The lowest score that's never happened

1 hour ago, Moove said:

That brings back memories. Visibility was that bad we couldn't see far enough across the pitch to watch the try being scored. Horrible weather, horrible game, horrible journey too IIRC

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially saints only scoring when crusader player was off the field having his thumb put back In (think it was Steve tyrer) other than that it was set for a draw.

But yes mud bath in a monsoon.

43 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I was at the replay but I was only young so i don’t remember lot’s about it. Think it was Tony Anderson who scored the winning try

It was indeed off a Keith Neller(the prop) grubber through. I literally remember 2 things about that game, that try and a goalkeeper like dive by John Pendlebury to catch a ball that was going in to touch yet I have no idea why he did it because I don't think it was from a penalty. From the first game I vaguely remember a lot of drop goal attempts but nothing else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Posted this and been stuck in a work meeting since! Some great responses to this. I don't know the answer but I am sure there is someone out there that does. I am thinking it will be something like 13-3. 

I remember a 13-3 very vividly. It was the score Hull beat Hull KR in the very last BBC Floodlit Trophy Final.

Think you're right though. It's going to be higher than people think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

It was indeed off a Keith Neller(the prop) grubber through. I literally remember 2 things about that game, that try and a goalkeeper like dive by John Pendlebury to catch a ball that was going in to touch yet I have no idea why he did it because I don't think it was from a penalty. From the first game I vaguely remember a lot of drop goal attempts but nothing else.

The only thing I remember about the first game is a clearing kick by Gary Pearce going almost the full length of the field assisted by a near gale force wind blowing down the pitch.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

KR 2 Barrow 1 as well I think. 1994 maybe?

EDIT - that finished 0-1!

October 1994 I think at Craven Park Hull, I played for Barrow in that game we won 0-1, Mike ‘Bluey’ Kavanagh kicked the drop goal on about 70 mins

Edited by The Vet
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Tony Anderson got them to the final but then I think got dropped for final

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Gary Pearce kicked the DG. Were  highlights on Sportsnight?

I remember Gary Pearce as the big signing for Scarborough Pirates. They were the purple pioneers of RL before Melbourne Storm. Coincidentally, Hull FC had recently courted controversy by adding splodges of purple to the irregular black and white hoops.

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Posted this and been stuck in a work meeting since! Some great responses to this. I don't know the answer but I am sure there is someone out there that does. I am thinking it will be something like 13-3. 

Hull v Hull KR Floodlit Trophy final circa 1979/80. I know because for years they were my tote double numbers 😂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If you trace this thread back, looks like @Gomersall is rather at cross purposes. And led me a merry dance up the garden path.

Someone mentioned Halifax drawing 0-0 with Hull KR. They meant Hull FC in 1988 but for some reason you and Lowdesert went off on a Greg Mackey inspired tangent. 😂🤣😂

According to the Rothmans Yearbook, it was 13/10/1990 Hull 3 Warrington 2, Greg Mackey got the DG. And as mentioned previously, a week later Warrington also lost to Oldham by 4 points to 2. 

Same season, Warrington also beat Ryedale York in the 1st round of the CC by 8 points to 1.