Wigan v Penrith World Club challenge at the JJB

16 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

But I thought we were days away from oblivion because of insurance issues? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'm glad that it's going to be under international rules.

Nice to see the Bill Ashurst medal for the MOTM. A good gesture.

Except for the NRL ball stealing law. A player can still ball steal one on one if his teammates have dropped off the tackle.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Except for the NRL ball stealing law. A player can still ball steal one on one if his teammates have dropped off the tackle.

Ah, I don't like that one. Once there is more than one in the tackle, I think the one-on-one strip should be out. It is unfair on the man being tackled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And from Rhodri Jones pretty much exactly what I have been saying the last few pages when it comes to playing in bigger stadiums and making the event bigger and better:

He said: “It’s a real challenge for Wigan to consider moving the World Club Challenge away from the DW Stadium, for example. Wigan are paying for Penrith to come over, they’ve got to cover that cost and then earn some money from the game – that’s part of the benefit of being the champions.

“They could go to Old Trafford – but it’s a six-figure hire fee. That’s where we need to take the next iteration of Super League though, pushing our boundaries and taking some of our better games out of home advantage stadiums and taking them on the road.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/super-leagues-biggest-games-could-head-to-neutral-venues-to-boost-rugby-league-profile

1 hour ago, Damien said:

And from Rhodri Jones pretty much exactly what I have been saying the last few pages when it comes to playing in bigger stadiums and making the event bigger and better:

He said: “It’s a real challenge for Wigan to consider moving the World Club Challenge away from the DW Stadium, for example. Wigan are paying for Penrith to come over, they’ve got to cover that cost and then earn some money from the game – that’s part of the benefit of being the champions.

“They could go to Old Trafford – but it’s a six-figure hire fee. That’s where we need to take the next iteration of Super League though, pushing our boundaries and taking some of our better games out of home advantage stadiums and taking them on the road.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/super-leagues-biggest-games-could-head-to-neutral-venues-to-boost-rugby-league-profile

Yeah, it just wasn’t feasible this time but in the future it would be fantastic. What needs to be taken away though is the ‘will it, won’t it happen’ nature of the event. It goes year to year with everyone not knowing where it will be or if it will even take place. It needs putting in stone and ideally I think you’d want to alternate it between the UK and Australia or maybe it finds a permanent home in Vegas or that is brought in on a rotational basis. Ultimately though we need the NRL to buy in to it and Saturdays result will be important on that score. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This really is where the game needs to be pushing this, not leaving the hosting to individual clubs. For major events we should be sharing the risk more, otherwise we will always just play at home grounds.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This really is where the game needs to be pushing this, not leaving the hosting to individual clubs. For major events we should be sharing the risk more, otherwise we will always just play at home grounds.

Yep it should definitely be a game solution and not always on the English club to get this on. The NRL for sure has a role to play.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I would agree with you for big domestic finals/events.  When there are two uk sides.

But I think the WCC is a bit different.  I think there is real value in Wigan playing at their home ground - I think it is better for the players and the fans... and also significantly increases their chances of winning.

And it is a chance for the Wigan club to showcase what a special night in their home ground can look like.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I would agree with you for big domestic finals/events.  When there are two uk sides.

But I think the WCC is a bit different.  I think there is real value in Wigan playing at their home ground - I think it is better for the players and the fans... and also significantly increases their chances of winning.

And it is a chance for the Wigan club to showcase what a special night in their home ground can look like.

I think we get away with it somewhat because Wigan is a large ground and looks great for something like this, but the event in Penrith last year was poor and I don't find the same level of prestige at Saints when they have hosted it. Similarly, if the likes of Wire or Salford would have won the GF it wouldn't have been overly prestigious. 

I'd love to see us staging events like we did with Widnes v Canberra, 30k at OT, and even some of the games at Hudds, Bolton and Elland Road over the home ground games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

RFL getting strict on head contact … until NRL tell them otherwise. Absolute waste of space of an organisation. Albeit I’m happy with the rules for this weekend. Great job NRL!

• Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 minute ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

RFL getting strict on head contact … until NRL tell them otherwise. Absolute waste of space of an organisation. Albeit I’m happy with the rules for this weekend. Great job NRL!

It's a match under international rules, I'm not sure how you can blame the RFL. It is quite correct that the RFL's interpretation does not apply. If the boot was on the other foot then we certainly would not want the NRL rules to apply.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

Nice to see the important things being put in place. No idea how good these things are but if they cut the queues that's good enough for me:

They should do one that dispenses Wrigleys. EBAR gum!

Edited by Gomersall
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Ah, I don't like that one. Once there is more than one in the tackle, I think the one-on-one strip should be out. It is unfair on the man being tackled.

Agree, unfair as much easier to coordinate step off and rip than predict when it's coming and guard against it. Imagine there'll be a lot of that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

Nice to see the important things being put in place. No idea how good these things are but if they cut the queues that's good enough for me:

Would obviously be better if it wasn't a manufactured "foreign" beer - but I do like innovation

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 08:57, Damien said:

Interesting, as this is an international competition under international rules I thought it would be a no brainer that the changes wouldnt apply in this match:

I think a 'no brainer' is what they risk by not playing to new RFL rules. Can see there being lots of high contact from Penrith because they can, 'man's game' etc...

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Would obviously be better if it wasn't a manufactured "foreign" beer - but I do like innovation

Yep, made up new, supposedly Spanish beer, brewed in the UK and copying Moretti branding. All marketing and hype.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yep, made up new, supposedly Spanish beer, brewed in the UK and copying Moretti branding. All marketing and hype.

Its about as Spanish as a tattie pot.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

This is the ideal game to throw to the sportswashing Saudis to bankroll. Get some significant prize money and elevate the prestige of the event

These are great, they have similar units at cricket. Work really well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Damien said:

It's a match under international rules, I'm not sure how you can blame the RFL. It is quite correct that the RFL's interpretation does not apply. If the boot was on the other foot then we certainly would not want the NRL rules to apply.

Fair point, and yes if we applied NRL rules I’d be frustrated. Agree it’s correct to apply international rules.

The one caveat here is that it’s not about whether we like / dislike a 2pt drop goal or whether we like / dislike the way a video ref is used (remember England vs Aus in Melbourne where the NRL video ref approach was used in an international match). This is about the RFL taking a stance on safety which they seem able to remove in certain fixtures. Now maybe this is also the solution for 2026 RLWC or 2025 Tours and maybe we accept that. Over time though this will also put us at a disadvantage in these fixtures playing teams who are used to using ‘stronger’ defensive techniques.

Well, there's my birthday present sorted.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris