Magic Weekend

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Again from a purely selfish point of view I reckon the atmosphere at the Warrington Leeds game will be great, I think there will be a lot of casual Leeds fans go, I can imagine the first day selling out

Don't get ahead of yourself Chris, your lot are bulled up year on year with your new signings, just wait and see.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

The 5 best supported teams, including one from that city and a derby that last year got a 24k sell-out, should really be selling out a 37k stadium. The trouble is the powers that be will hail that a success.

Putting the wigan saints derby on the same day as the Leeds game is utter madness ill give you that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't get ahead of yourself Chris, your lot are bulled up year on year with your new signings, just wait and see.

Harry, we’re the best supported team in the league, regardless of how well we play and Leeds are hosting it. They will sell plenty of tickets to Leeds fans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

There is a different perspective from us Leigh fans. Last year was only our 3rd appearance at Magic Weekend, and our 1st victory, so obviously we can’t wait for this year’s event.

As for Elland Road, its capacity is just under 38,000 and going off previous attendances at MW, it should be almost full for both days, which should ensure a cracking atmosphere. As for dislike of loop fixtures, Derek tried to achieve a 14 team Superleague when we were in the Championship, but through self interest he was double crossed. Superleague teams will never vote for 1/14 of the pie rather than 1/12.

This is a fallacy that is used on here alot. Smaller venues don't carry the same crowd making it a better atmosphere. Most always smaller venues just bring smaller crowds.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, meast said:

Leigh and Hull KR will fill the place, don't worry 😁

I’m sure they will each bring a respectable amount of supporters to the game but will probably look a bit dwarfed in a fairly big stadium like ER.

And even if they bought 30k between them, the vast majority won’t be hanging around after their own games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

This is a fallacy that is used on here alot. Smaller venues don't carry the same crowd making it a better atmosphere. Most always smaller venues just bring smaller crowds.

Yes a lot of people argue that 40k at St James Park would mean that had the same game taken place at Elland Rd it would have meant a sell out - but it doesn’t work like that. As we see repeatedly. 

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Why didnt they just play it at Headingley? At least its not a bad day out for spectators that way.

Headingley has got the location I.E all the amenities bars restaurants etc and 19.800 capacity it will look full ,but wait what about that bloody wester terrace? Yes but it's high summer great chance it wont rain . Yes ,but the bloody Sun will get in my eyes . Sorry 

• Haha 2

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

59 minutes ago, meast said:

Leigh and Hull KR will fill the place, don't worry 😁

Already booked my seat measty boy, it is the recliner aside the French Doors at home, but only on the Sunday for the Leigh/Salford game after that out for a walk with the missus, on Saturday I will be leaning on the fence at either Leigh East or Leigh Miners for whoever is at home.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Its not his job to sell the sport. 

And like anyone else Ryan is allowed an opinion but he better watch out, fines have been thrown around like confetti this year even it seems for being accused of giving someone a 'nasty look', he could be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for implying a negative assessment of the sports governing body. 

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

well if that's the case why should fans bother.

Talk about helping to sell his sport.

In fairness to Brierley, the players are stakeholders in this sport too and, it seems, ones who are rarely consulted on how the game operates. 

You could argue that's down to the players union to be stronger, but I would wager that there are a number of issues within the game, commercial and non-commercial, that wouldn't be harmed by some player input. Even the Premier League listens to representations from club captains..

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

IMG don't make any decisions. They offer advice, which SL chooses to either heed or ignore.

Woosh. Sorry Gav, my post was perhaps too subtly tongue-in-cheek for it to be read correctly.

Elland Road is a bad & unpopular choice for Magic, and if it goes badly, that's fuel for IMG to implement the chnages they suggested.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

What's the point of having it at all if we have it at Headingley?

Why not? Good stadium, should get a good crowd as its pretty central for everyone. Plenty to do in the area so people can make a fantastic weekend of it and I imagine it would be cheaper than Elland road. I know there is the problem that it is like a home game for Leeds but just do what they did for the Summer Bash in York and class the club whom stadium is getting used as the away team. 

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Woosh. Sorry Gav, my post was perhaps too subtly tongue-in-cheek for it to be read correctly.

Elland Road is a bad & unpopular choice for Magic, and if it goes badly, that's fuel for IMG to implement the chnages they suggested.

The point being IMG can’t implement any changes.

If they could there wouldn’t have been a magic next year.

5 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Why not? Good stadium, should get a good crowd as its pretty central for everyone. Plenty to do in the area so people can make a fantastic weekend of it and I imagine it would be cheaper than Elland road. I know there is the problem that it is like a home game for Leeds but just do what they did for the Summer Bash in York and class the club whom stadium is getting used as the away team. 

How many are likely to ‘make a fantastic weekend of it’?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1