Save London Skolars Gofundme Page Please help

IM2

A post from Twitter today that shows the work the club is still doing raising the profile of the game which the funding will help continue-

Islington primary Tag Rugby League festival,played a stones throw from Kings Cross Lndn,120 players Supported by 5 Skolars staff and expert advice given to players/teachers. Challenge Cup on display and the kids loved having photos taken with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought of contacting Rugby League Review magazine and getting a story done ? Might drag in some Aussie dollars...which admittedly is not much chop against the pound at the moment 😁

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

On 29/11/2023 at 18:26, IM2 said:

should be a big announcement around Capital Challenge soon as well showing good signs of life at the club.

Don't be coy on this board ,  Wassup on the Capital Challenge and just as importantly who will be playing in it...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Damien said:

This all sounds pretty grim for the Skolars:

Some Skolars players went to other league 1 teams including Cornwall & North Wales Crusaders, one got signed in Australia playing Q cup for Townsville Blackhawks. A number went to play for other London amateur teams like West Warriors.

Only a couple appear to have stayed with Skolars in their amateur team which looks like it is made up of very young players.

• Thanks 1

I think they've completely underestimated the challenge of moving from semi pro to amateur. I've seen it with Coventry Bears and it's like completely starting all over. I think they've made a real error in entering the Southern Conference. They should have aimed lower and built the club up again before doing so.

Edited by OriginalMrC
  • Like 1

As stated they should forget pride, started at the lower level, invested in kids. The younger players will not want to play for them if getting thumped each week, no fun in that. I wonder what happened to the money, was it for rent n bills?

6 hours ago, newbe said:

As stated they should forget pride, started at the lower level, invested in kids. The younger players will not want to play for them if getting thumped each week, no fun in that. 

I don’t disagree but I think the playing with reduced numbers will impact them first. 

On 22/04/2024 at 08:09, OriginalMrC said:

I think they've completely underestimated the challenge of moving from semi pro to amateur. I've seen it with Coventry Bears and it's like completely starting all over. I think they've made a real error in entering the Southern Conference. They should have aimed lower and built the club up again before doing so.

They 100% did - they were warned though. The major USP’s they had were Semi pro league and paying players, ex SL player as coach etc 

With those all gone - why would players travel to Wood Green to play for Skolars when they have West’s, Hoists, Chargers  et al geographically closer to them in the same league?!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, langpark said:

£8,821 was raised in the end it seems.  Sounds like it was to clear existing debts, by the sounds of it.  Let's hope it was not all done in vain and something can be done to save the club and secure their long-term future.

& the money raised from the ‘Capital Challenge’….

On 21/04/2024 at 18:35, Damien said:

This all sounds pretty grim for the Skolars:

Grim but predictable. This is their shortest away game of the year as well. 

Imagine when it’s SW London, Colchester or Bristol.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cb2 said:

They 100% did - they were warned though. The major USP’s they had were Semi pro league and paying players, ex SL player as coach etc 

With those all gone - why would players travel to Wood Green to play for Skolars when they have West’s, Hoists, Chargers  et al geographically closer to them in the same league?!

Fair points.

8 hours ago, Cb2 said:

That's a pretty big fall from grace for the Skolars.  Last year they had an A team in the London and South East division as well as their semi-pro firsts.

So they have lost their firsts and also the group who maybe would have relished a crack at the Southern Conference who played London and South East last year.

As you say, there is a vibrant amateur scene in and around Chiswick, Hammersmith and Acton with Chargers and Wests turning out a first team in the Conference and seconds in the London League and Hammersmith in the Conference. 

I know there is historically a lot of Aussies and Kiwis in West London which will help these teams but I hope Skolars can build up a competitive side soon.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 23/04/2024 at 09:46, Cb2 said:

Grim but predictable. This is their shortest away game of the year as well. 

Imagine when it’s SW London, Colchester or Bristol.

The game against Bedford was closer but yes it is sad and it is very hard to see how there could be any realistic route back into higher levels.

I have to say, on a personal level, I and my son have gone from someone who avidly followed the game a few years ago to someone who now occasionally watches a game on the BBC. All my attempts to follow a RL club in London have not been a very joyful experience. It is such a shame the powers that be cannot help RL have some sustainable and realistic presence in the capital that is a drama. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I follow Hemel Stags on social media.  They seem to be a great example of a club that smoothly transitioned back to being amateur and look like they are doing well.  I do believe they own their ground AND clubhouse/bar though, so I suppose are far more financially robust than the Skolars are.

Edit:  and also seem to have an U16s team this year.

Edited by langpark
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, langpark said:

I follow Hemel Stags on social media.  They seem to be a great example of a club that smoothly transitioned back to being amateur and look like they are doing well.  I do believe they own their ground AND clubhouse/bar though, so I suppose are far more financially robust than the Skolars are.

Edit:  and also seem to have an U16s team this year.

Hemel have had very similar issues to Skolars and frequently fail to raise a team. The transition has been anything but smooth.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 22/04/2024 at 12:54, langpark said:

£8,821 was raised in the end it seems.  Sounds like it was to clear existing debts, by the sounds of it.  Let's hope it was not all done in vain and something can be done to save the club and secure their long-term future.

Mmmm - that's what worries me about these appeals.  The money disappears down a black hole.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"