England vs Samoa Series

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I'd honestly take one to the Emirates.

This has all the markings of a low risk (sic), low budget effort. The two tests are probably Friday night and Sunday evening of the same weekend.

Emirates or WHL would be lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

This has all the markings of a low risk (sic), low budget effort. The two tests are probably Friday night and Sunday evening of the same weekend.

Emirates or WHL would be lovely.

Huddresfield and Wakefield, it hast to be at the M62 corridor. They do not want to grow the game

• Sad 2

If it's only 2 tests we need to also be playing France for 2 tests too to test out combinations, develop the team etc. (the france tests could be in france)

I personally would love to see the first Samoa test at St James park - tap into all the people that attended the WC opener. market it as a revenge game for samoa or something. 

Could we then be brave enough to do the second test in london?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

I'd honestly take one to the Emirates.

I'd absolutely go to London for one, but I wasn't overly impressed with the Emirates, and I'd wanted to go for years. 

I actually think a 2 test series is the right way to go. I think 3 test series are a bit old fashioned and not necessary. If we can get another game, probably France as well to give us three games that's OK. If Samoa can play a test Down Under before they come here it feels like a decent approach. 

28 minutes ago, Jack GB said:

If it's only 2 tests we need to also be playing France for 2 tests too to test out combinations, develop the team etc. (the france tests could be in france)

I personally would love to see the first Samoa test at St James park - tap into all the people that attended the WC opener. market it as a revenge game for samoa or something. 

Could we then be brave enough to do the second test in london?

We need to target sensible growth here. We got 40k for Tonga, averaging 13k per game. 

I think it should be a target to be getting 20-25k for these games. 

Elland Rd and a London ground if possible would be good. I like St James' though and would be happy with that too. 

Warm up - Cumbria v England

Home nations - Wales v England

Test 1 - England v Samoa (London)

Test 2 - England v Samoa (M62)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I actually think a 2 test series is the right way to go. I think 3 test series are a bit old fashioned and not necessary. If we can get another game, probably France as well to give us three games that's OK. If Samoa can play a test Down Under before they come here it feels like a decent approach. 

If the plan is to play them along the M62, 2 tests is probably the right approach - playing Tonga in Huddersfield and Leeds last year probably brought in about the same revenue as playing one game in Yorkshire would've done, but incurred an extra week's costs. Only worth going to 3 tests when you have 2 sold out games.

Availability of non-RL venues in October with only a few months notice will be a challenge I would think. Certainly wouldn't expect any Premier League grounds (or indeed Elland Road) to be likely options. 

• Like 1

Good news if true. I'd love to see us take a game to London but I'm expecting one this side of the Pennines (probably Warrington or St Helens) and one in Yorkshire (Headingley). I have no issue with Headingley after the crowd for the Tonga game last year but we need to be more ambitious with the other. Sadly the timescales will make that unlikely. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Brentford is the place however expect the usual suspects which will be depressing 

I'd hope we would be aiming to beat 17k for attendance. Has an England game in London ever got that low amount?

46 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Brentford is the place however expect the usual suspects which will be depressing 

Be interesting to know whether Brentford would be available for hire - I guess the loss of London Irish means it might be a possibility. Similar size to the grounds we're likely to use up North too.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I actually think a 2 test series is the right way to go.

It's one of those frustrating situations because if it goes to 2-0, I do think that a third test can feel a bit pointless. But if it goes to 1-1, I would like a decisive 3rd test. Otherwise it's unfinished business.

• Like 1