads as there is very little actual information available, unless you are a shareholder.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Does any club below SL, or even those in SL, file complete accounts or do they all count as small companies? (Genuine question - I don't know the answer.) If not then the finance criteria will cause us all to scratch our heads as there is very little actual information available, unless you are a shareholder.

Just look up Bradford Bulls (2017) at Companies House for their balance sheet and notes to the accounts. Not great for 2022 when they came 9th...

18 minutes ago, Mick the Miller said:

Just look up Bradford Bulls (2017) at Companies House for their balance sheet and notes to the accounts. Not great for 2022 when they came 9th...

I guess, as stipulated in the grading handbook, that these creditors cannot call in these debts within 12 months. As I implied in my question, however, these are abbreviated accounts which tell us very little and I guess that this applies to most, if not all, RL clubs.

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I guess, as stipulated in the grading handbook, that these creditors cannot call in these debts within 12 months. As I implied in my question, however, these are abbreviated accounts which tell us very little and I guess that this applies to most, if not all, RL clubs.

I think the 12 month rule only applies to director's loans/investments and not other creditors. I've only seen 2 published scoring breakdowns for clubs outside SL which show Bradford getting 2.75pts for Finance and 'fax 0.55pts!

AFAIK only Leeds, St Helens, Warrington and Wigan publish full accounts. Unsure as to whether Catalans would be big enough to have to do so if based in the UK.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Thanks 3